• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mirrors and safety

stephenfeldmeier

Right now I have a modification of a M35 A2 rear view mirrors mounted on M-211. They are OK but do not stick out far enough to see very well on the right had side. Question, how good are the originals? Are they big enough? Do you guys recommend some king of mount to up grade the mirrors? I want to keep it as original as I can, but since I drive it on the interstate, (speed limit 75mph around here) and around town, I want to be able to see the traffic coming up behind fairly easy? This is where the decision comes in safety over looks. For the few different M211 I drove they always had some kind of an upgraded mirror system, never the same, but upgraded. Your opinion matters here.
Thanks Steve.

sermis

Post a PIC of your mirrors. When I was looking I found about 4 different styles. From the west coast style to the elephant ear style. I went with the elephant style and really like them.

nattieleather

The original stock mirrors were the standard 4" round jeep mirrors on a single stick. You didn't see anything in them because of vibrations had it jumping all over the place. They el stinko! The west coast should work fine. You might need to put a convexed mirror on the bottom to see along the right hand side.

stephenfeldmeier

That's what I wanted to know, Heck a standard CD is 4 and a half inches, talking about blind spots! Of course being that they are military vehicles, the concern was what were you driving into (such as a fire fight) then what you were driving from. Thanks for both your inputs and I'll just make a mod to the mod I already have.

badgmc56

Would someone be able to post some pics of the west coast style on an m-211.I have the original single stick with napa rectangular mirrors. Not going to be enough for road use.Shake like crazy! Need to know who's about to pass you on the right.

Thanks, Bob

saddamsnightmare

December 29th, 2007.

I had the same problem with vibration on the original round mirrors on my 1961 M422A1 Mighty Mite, the solution there was a fabricated bracket made from steel strap ( say 1/8" x 1/2"or 5/8") with a bolt hole drilled in one end to fit on the mirror mounting bolt ( then screw the nut back on, and at the other end I used a bolt hole in the windshield frame that already existed ( the windshield was a USMC salvage of an M38A item). When clamped down with the bracket the vibration becomes manageable, but I still prefer the West Coast mirrors the military used on my M35A2 Kaiser Jeep (1971) Wo/W, as they work and are fairly solid units. I hope this helps and have a good 2008!

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz S404.114 Unimog (Swiss)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm Deuce

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I added a small mirror on the center frame (auto windshield type). Small, as it mounted low enough to see out the hard top window and down the road. I made the small bracket because those 'glue on mounts' were too hard to drill. JimK

p.s. I have a late deuce w/o canvas.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck looks sharp Steve. I drove two of the trucks all over the north country in the old days. The west coast mirrors that you got will do the job, but you still might want to run a diagonal brace. The ones that I fixed though, were only mounted to the door. I kept them so I could fold them in, by using wing nuts.

Lee in Alaska

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks