• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mixing batteries? Mil & civi

5tonman1971

Ok so I just got my m925a2 from Delaware last Monday and this weekend I'm going through it servicing it and doing repairs so far my, no start, no rust, 2800$, winch truck is turning out to be a great buy. The no start issue was cause they ran it COMPLETELY out of fuel, like no fuel in the block fuel filter empty, And of coarse dead battery's. So far I've had to have a fuel line made up and have to get an air dryer rebuild kit. The soft top has came un-stitched at the windshield and the hood has holes in it so I'll need a hard top and a new hood or just fix them but I want to just replace them. It came with a solargizer so the batts weren't totally dead but darn close. 3 of the tmnfs have a date stamp of 02/13 and one of them the worst one was 10/09.

So my thinking is, if I can get the 3 to come back to life I'll just replace the 4th one with a civi battery. Normally we just replace the batteries with two 8Ds, but these batteries are almost brand new so I'll give them a shot before getting the 8Ds.

Will addinG in A civi battery that has the same amps and CCA AS the tmnfs, have any issues? Will they all charge the same? If anyone has tried to go this cheaper route please chime in and helpa brutha out. Hahahaha

capnkirk

They won't ever charge the same. If you get 2 back to life, dump the other 2 and go with it. If not, get a couple civi truck batteries and run them in series. I've got a couple of group 31s from NAPA. No issues with starting even when cold.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a link to the auction? Sounds like you stole it! An A2 winch truck for $2800 good deal! I've had two buys with the stitching ripped out. The first one I had stitched back up at a boat shop, cost almost as much as a new top. Tops seem to have gone up in price now, so you might look into having it restitched at a boat or canvas repair place. Don't give up on the fourth. Had the same issue on a couple trucks, I slow charged the weak battery for days, it appears to have recovered. I added acid where needed.

Last edited:

5tonman1971

Got a link to the auction? Sounds like you stole it! An A2 winch truck for $2800 good deal!
Well to be exact it was 2858 plus fees and shipping, but another member on here needed a truck hauled from Delaware as well so we had my 925 and a 923 on a step deck man was that a close haul on height and weight limits.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one 6tl wet cell go south. I replaced it with another 6tl as O' Reilly sells them and my son works there :)

I have had no issues mixing 3 older deka ones with a newer one made by excide. So far 6 months down the road ok.

barkster

I was looking at purchasing one of these beasts and it states that it only starts when jumped. How many batteries does this thing take? Seems like I've seen that it takes four but can start on two? Can someone point me in right direction to new batteries? Thanks

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking at purchasing one of these beasts and it states that it only starts when jumped. How many batteries does this thing take? Seems like I've seen that it takes four but can start on two? Can someone point me in right direction to new batteries? Thanks
Keep in mind jump starting with junk batteries can fry the alternator
[h=1]5 Ton Batteries[/h]
[h=1]conversion of 4 batteries to 2?[/h]
[h=1]New M923, battery issues. . .[/h]4 battery coversion to 2 batteries
[h=1]What civilian batteries to use?[/h]