• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mississippi recovery gone BAD!

gonna pull valve covers, and injectors and use a scope to see if i can see anything and a little marvel mistory oil. Will do a few things. also does anyone got a break down of a 250 cummins??

FreightTrain

Banned
He ain't given up yet.....Nuts...Was hoping I could get a cheap wrecker project...hee hee hee.Anyone got a picture of the drivers side block?There was a copper line not going anywhere.Couldn't find anywhere to hook it.

jwaller

For the right price I'll let my 250 go thats in m 818. pm me for details. I just adjusted the valves and injectors in it yesterday.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
FreightTrain said:
He ain't given up yet.....Nuts...Was hoping I could get a cheap wrecker project...hee hee hee.Anyone got a picture of the drivers side block?There was a copper line not going anywhere.Couldn't find anywhere to hook it.
Take a look at the current thread about crane operation. I suspect you are missing the same air control he is - and a photo of the gone part is included.

DD

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Offroadfabworks said:
gonna pull valve covers, and injectors and use a scope to see if i can see anything and a little marvel mistory oil. Will do a few things. also does anyone got a break down of a 250 cummins??
I've got a complete overhaul manual for the 855cid. family of engines laying around here somewhere. It's pretty strait-foward as far as overhaul goes. Let me know if you need torque specs, valve clearances, or any other info. I've rebuilt a bunch of them.

rickf

Let me get this straight, You towed a deuce with another deuce that had bad brakes?! Substandard attaching hardware on the tow bar. all this on the interstate! You guy's are really scary. The main problem is that if you have an accident it looks bad for all MV collectors. If you kill someone then I can assure you that not another truck will leave DRMO without being on a flat!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Offroadfabworks said:
Will do M16ty. I have rebuilt a few big diesels for heavy equipment and semis, just looking for a diagram to see what im looking at in the 250 cummins.
I'll see if I can dig it up and scan you a break-down. To get the injectors out you'll have to remove the rocker boxes. They will be a section right under the valve cover that holds the rocker arms. You can then pull the injectors and if you've got a scope small enough ( it's a pretty small hole) you can look down in there and see what's going on. If you have to pull the heads just make sure you disconnect the metal fuel lines that go between the heads before you start yanking on them or you'll mess the lines up. When it's time to put the heads back you'll have to check your head bolts for strech. There's usually a gauge that comes with a head gasket set for checking this.

BEASTMASTER

throw those pins with the pushballs away . always use something with a cotter pin or hitch pin. you'll never lose one.i always carry a couple fisher plow oins just in case. they fit perfect. :driver:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Reference the pre-trip hookup and inspection:

I checked all the usual suspects prior to rolling. We had used the same pins the last time we did a recovery and they worked great. What I forgot was that I had dummy corded them the last time so they couldn't pull out. Some how I missed that step.
When I realized what was happening I just let up off the fuel and let the trucks roll to a stop. If I applied the brakes the rear deuce would try to take me to the ditch so I just rode it out until it stopped.
This was not my first rodeo towing military equipment...I spent ten years in Transportation in the active Army and many more as a commercial driver.
I do think that my guardian angel was watching and when Murphy came calling he saved my bacon.

On another note:

While I am somewhat dissappointed that the engine in the wrecker is stuck I am not surprised. Every truck I have bought from GL to this point has been a runner. The law of averages just caught up with me.
I just wish it had been one of the deuces since I have a spare mult-fuel from the first parts deuce.
Since the engine in the M52 is tired (but runs) I may put a newer engine in the wrecker and later on rebuild the Cummins later to put in the M52.
A 60 series Detriot would be a good engine to swap into it if it would fit without a lot of modification.
If anyone has some pointers on unsticking an engine without pulling or major dissassembly please post them.
I have enough redneck in me to try anything that isn't too outrageous or dangerous.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks