• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

(Misleading diagnosis) Oil all over driver side and firewall

ToddJK

I'm sure there was a few post from a while ago on this topic, so if the moderators deem it necessary to move the thread then please do, just wanted to share some information as it seems it's not a rare event.

So here for the last month and a half, I figured my IP (Injection Pump) was leaking. Every time I'd run or drive the truck, I'd have oil on the ground under the driver side, oil all over the IP, everything on the driver side, the firewall, plus oil leaking down the fender. I cleaned it up, run the truck, couldn't spot leaks, from anywhere, yet they persisted after every drive. So yesterday I decided to check again after I already ordered a IP gasket kit but oh well, I was revving the engine up with my hand pulling on the throttle of the IP looking with a flashlight. Then I saw my issue. Here I thought it was my IP because it was always covered with oil, and I've been running 60/40 motor oil to diesel ratio so it made sense, but it wasn't the IP. It was my oil filter canister and it was the one most forward towards the radiator, leaking behind it and going between the two of them. Didn't I feel stupid but relieved at the same time. So I loosened it and re seated the canister and that's when I learned why it was leaking. Somehow my bolt was bent, just enough it is not applying even pressure downward thus creating an oil leak. It doesn't leak until the engine revs up to about 1500 rpm or higher, thus is why it seemed I had no issue when idling when parked, but after a drive, I have oil dripping off everything. As soon as I get a new canister with bolt I'm going to change it out and I shouldn't have anymore issues. I did snug it down, more than what the TM says to as far as ft/lbs of torque which was about 60 ft/lbs or so, but not much more than that, don't wanna snap that bolt off, be a bad day, lol. I just hope if someone else has this issue that perhaps this thread along with the others helps them out.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

The oil and fuel filter canister o-rings are very sensitive to uneven pressure. I’m glad you found the problem without too much trouble. I would recommend switching to spin on filters at some point in the future.

ToddJK

Oh for sure, I plan on doing the spin on filters sometime in the next 6 months or so. I have so many things going on right now that I don't get much time to myself between work, the old lady, the kids, projects for the house, ect, lol.
I'm glad I caught it before I had a catastrophic failure of some kind. I checked the oil and it was 4 quarts low, I think my neighbors heard my reaction lmao.

charlesmann

A trick iv used many times in the past, and that is to use baby powder. Cover the suspected leaking are with baby powder and briefly operate said leaking unit, then check. Follow the streaked powder back to the area where the powder isnt “washed away” by the leaking liquid.

ToddJK

A trick iv used many times in the past, and that is to use baby powder. Cover the suspected leaking are with baby powder and briefly operate said leaking unit, then check. Follow the streaked powder back to the area where the powder isnt “washed away” by the leaking liquid.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the tip!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks