• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mission Impossible..(?)

dmetalmiki

Chris..look on....

IF ONLY I had a Scammell in my collection....or an AEC recovery.. as they both have BIG wheels and tires in single wheel configuration.

'Fela emailed me..(Friend of years)

"Need summa't lifting and dropping on a trailer".

"I had better come and weigh the job up first"

OK, see you Tuesday then.
Oh dear oh dear oh deary me...Is this a 'Bridge too far?".
Do I lack confidence my old age?
Is this even a SAFE thing too attempt..? (Or mebb'e Lose my wrecker!).
The site..the task...(Pay attention Chris).

Attachments

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

These M series trucks have twin rears (Hopeless in the extreme), and narrower track front wheels (Even worse).
In soft ground, sand, and as in this case Wet Sand.. they tend to drive the front wheels into the ground.
My M62 wrecker weighs 24 tons.
Get bogged in, I would LOSE IT. No question.
First law of recovery, In bad ground, DO NOT close with the casualty. (or end up with two casualties!).
Situate the recovering truck on firm ground for anchoring. OR facilitate easy jacking, under planking, and or retrieval in case of mishap.
It is nearly 2 miles to the exit on that wet sandy beach.
It is over 400 yards to the dry point at that beach edge.
There are fresh water streams criss-crossing that beach.
Could be firm looking loose sand atop undercut wet slop!
NOTE the red warning buoy! The tide comes in, that floats, Your 10-12 feet under sea water!.
Time frame between tides..Max, 6 hours. ... Mission Impossible..to me.
Oh..I forgot to mention..100 miles to the port!..boat trip, Another load'a miles to the site!...
I told them, I would come with another plan than theirs.
A HUGE 4 wheel digger bucket 'thing' would do the job just fine.
As would, In my estimation a 6x6 single big wheeled military recovery truck.
Thoughts guys.
I know I would attempt that with a 1950's Scammell 6x6 meadows. NO PROBLEM.
Anyone 'run' a job with the M Series medium wrecker trucks M816/M62?, On a WET sand Beach.
(Coughs into hand...errr, Chris!)

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

A tracked hoe is the only solution dig it out and get out of there. Used an ex120 to free my lmtv once the reason I didn't insist on having a winch was because where I live theyre aren't any anchor points so if I have toe walk in something big and yellow for an anchor point I might as well use it to tow with.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the less agile; what are the thingies you're talking about? Some WWII relics badly in need of sandblasting and paint?

He sure let them sit a while before deciding to act, eh?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We tried to restore a tank that had been sitting on the beach once. I used a needle scaler to break off the rust. The steel plates that remained were half the original thickness. It was a lost cause.

dmetalmiki

Yep, , They, It, is, are, WW11 Very Rare though. Err, 'He' dint leave them..der' ******army did.
Cant divulge too much yet, but if I could get onto the sand with something like a K700 those two derelicts, (As), derelicts aren't subject to "salvage".. laws etc!.... would be saved. Condition unknown..But then, What an adventure. ..(things you do before....Ya..!) Oh well
https://youtu.be/NxdkcZ7Q5jU
I am still scheming as we speak so to speak.

Guyfang

Staff member
This would be a very interesting exercise to be a part of. Have seen and helped in a small way twice, something kinda like this. You would not even have to pay me! This one requires mucho planning. It has the potential to go south real fast. But doable, if you plan it out right. Yeah, real interesting.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Chris..look on....
IF ONLY I had a Scammell in my collection....or an AEC recovery.. as they both have BIG wheels and tires in single wheel configuration.
'Fela emailed me..(Friend of years)
"Need summa't lifting and dropping on a trailer".
"I had better come and weigh the job up first"
OK, see you Tuesday then.
Oh dear oh dear oh deary me...Is this a 'Bridge too far?".
Do I lack confidence my old age?
Is this even a SAFE thing too attempt..? (Or mebb'e Lose my wrecker!).
The site..the task...(Pay attention Chris).
What is it What are they
Is there more after commercial break?

mann650

I have zero salvage experience, so for this you are relay getting what you pay for. How about using airbags to float them when the tide comes in? I have seen bags float some big things (oil and gas pipelines) and they worked well. Float them and drag them toward you. you might only get them a little further but at least you will have them out of the channel and sitting where you could re-rig for the next tide.

SSGHillbilly

Your wording on this was a bit un-:?:comprehending the pictures of the object are almost out of the frame. A red ball off to the left side, have no idea what that is ? I really didn’t get much understanding from your post,,,,, sorry !:-?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not impossible but...Do we know an approximate weight of the thingies? Anything heavier than a jeep in that area, I wouldn’t consider using anything that wasn’t on tracks and twice the weight of the thingy. Even then you might risk giving the thingies some company.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks