• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

milspray vs rapco

jbolty

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, did not see it from searching.

I ordered a couple of rattle cans from Rapco, 686 Tan, to test the color match on my truck. To my untrained eye it looks like a dead bang match.

Before I order a gallon from Rapco is there any benefit to paying several times to cost for milspray? Is there a difference?

Thanks

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't dealt with Milspray, but have used Rapco's paint extensively over several years with very good results. Mark fills the rattle cans himself from gallons (neat to watch) so they match nicely.

Cheers

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used Rapco (Gillespie) with good results.

I didn't know he filled his own spray cans. What is the process? I'm assuming it's some sort of machine?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. He takes gallons and stirs them up all nice and smooth, then pours the paint into the machine and injects it into the cans. Much smaller setup than I thought it would be, fits in the corner of a room. But the result is spray paint that exactly matches your gallons.

Cheers

jbolty

Thanks. Kind of what I though too. I'm sure milspray is good too but $189 per gallon plus shipping is a little steep.

I'll order it tomorrow.

Cheers

deuceman51

The main difference I think is that Mil spray sells actual CARC and Rapco sells enamel. I have used rapco on tons of things and don't have a bad thing to say. Mark is an excellent guy to deal with. If you want actual new CARC, I sell it for $70 a gallon new production. PM me if you are interested.

CCATLETT1984

deuceman51 said:
The main difference I think is that Mil spray sells actual CARC and Rapco sells enamel. I have used rapco on tons of things and don't have a bad thing to say. Mark is an excellent guy to deal with. If you want actual new CARC, I sell it for $70 a gallon new production. PM me if you are interested.
What is the shelf-life for the paint in un-opened cans? I know once its opened its a use it or lose it deal.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
JBOLTY: Can you post some pics of the color match? I am looking for some touch-up tan paint.

Thanks!

jpinst

I have used Milspray and attest that they make good paint. They will not sell CARC to the general public though. However, they have a single stage paint that I use that is the same as the CARC minus the silicon particles that makes CARC chemical resistant. It looks really good and matches nicely.

jbolty

deuceman51 said:
The paint that milspray is quoting to me is CARC substitue.

Real carc is not important to me. I want the paint so I can paint my jeep to match my M1031 and also for some touch up on the truck.

I'll post a couple of pix of the match when I get home tonight.

I just ordered a gal of 686 tan and a gallon of primer from Rapco.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I just used Rapco tan paint last Friday on my 1988 M35a2c to hit the bed hinge areas and other smaller areas on the truck. Paint is a direct match. I could take a picture but you really couldn't tell what I did. I'm really impressed with the match. The paint was at my door approx 4 days after the order.

Andy

jbolty

BKubu said:
JBOLTY: Can you post some pics of the color match? I am looking for some touch-up tan paint.

Thanks!
Here's the pix.

first one is of the edge of my tool box door. The truck was originally OD and they painted it without opening the doors so it was green on the inside edge.

The second picture is a piece of white cardboard that I sprayed. Looks perfect to me and no prep and no primer.

KAILUAZ

I was going to use MILSPRAY for my project, but after asking around about Gillespie I couldn't bring myself to pay the extra money for the MILSPRAY.
On a side note MILSPRAY will send you a sample if you ask, you can choose the roller or spray. I emailed them and got the sample two days later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks