• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mineral Oil in a Multifuel?

Friend of mine has a line on about a 1000 gallons a year of used mineral oil that was formerly used to insulate transformers.......... can this be burnt in a multi? I told him I was 99% sure it could be but I thought I'd ask.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transformer oil will work. I've tried it myself. But as always mix it with diesel. I can see using it to help reduce fuel costs. But not as the primary fuel. I've had problems starting a cold engine when i mixed too much oil on the fuel. But after it's warm it runs fine.

ygmir

is it just straight mineral oil?
I've heard of really nasty stuff in some of the transformer cooling oils.
You might want to be sure.........

Blood_of_Tyrants

Many years ago they used oils with PCB's (powerful cancer causing agent) in them but not now. If the oils had PCB's in them the power company would NEVER be allowed to just give them away. They would be required to handle them as a hazardous chemical and they would be disposed of by injecting the oil into a very hot furnace flame. If the transformers are less than 20-25 years old, then the oil is safe to burn in your truck.

citizensoldier

You have friends? Man your lucky.. After some discussion about this type oil with some knowlegable people.. It should burn fine in a multi.. The only issue was possible metal particals in it.. I guess from the transformers heating up and cooling down they can break down on the inside.. So maybe testing some at a lab to see whats in it and or a magnetic filter type set up...

So my response to him based on your answers is " yes you can burn it, dilute it with diesel, make sure it's clean and metal free by some means such as magnet, filter or both"

That's exactly what I was looking for thank you gents!

Oh and no need for surprise it's true the only friends I have are my old lady and my big green trucks...... I just call all of fellow SS members friends so i sound more popular.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Re: RE: Mineral Oil in a Multifuel?

GunnersHusband said:
Oh and no need for surprise it's true the only friends I have are my old lady and my big green trucks...... I just call all of fellow SS members friends so i sound more popular.
Ditto!