• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

missing shims on mep-003a

peyton

years ago i bought, sight unseen, a mep-003a which, as it turned out, was missing the injection pump and shims. so how does one measure or calculate the shims needed? please point me in the right direction if this has been previously discussed.

thank you, peyton

Ray70

You want page 136 and 137 in the -34 TM. Measure from the face of the pump mounting surface to the cam right next to the gear, subtract 1.171" and the difference is the required shim thickness.
I have a bunch of new shims if you can determine what thickness you need.
pump shim.JPG

The shim is specific to the block, so regardless of the IP you install, the block shim will remain the same.

peyton

You want page 136 and 137 in the -34 TM. Measure from the face of the pump mounting surface to the cam right next to the gear, subtract 1.171" and the difference is the required shim thickness.
I have a bunch of new shims if you can determine what thickness you need.
View attachment 918290

The shim is specific to the block, so regardless of the IP you install, the block shim will remain the same.
thanks ray for the push in the right direction. the mep003a is currently in storage and won't be disturbed for a while yet ... i am in the studying/learning (hopefully) stage right now. as for shims, years ago i bought a new injection pump along with a kit containing buttons and a set of 4 shims. hopefully, when the time comes, that will be all i need.

thanks again, peyton

Ray70

You should be good then! It typically doesn't take very much shim thickness to get there.
Glad you have timing buttons. Some are available pretty cheap ( the thinner ones no one ever needs ) but the thick ones #14+ went through the roof in price a couple years ago. It was like $10 for a thin button and $150 if you desperately needed a #15 and got gouged by the 1 guy who had one available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks