• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Missing a plug here?

Haggar

You'll find the full answer in the operating isntructions TM. Thats for plugging the bellhousing up for fording, I believe.

JCKnife

Ah, that explains why I couldn't find it in the TECH (-20) manual, then. (and I DID look before posting). :mrgreen:

Haggar

Its in the Operation, Installation, and Reference Data -10TM. I was reading it over again, since I was on babysitting duty today... (I blow up and print out the line drawings of the M35A2 to give him to color in).

There should be a dummy threaded hole with a plug in it, to take out and use to fill that hole.

sandcobra164

Mine's missing it too!!! No worries, I don't plan on crossing a river anytime soon. You plug that hole to keep water / mud out of the clutch when deep fording.

Jake0147

This is the first bell housing I've seen pictured here that looks like mine, without the storage hole next to the drain hole. Is there any signifigance to that, or is it just a thing...

KsM715

Some trucks keep the plug in the glove box. I dont belive there is any mounting boss in there, just supposed to toss the plug in there.

Jake0147

Yeah, mine gets stored in the drain hole, because time has welded it there. I ran a quarter inch hole up inside the drive square though, so the oil doesn't get too deep. I just didn't know if the bell housing it's self had some significance, maybe to an exact revision of the motor it was originally attached to or a service replacement verses OEM part or something.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like to plug (pun intended), the PS Mag section of the old site, when I have a chance. Search it with the keyword "fording" for more info.
On automatics, leave the plug in except maybe for checking it now and then for accumulation of fluids.

Attachments

Zepol95

Wow...I was freaking out until I read this post! I crawled under to do diff oil service, and I saw this and my heart dropped.

Why does so much oil come out of there? I drove mine back from where I keep it out at the lake (about 130 miles away) and this think leaked for a week straight! I wasn't until I got underneath and saw this that I freaked..I didn't see a fill plug anywhere, but can someone tell me:

1) How does dirt affect this? Its got to stay out somehow!
2) What lubricates this?

Below are pictures of mine...

Attachments

Zepol95

I am just wondering because you can see where it was splashing back in my pictures, and even see a drop of oil. Could that be a clogged vent on the transmission or something and that's the only escape? (as suggested by gimpyrobb) ?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the rear main seal leaks, you'll get seepage. If you fill the transmission to the fill plug hole, you will get gear lube leaking forward that can cause your clutch to slip in the top gears. Run your tranny about one knuckle joint low.

Every time I see some one take a Deuce mudding, I think to myself that they probably didn't think to plug that hole. Probably because most, don't even know any better.

Zepol95

You know, the funny thing is that I bought this truck to help get me in/out to soft spots in sand on the beach..I got tired of tearing up my F350 and replacing transmissions or hubs on it all the time...It works great for this, and has never left me stuck, or abandoned me by something breaking.

As I started respecting the truck more and undestand what it means to have one now, I am scared sh*tless to use it! I don't want to break anything, harm anything, or abuse it in any way! What was supposed to be my "kickaround truck" has now turned into my prized possesion..haha

Thanks for everyone's help on that hole. I really thought I was screwed..er unscrewed by the looks of it..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks