• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Minimal Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) for a cucv

cobra

searched, the forums, and i would like to know, what the minimal CCA i should have in the batteries. Also the size, cca, as well as price woulod be appreciated.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The current 6TMF batteries, which have replaced the 6TL's, typically have 750 CCA. They usually are rated for 200+ minutes of reserve capacity and measure about 11" x 10.5" x 9H. They are heavy as hell (75lbs or so) and they are expensive (usually $120-$160 each new :shock: ), although there is the lucky soul or two who have the connection to get "blems" from their local guy....

There is also another size battery (rectangular) that will fit the CUCV battery trays. Might be a group 31??? Someone else can chime in with the number for sure, but I think you can get them at Tractor Supply or other places for a more reasonable sum.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Put 1050 CA 875 CCA in mine but took some mods

He CUCV Fan:
I am right down the road from you and wondered if you are putting them in your CUCV or an M35? I got two batteries a couple of weeks ago that are 1050 Cranking Amp and have a three year replacement gaurentee with a 10 year warranty for $63 each. I put them in the M35 but had to mod the box a little to make them fit. I will be posting pictures as soon as I get my camera going. We will have to get together sometime since we are so close.

M1075

RE: Put 1050 CA 875 CCA in mine but took some mods

Check out interstate batteries website. They have specs on the 6TLs and other sizes too. Thanks to tips from other SS members, I was able to pick up 6 of the 6TL blems last week for $40 each. New ones are just over $100, but I think the 6TLs are a lot better battery than normal car/truck batteries.

devilman96

Optima battery makes a adaptor plate that fits the military 6TL battery tray to their gel cells... The CCA will be higher but the RC will be a little lower pending which battery you buy. If you are worried about forwarding the 6TL and the gel cells are your only safe bets.

Towman2277

Also guys. always remember that the colder it is, the less "actual" CCA's you will have at the starter. I believe the CCA is rated at 72 degrees (which is a beautiful day!), but the colder the day is from there when you start the truck, the less amps you will have, so it does not hurt to buy the "bigger" CCA batteries. Just my 2cents ! Steve

mangus580

Honestly, for a CUCV, I would not use the 6tl's, they are huge, and heavy, and wreak havoc on the innerfender.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I was looking for 6TL's recently and the Battery Warehouse guy I have used for years told me they are hard to come by since we are using hundreds of thousands of them in Iraq and Afghanistan. I can atest to that as I saw mountains of dead ones in both countries on my recent year plus deployment. I found two 1050 Cranking Amp with over 900 CCA for 63 buck see my earlier post for a CUCV they are the best I could find for the price and replacement warranty.

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: Put 1050 CA 875 CCA in mine but took some mods

Towman2277 said:
Also guys. always remember that the colder it is, the less "actual" CCA's you will have at the starter. I believe the CCA is rated at 72 degrees (which is a beautiful day!), but the colder the day is from there when you start the truck, the less amps you will have, so it does not hurt to buy the "bigger" CCA batteries. Just my 2cents ! Steve
Cold cranking amps (CCA) is a measurement of the number of amps a battery can deliver at 0 ° F for 30 seconds and not drop below 7.2 volts. So a high CCA battery rating is good especially in cold weather.

CA is cranking amps measured at 32 degrees F. This rating is also called marine cranking amps (MCA). Hot cranking amps (HCA) is seldom used any longer but is measured at 80 ° F.

Reserve Capacity (RC) is a very important rating. This is the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80 ° F will discharge 25 amps until the battery drops below 10.5 volts.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: Put 1050 CA 875 CCA in mine but took some mods

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
He CUCV Fan:
I am right down the road from you and wondered if you are putting them in your CUCV or an M35? I got two batteries a couple of weeks ago that are 1050 Cranking Amp and have a three year replacement gaurentee with a 10 year warranty for $63 each. I put them in the M35 but had to mod the box a little to make them fit. I will be posting pictures as soon as I get my camera going. We will have to get together sometime since we are so close.
My M1028A1 had 6TMF's, but one appeared to have a bad cell. I needed new batteries for my civvy truck anyway (one of the side termianls was bad) and they still had 2 years (and they had top posts too), so I threw them in the CUCV. I had 6TL's in my M35A2 and M1028A3, but they are getting harder to find for reasonable money. I paid about $90 each for those several years ago.

The problem with civilian batteries is that they don't tolerate too many cold starts when the truck is not driven enough afterwards to really charge them back up fully. Do that a dozen or so times and they'll be pretty low. That's where the 6TL's reserve really shines...

I'd be glad to hang out sometime and shoot the breeze. My little ones keep me from doing as much as I'd like, but I still need a fix of green every so often.... :)

batterys...

The rectangular kind that also fit the cucv trays,are indeed group 31's.the trays even have the little pegs that stick up to locate them.the hold downs also fit just fine.
I just had to buy a pair today...the front caved due to an apparent bad cell...the battery shop i use suggests it may have frozen (ya'...it just got cold enough for that this week :cry: ) or failed due to vibration,despite the fact it was only a year old.new ones are 110$ can each,1100 cca,190 min reserve.

can't tell who makes them...the shop is a privately owned company... only does battery's and charging systems.they sell these with thier own label's and 3 year warranty.

Sine Metu

Okay so winter is soon approaching, i killed two 750CCA civvy batteries last week trying to start my CUCV. I believe I am having a fuel pump issue, or a glow plug issue will check more on it tomorrow. However, not to get side tracked i got two other batteries to start the truck then charged the two that were in there originally, once that was done i switched back to original set up...but as I said winter is soon on the approach and i have read on this site that when the glow plug resistor is bypassed and is only being provided with 12V instead of 24V, there is more of a load on the front Battery. I was thinking to save money just buy one 6TL or the group 31's for the first battery and just keep one of the one's i have now for the second. would this be fine to do or is there a problem in mixing two different batteries of different sizes?

pinwormfood

Cucv 1009 battery

guys, i was reading the thread, and is it true that the 1009 had the 6tl battery as well? i am needing to replace one or both of my batteries in the next day or two and there are 2 big 1010CCA batteries in there...some max volt brand or something like that. do i need over 2000 cca to start my rig? let me know so i don't have to shell out 200 bones on a set of sears platinum batteries that have just over 1000 cca each. thanks, pinworm

mktopside

Banned
Guess who just spent $550 on two Optima D31Ms yesterday?

<------ this guy

Kick in the balls, but atleast I won't have to worry about them for a long while.

EXITNOONE

optima D31A and D31T.
they have more cranking power than the 6TL or 6TMF.
but optimas have 1/2 the reserve capacity and amp-hours.
optimas are sealed. they will not have sulfuration problems.
optimas are 2 times as expensive as 6tl or 6tmf new.
6 times as expensive as 6tl refurbished.

i am highly considering optima to replace my 6tmf.
i'll most likely build a custom battery box if i go with the optimas.
more room under the cab for storage with the optimas or
if i want to add a 3rd 12v battery for a separate 12 volt system.

optima yellow top commercial specs below:

MODEL NUMBER D31A & D31T
PERFORMANCE Voltage 12V
Cold Cranking Amps @ 0 F 900
Cranking Amps @ 32 F 1125
Reserve Capacity 155 minutes
Ampere-Hours C/20 75
Internal Resistance (ohms) .0025
PHYSICAL SPECS
Length 12-13/16"
Width 6-1/2"
Height 9-3/8"
Minimum Weight (lb) 59.8
Type/Post Terminal 3/8" Stainless
Steel Stud & SAE Post
BCI Group 31A & 31T

6TMF specs below:

6TMF Performance Specifications

Amps to 7.2V and 30 seconds @ -18C 725 @ -40C 350
Reserve Capacity (minutes) 200
Ampere-Hours (C/20) 120
Nominal Voltage 12V
Electrolyte Sp. Gr. (60F) 1.277-1.285
Life Cycle Capacity 235 cycles
Water Loss Hours 4500
PHYSICAL SPECS
Height 9"
Width 10.5"
Length 11.25
Nominal Weight pounds 73

Last edited:

Matt65

My front battery tested at 350 CA last week before I replaced it, the rear 950. I now have two group 31s that I got from Interstate. 1 for $44 as a blemish battery. The blem put out 1100 CA at 10.5V. The starter speed on a cold morning is greatly improved with this pair of batteries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks