• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Minnesota M35/A2 CARC Painting

Troop462

Hi Steel Soldiers,

Purchased 1970 Am Gen M35/A2 in Feb. Thought that I would share my experience in restoring the truck. Really wanted a Vietnam era truck, but quickly found out about CARC and the OD color used in the war. Decided to stay with an all CARC Green 383, 34094 paint job. Started with the hood (see pic) which I have removed, sanded, primed and painted CARC green. Looks great. Ordered stencils and decided to paint them white, only that CARC is not available in white. I think that I will use the Primer (white) over the CARC green. This color scheme is not correct according to everything I could find online and in pictures from Vietnam but really want the numbering and star on the hood and doors.

The primer is a complete pain to work with. Goes on easy but is hard to clean and the thinner is completely toxic, dissolves gloves and when you clean up makes the primer kind-of bunch up like curdled milk. The CARC green is easy and cleans up with water. Both go a long way.

Using a HVLP spray gun with a small Porter Cable compressor. Sometimes you have to let it catch up in PSI, but if you go slow it works just fine. Bought a $40 Vaper HVLP gravity feed spray gun from Northern Hydraulics.

Using Sherwin Williams chemical coatings. Everything has multiple numbers for identification but to order use the numbers underlined:

Primer MIL-DTL-53022D, Type I
White (Component A) – E90W201
Catalyst (Component B) – V93V202

Topcoat

MIL-DTL-64159B Type II Waterborne Polyurethane CARC
Green 383, 34094 Q1653
Part A - F93 G 504
Part B – V93 V 502

Clean up for the topcoat is water and is like cleaning up latex house paint. Primer is another matter. Use MEK, or Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Sherwin Williams R6K10. Stuff is obnoxious. I need to find better gloves because you have to disassemble the spray gun to clean and have to handle the parts and my nitrile gloves lasted about ten seconds.

Sprayed primer outside on my lawn on a bench, my wife could smell it in the backyard. Cottonwoods opened up (like it was snowing) so painted the green in the garage with the door closed. Used a good mask I purchased at Sherwin Williams $50 well worth it. (Had some left over primer and painted the trailer you can get an idea of the primer color) Hope this helps anyone wanting to paint CARC.

Attachments

Last edited:

Troop462

Sorry about the font color in the first post.

Hi Steel Soldiers,

Purchased 1970 Am Gen M35/A2 in Feb. Thought that I would share my experience in restoring the truck. Really wanted a Vietnam era truck, but quickly found out about CARC and the OD color used in the war. Decided to stay with an all CARC Green 383, 34094 paint job. Started with the hood (see pic) which I have removed, sanded, primed and painted CARC green. Looks great. Ordered stencils and decided to paint them white, only that CARC is not available in white. I think that I will use the Primer (white) over the CARC green. This color scheme is not correct according to everything I could find online and in pictures from Vietnam but really want the numbering and star on the hood and doors.

The primer is a complete pain to work with. Goes on easy but is hard to clean and the thinner is completely toxic, dissolves gloves and when you clean up makes the primer kind-of bunch up like curdled milk. The CARC green is easy and cleans up with water. Both go a long way.

Using a HVLP spray gun with a small Porter Cable compressor. Sometimes you have to let it catch up in PSI, but if you go slow it works just fine. Bought a $40 Vaper HVLP gravity feed spray gun from Northern Hydraulics.

Using Sherwin Williams chemical coatings. Everything has multiple numbers for identification but to order use the numbers underlined:

Primer MIL-DTL-53022D, Type I
White (Component A) – E90W201
Catalyst (Component B) – V93V202

Topcoat

MIL-DTL-64159B Type II Waterborne Polyurethane CARC
Green 383, 34094 Q1653
Part A - F93 G 504
Part B – V93 V 502

Clean up for the topcoat is water and is like cleaning up latex house paint. Primer is another matter. Use MEK, or Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Sherwin Williams R6K10. Stuff is obnoxious. I need to find better gloves because you have to disassemble the spray gun to clean and have to handle the parts and my nitrile gloves lasted about ten seconds.

Sprayed primer outside on my lawn on a bench, my wife could smell it in the backyard. Cottonwoods opened up (like it was snowing) so painted the green in the garage with the door closed. Used a good mask I purchased at Sherwin Williams $50 well worth it. (Had some left over primer and painted the trailer you can get an idea of the primer color) Hope this helps anyone wanting to paint CARC

Attachments

Hoefler

Another local guy-welcome. There are a few of us on the northwest side-Forest Lake, Blaine adn White Bear. Scott in Blaine is a great source for parts and help.
Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks