• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mix and match rims ok?

TexAndy

A guy down the road from me stopped by the house yesterday with 4 military michelin 1100 r 20s in the back of his pickup... wanted to sell them to me at $150 apiece. They were already on the rims. The rims looked like military split rims. 6 bolt hole pattern, just like a standard 9.00 r 20 deuce rim.

Unfortunately, he did not have 2 more where those came from... so my question is this:

Would it be permissible to use these 4 as-is, buy a couple of new 11.00 r 20s, and swap those out on a couple of my current 9.00 r 20 rims? Or will I have to remove these four used 11.00 r 20s from the rims they're on now and swap them onto my current deuce rims?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Do the rims appear to be military??? Green or tan paint on them??

If you are asking if you can mix radials and NDT's the short answer is that it is not a good idea.

If you are asking about using two different type (not size) rims that would be ok as long as all the tires are all radial or all NDT.

The rims are all basically the same.....I think Ford had a split ring (two piece) rim that was the same diameter as a deuce rim but was narrower.

I have seen 800x20's, 900x20's, 10.00x20, 11.00x20 on civy trucks.

TexAndy

Do the rims appear to be military??? Green or tan paint on them??

If you are asking if you can mix radials and NDT's the short answer is that it is not a good idea.

If you are asking about using two different type (not size) rims that would be ok as long as all the tires are all radial or all NDT.

The rims are all basically the same.....I think Ford had a split ring (two piece) rim that was the same diameter as a deuce rim but was narrower.

I have seen 800x20's, 900x20's, 10.00x20, 11.00x20 on civy trucks.

Yes, they had green paint on them. Looked like faded 383 green.

Yeah, I'm talking about mixing/matching rims. Not tires. They *look* like military rims... I don't know if the rims are a different size, tho...

Should I get the guy to measure the diameter of the rims? Or is the width the more important dimension to consider?

hairba11

i think if i am following the line of your questions, the wheel width at the bead is what you are asking about? I would think it was fairly close. the outer diameter is the same obviously and you aren't trying to mix the 900x20's and 1100x20's so the overall diameter should be a non issue. Even if the 1100x20's are on a 10" wide wheel, and the 900x20's on the deuce are on an 8" wide wheel, i think you really wouldn't see much tire height difference squeezing an 1100x20 onto the deuce wheels.

bgekky3

I am going to my dad's shop tomorrow. He has a Ford truck with split 6 bolt 20" wheels. The wheels look different than the military. They are narrower and the lock ring is different. I can post a pic of them tomorrow.

runk

If you strip the gazillion layers of paint, the military rims will have a paragraph of text listing part numbers, specs, and the allowable tire sizes. My truck has wheels that range from riveted (probably from the 1950's) to 1990's manufacture dates, and all allowed at least 8.00 x20 - 11.00x20 tires. A couple allowed down to 7.00x20, and at least one included 12.00x20. (All wheels were exactly the same dimensions, ~ 7.5" inside the beads, hard to measure with the tires on.) I'm running 11.00x20 Goodyear G177's now (including duals and spare), no problems.

emr

Here comes a monkey wrench, A truck with deul 1100 NDT CC treads in the rear and U put 1100 Michelin radials on the front, the additional traction on the fronts will be more in sink with 8 bias in the rear, the fronts are way under with a single ndt so a radial will add traction control, yes it will,... been there done that in all seasons. just sayin, now if one puts radials on the rear and bias on the front, that will find trouble for sure...but the basic rule as we all know is not to do it, i have found that set up to work very very well, but eventually I got the rest of my michelins and have em all the same.. sounds like u have all the correct rims to me...

Last edited:

TexAndy

Thanks for the help guys.

I should have struck while the iron was hot. He called me back the next day when I was just getting into Lawton... he sold them. aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks