• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Missing FDC and other things

K5Cruz

Hello, long story short I got carried away with a GSA auction and I'm now the proud owner of an M35A2. These are the questions I couldnt find searching. Didn't inspect the truck that I ended up buying very well and it turns out its missing the FDC. I've been staring at Steel Soldiers all evening trying to figure out which FDC I need and where I can find a good used one. Also, my hydraulic head is missing its 4 nuts. The plastic spacers are still there, but the nuts are gone. Should I be worried? I've included some pictures. The truck is a 67 M35A2 with a Hercules engine with a C turbo.

I'd like to get this thing running instead of part it out, its rough but I like it.

Pictures are of the missing FDC, the HH, the lines from the filter, and the line from the pump and one of the truck.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to ownership. It should be fairly easy to find the parts in the classified section or on a certain auction site.

Two things though, please post your state AND city. OK is a big state and it will help other members help you. Second, don't post links to pictures at other sites. Post the pics here in case the other sites or accounts go away. That keeps your pics here for future members.

K5Cruz

Welcome to ownership. It should be fairly easy to find the parts in the classified section or on a certain auction site.

Two things though, please post your state AND city. OK is a big state and it will help other members help you. Second, don't post links to pictures at other sites. Post the pics here in case the other sites or accounts go away. That keeps your pics here for future members.
Good advise, thanks! I've never been on a forum that let non paying members attach images, I'll edit accordingly.

K5Cruz

Thanks for the welcomes. I've spent countless hours reading on here and looking at different trucks. The truck is pretty rough, Its missing a wheel, it has no bed, the winch cable is bound up in the drum, it has forklift damage on the drivers step and the rear driveshaft and the brakes dont work. But everything in the cab, minus the parking brake lever, is there and works, the odometer shows 9,000 miles and 350ish hours. It was overhauled in 89 and there's no rust anywhere that I've found.

Am I correct in assuming I need the regular compensator instead of the block off plate that I've seen some pictures of? I've seen pictures in a few different pumps, I dont think I'm missing anything else under the FDC. Also, the hydraulic head still seems to be sealed to the pump, it will not come up. Is there anything underneath that could be missing or can I just bolt it back down?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All fixable and you can do a heck of a 383 green rattle can job on them.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have most of the parts you need. Even some rapco 383 paint. No drive shaft though.

I would bolt the HH back down, turn the engine over and check to see that all the parts are moving.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect there is more problems with that IP than a missing FDC. Looks like the IP quit pumping and some shade tree mechanic had his hands on it. It also looks kind of nasty down in the FDC hole. I'm not so sure I wouldn't just swap out the whole IP if one can be found resonable.

You don't really need the FDC for the truck to still be a multifuel but you do need something to cover the hole.

K5Cruz

All fixable and you can do a heck of a 383 green rattle can job on them.
That's the plan, I just wish it would have been complete underhood. I had just hoped to get away with changing fluids and filters and adding batteries, not tracking down injection pump parts. I'll be checking underhood much more thoroughly in the next auctions, thats for sure!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with the OK GSA trucks is what you are finding. Most have been rode VERY hard and put up wet.

The trucks come back to the Foresty service and then all the other VFD come and rob parts from them. They even rob parts after the trucks have been sold. Seen it with my own eyes.

K5Cruz

I suspect there is more problems with that IP than a missing FDC. Looks like the IP quit pumping and some shade tree mechanic had his hands on it. It also looks kind of nasty down in the FDC hole. I'm not so sure I wouldn't just swap out the whole IP if one can be found resonable.

You don't really need the FDC for the truck to still be a multifuel but you do need something to cover the hole.
This was my first thought, however the truck was in a Forest Service lot with about 30 other trucks, all in some state of cannibalization. This truck was sitting right next to a pretty large field, which along with our long dry summers we've been having would explain the dust covering everything, including the bottom of the FDC housing. I'm not opposed to replacing the pump if it is bad, but all the reman pumps I've seen come close to 95% of my purchase price, and I'm trying to be frugal. It probably wont happen, but I'm going to keep fighting these first few days.

K5Cruz

The problem with the OK GSA trucks is what you are finding. Most have been rode VERY hard and put up wet.

The trucks come back to the Foresty service and then all the other VFD come and rob parts from them. They even rob parts after the trucks have been sold. Seen it with my own eyes.
Went to preview an M52a2 originally, truck cab was complete in the listing picture, got there and it was missing a passenger side door. It looked like a boneyard, thats for sure.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Also, the hydraulic head still seems to be sealed to the pump, it will not come up. Is there anything underneath that could be missing or can I just bolt it back down?
If you tried to remove the Hydraulic head without lining up any timing, you will do more damage than good. There are specific ways to take the IP apart. DO NOT try it if you don't know what your doing.

K5Cruz

If you tried to remove the Hydraulic head without lining up any timing, you will do more damage than good. There are specific ways to take the IP apart. DO NOT try it if you don't know what your doing.
Noted. I just gave it a shake to see if it was loose, it didnt look like it had been removed. I don't intend to tear anything apart without consulting the proper t.o. Thanks for the heads up though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks