• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

misinformed

uriss

The situation is as follows. GL sold me a Duece for which due to a lack of correct unreadable serial was registered as 0340 instead of 0640. Now I need to go back through Louisiana DMV with a new SF97. Is there someone at GL I can speak with other than the people who left it on me to give them the information that they should have had? Seems to me if they can take pictures of a vehicle they can also verify said serial number. As a newby at the time I was unaware of the ramifications that I now face. Thanks in advance for your help.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you saying, you did not confirm the numbers before using them for your sf-97?

You giving them the correct info, is your opportunity to make sure it is correct(before it makes any real difference).

ranchhopper

They will issue you another SF-97 for a fee with them nothing is free and there is some on here that will waste no time telling you its your fault that you submitted the wrong numbers.

uriss

lets just say that the ONLY set of numbers were so unreadable that the State Trooper saw the same thing. AND the seller with all their experience doesn't have the info that Carnac has? C'mon in my book that is sheer lazyness/irresponsibility with a good dose of greed thrown in. They make plenty of money off of these auctions. GL contacted me back and forth about crossing the T and dotting the i's. But cannot fullfill their obligation to insure that there is no 03 serial numbers. If I sold a vehicle like that I would be answering some tough questions to law enforcement. Additionally I read this forum page wrong, thinking that somehow a GL personage would be contacting me. Not an open forum critic of shoulda woulda couldas!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL used to be on here to help, not so much anymore. CARNAC has way more access to info than GL does.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet your positive attitude will help get this corrected.

Care to share a few pics of your data tag and frame(where you sanded it down)?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
YOU DID NOT VERIFY THE SN ????, either/or by the frame/data plate, you sent the SF-97, you filled it out, GL states inspect/verify in the descreption of ALL the stuff offered for bid.

GLs job is to sell and make miney.
Your job is to make sure what you bought IS WHAT YOU BOUGHT, NOt WHAT YOU THINK YOU BOUGHT

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yep, always check the VIN INFO first but now that Doghead has banned CARNAC (I'm back now) then ....well you can read about it on VIN INFO thread.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
GLs job is to sell and make miney.
Your job is to make sure what you bought IS WHAT YOU BOUGHT, NOt WHAT YOU THINK YOU BOUGHT
BS.

Is the OP at fault for not checking the SN and making sure it was correct on the SF97? Absolutely, unequivocally. And now, he's gonna' have to pay the crooks to get a corrected SF97. Life lessons, etc.

But................. GL absolutely should be getting these #'s correct. Don't give me that crap about profit or whatever being a justification for whatever kind of misbehavior a business engages in. Just because you're in business to make money, doesn't mean you get to play fast and loose and not bother to get even the basics correct.

If I owned a used car lot and screwed up a VIN, the courts would (rightfully!) find in favor of the buyer, not me.

If you're selling something, you should be responsible for the simplest of tasks, i.e. getting a VIN right.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
You'll have to send the original sf97 back and for $30 they'll issue you a new one with the information you provide.
They did mine for free but I did have to send the SF97 back first. Then when they were very slow about getting me my new one, I contacted my Congressman and did the connection

DRMO to DLA to Contracting Officers Representative to GL. I had my SF97 via express mail in 3 days.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
C, if we're playing by used car dealer rules, does/should the Lemon Law apply to these trucks too?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
C, if we're playing by used car dealer rules, does/should the Lemon Law apply to these trucks too?
No, because they aren't being sold as viable, claimed to be operable used vehicles. They're sold as is.

But.............................. obviously somebody thinks there ought to be some resemblance of rules, otherwise we wouldn't get any titling documents anymore. Remember when GL said "we don't have enough time to bother with paperwork" and several State Attorneys General said "not so fast"?

Obviously those AG's thought there should be some rules and we should be thankful.

We're basically playing by scrapyard rules quite frankly.
I am sure you won't mind when GL puts down on your paperwork that you dropped off 10K lbs of mixed steel instead of the 10K lbs of aluminum you actually dropped off. And then they say "it's not on us, we're here to make money, not do paperwork".

"Hey, it's your responsibility to make sure they've got the right #'s"

197thhhc

BS.

Is the OP at fault for not checking the SN and making sure it was correct on the SF97? Absolutely, unequivocally. And now, he's gonna' have to pay the crooks to get a corrected SF97. Life lessons, etc.

But................. GL absolutely should be getting these #'s correct. Don't give me that crap about profit or whatever being a justification for whatever kind of misbehavior a business engages in. Just because you're in business to make money, doesn't mean you get to play fast and loose and not bother to get even the basics correct.

If I owned a used car lot and screwed up a VIN, the courts would (rightfully!) find in favor of the buyer, not me.

If you're selling something, you should be responsible for the simplest of tasks, i.e. getting a VIN right.
Clinto, Its like you are crawling around in my head. You are 100% right on.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys are also missing a possibility. First, I guarantee GL and DRMS do not verify VIN's off the frames. If the dash is hard to read it could have been turned in with a wrong #. I have seen many parts/vehicles turned in from supply where DRMO (and the unit) jointly inspect and single lines and "corrects" the S/N or VINs to what they believe is correct.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Quite frankly it will get to the point that the govt will feel the issue resolution is not worth the trouble and just do like they're doing with the vehicles in east TX----cut them up for scrap.

I'm very concerned we are closer to that happening than ever before.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Quite frankly it will get to the point that the govt will feel the issue resolution is not worth the trouble and just do like they're doing with the vehicles in east TX----cut them up for scrap.

I'm very concerned we are closer to that happening than ever before.
Or maybe push the big stuff off a ship to creat a reef on the coastlines like they did with the M113's??:cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks