• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Missouri MV titling under attack and review

RealCavDog

No need to get heated up over it, that would only make it worse, and hey, when the stuff hits the fan . . . We won't need no sticking titles ! LOL !

Anyway, I had read all the VIN decoder links, considered the H1 route, but decided to keep it totally legit and on the up and up, and here we go ! I would like to add that the Chief in Jefferson City was aware in detail of the NSN number techniques, and my dropping the middle -01- to add the last legitimate 6 seemed to make sense to him, and I offered to lobby for that approach. I will have to say that he seemed very sympathetic to the situation, and that not really being what I would consider a very political position, I do have hopes that we are far from done !

I believe that the A3's compliance with recent EPA regulations, updated safety features, and limited numbers, may help to alleviate the fear of the state's highways being "flooded with primitive behemoths" !

The A2's do have a historic advantage over the A3, but the state is apparently considering new safety, licensing and other measures, and as soon as the insurance companies get wind of that . . . .well, you can see where that is going !

I still believe it is a small step in a master plan that is a vehicular form of disarmament. :mad:

Will have to keep all of us updated, and we all need to pay close attention to what is creeping up on us in so many ways that we may not even suspect or notice . . .

Not that I am a conspiracy theorist or anything ! :beer: Just being aware !

armytruck63

Both the MVPA and ATHS should be made aware of this situation. Both are headquartered in Missouri, after all.

I live in California and would expect this sort of thing here, but it hasn't happened - YET.

salt6

Politicians write the laws.

Bureaucrats write the rule to enforce the laws.

So find the bureaucrat that has a problem with MVs. Someone probably has a personal agenda.

gerrykan

She goes on to note a notation made at the bottom of my VIN inspection. Please take note that the only thing this form is supposed to do is verify the VIN. The inspector wrote "Military Vehicle - Not For Highway Use".
I think I found where they got you.

From the Missouri Revised Statutes:
Chapter 301
Registration and Licensing of Motor Vehicles
Section 301
4. If the vehicle qualifies as a reconstructed motor vehicle, motor change vehicle, specially constructed motor vehicle, non-USA-std motor vehicle, as defined in section 301.010, or prior salvage as referenced in section 301.573, the owner or lienholder shall surrender the certificate of ownership. The owner shall make an application for a new certificate of ownership, pay the required title fee, and obtain the vehicle examination certificate required pursuant to subsection 9 of section 301.190.
Section 301.010
Definitions.
(41) "Non-USA-std motor vehicle", a motor vehicle not originally manufactured in compliance with United States emissions or safety standards;
Now for subsection 9 of Section 301.190
9. Each application for an original Missouri certificate of ownership for a vehicle which is classified as a reconstructed motor vehicle, specially constructed motor vehicle, kit vehicle, motor change vehicle, non-USA-std motor vehicle, or other vehicle as required by the director of revenue shall be accompanied by a vehicle examination certificate issued by the Missouri state highway patrol, or other law enforcement agency as authorized by the director of revenue. The vehicle examination shall include a verification of vehicle identification numbers and a determination of the classification of the vehicle. The owner of a vehicle which requires a vehicle examination certificate shall present the vehicle for examination and obtain a completed vehicle examination certificate prior to submitting an application for a certificate of ownership to the director of revenue.
So the State Trooper that wrote "Not for highway use" sealed your fate.

If you can get that reconciled, you guys may be in the clear.

Missouri Revised Statutes: MISSOURI REVISED STATUTES

Flyingvan911

I couldn't find any pollution regs for old (say 1970) diesel engines. The articles I found suggested that there may not have been any (or very few). I wonder if A2 deuces could be exempt because in the 60's and early 70's they complied with the current laws (or lack of). I am afraid A3's may have a tough time with this logic.

Our best effort might be to get some sort of exemption for MV's in the statute.

RealCavDog

My Inspection has NO such notation concerning being a military or off-road use only, so . . . maybe my situation is an extension of that situation, but mine was done way back September, and just now got dinged.

And as to the earlier posts concerning changing the rules . . . not to risk a political debate, but, the Constitution was recently violated extremly by the N.D.A.A. signing, so a state motor vehicle discrepency is probably no big deal to the powers that be ! Just saying !

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a vehicle, but I'm going through this with 101 trailers. 2 digit vin. numbers kicked them out . I got one finished up. still trying to get the other one finished. I would like to thank you guys for all the work involved, making it easier for the rest of us.

Ron

Flyingvan911

My 2006 VSE M105 has a longer VIN and I had no trouble. Could you buy an engraver or metal number stamps and make yours longer? Do you have a SF-97 or title? The only issue the lady had was the model of the trailer. She was able to enter it manually.

It sounds like RealCav got a nice HP officer and a1 got a "strictly by the book" guy.

gerrykan

Just throwing out a thought.
If you could get a high ranking Highway Patrolman(I'm talking near the very top of their food-chain here) to overrule/overturn the previous determination of "Not for highway use", the Director of Revenue could then issue a title and registration for these trucks.

I have read a lot of these Revised Statutes for different reasons, and do remember somewhere it says something to the effect that the Director of Revenue can reject a title and registration.

Flyingvan911

I have read a lot of these Revised Statutes for different reasons, and do remember somewhere it says something to the effect that the Director of Revenue can reject a title and registration.
I have read this too, but I've never read the statutes. I think it was on a paper I was given at the DMV or maybe on the title itself.

As far as the Director rejecting a title-Is there an official appeal process or is the Highway Patrol it?

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my case, I had the Arizona titles, but just a short vin. Highway Patrol inspected it and one went through. The other one is " missing "

a1abdj

If you could get a high ranking Highway Patrolman(I'm talking near the very top of their food-chain here) to overrule/overturn the previous determination of "Not for highway use", the Director of Revenue could then issue a title and registration for these trucks.
The Chief Of Staff of the Highway Patrol was the one initially contacted in my case, and I believe he is pretty near the top.

He had the guy in charge of the inspection division in Jefferson City call me. He wasn't aware of anything the Highway Patrol has said that would prevent the trucks from being licensed. Not to say that there's something he isn't aware of, but my impression was that this issue lies within the DMV itself. That didn't seem to make him very happy, as the letter clearly says this is the Highway Patrol's decision.

He was going to contact somebody in charge of these types of things at the DMV, and figure out who is really making this decision and what they are basing that decision on. At this point, I don't care who's fault it is, I just want to see something in writing.

Maybe something in writing exists, and I'll see what needs to be done to have it changed. Otherwise, there won't be anything in writing, and it'll be pretty smooth sailing from there.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to post #25, it can't be reconstructed. Maybe that's it? After all they took 3 M35A2's and made 2 M35A3's. Sounds reconstructed to me; maybe someone in the chain realized that???

a1abdj

According to post #25, it can't be reconstructed. Maybe that's it? After all they took 3 M35A2's and made 2 M35A3's. Sounds reconstructed to me; maybe someone in the chain realized that???
The problem with that is that they title and license limousines. Can't have it both ways. :mrgreen:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with that is that they title and license limousines. Can't have it both ways. :mrgreen:
Just trying to throw out what they may be looking at, that's all. Plus if you rebuild a caddy into a limo it's still say a 2011 Caddy; when you rebuild 3 1971 deuces they became 2 M35A3's from the 90's-another possible sticky point.

Last edited:

a1abdj

Just trying to throw out what they may be looking at, that's all.
I understand. The problem is that unless whatever they are looking at says something about military vehciles, they aren't going to have a leg to stand on.

Any excuse they have to not title and license these trucks can be shown to not be an excuse when it comes to other vehicles. That's good for our cause.

RealCavDog

My 2006 VSE M105 has a longer VIN and I had no trouble. Could you buy an engraver or metal number stamps and make yours longer? Do you have a SF-97 or title? The only issue the lady had was the model of the trailer. She was able to enter it manually.

It sounds like RealCav got a nice HP officer and a1 got a "strictly by the book" guy.

It's kinda' funny, I have all those tools, and a blank plate, but tried to do it as straight up as possible ! Had that thread concerning the VIN decode, had the perfect H1 2-door soft top diesel automatic, and even did all the math to get to the 9th digit ! The X was a second option if it got kicked out. Pretty sure that is why we all keep hearing about all types of Deuces being titled as Hummers ! Was a bit nervous about getting snagged in that mess from my old classic restoration, streetrod and custom Harley building days ! Opted for the NSN approach, but recieved my Missouri title with the original 6-digits only.

And I also spoke to the Chief, was given his direct line by a local Trooper friend of mine, and it could be that attitude and demeanor may have had an effect, or depending on who got to him first may have had an easier time until the subject wore him down ! :twisted:

I opted for an early morning call, but not too early, not too late to have the days problems piling up, but late enough to get settled and the morning coffee to kick in ! LOL ! Outside sales call experience ! :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks