• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MK23 transfer case oil?

airdrillpitcrew

Hello everybody. Im in the middle of a complete service of a 2001 MK23 that our farm has turned into a brush fire truck. Im curious what everyone is doing for the oil in the transfer case. So far, what Im told is this unit takes 6 qts of 40w non detergent. Is this true, if so, what is everyone doing for oil in these. Truthfully, 6 qts doesnt seem like much, after all, the transfercase is huge, Im concerned that the top bearings might not get enough oil. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello everybody. Im in the middle of a complete service of a 2001 MK23 that our farm has turned into a brush fire truck. Im curious what everyone is doing for the oil in the transfer case. So far, what Im told is this unit takes 6 qts of 40w non detergent. Is this true, if so, what is everyone doing for oil in these. Truthfully, 6 qts doesnt seem like much, after all, the transfercase is huge, Im concerned that the top bearings might not get enough oil. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I pulled this from a manual

Table 23. Transfer Case.
Item Specification
Make and Model Oshkosh 30000 Series
Type Three shaft, single speed with torque proportioning
differential with manual differential
lock
Ratio 1.271 :1
Torque Split 32% Front, 68% Rear

Transfer Case 6 Qt. (5.7 L)
Oil Type OE/HD040

The transfer case incorporates a 32/68 differential. The transfer case 32/68 differential provides full time, all wheel drive, and proportions approximately 32 percent of the torque to the front axle and 68 percent of the torque to the two rear axles. The differential has an operator controlled, air actuated, drive line lock mechanism, which consists of a sliding lockout collar that locks the differential housing to the output shaft. The differential drive line lock mechanism provides increased mobility in adverse operating conditions.

Transfer Case
Check and Fill as Necessary
lubricant OEIHDO
Interval: 36/A (I)
View: Oand P

1702932356376.png

Last edited:

airdrillpitcrew

Table 23. Transfer Case.
Item Specification
lock

Oil Type OE/HD040

The transfer case incorporates a 32/68 differential. The transfer case 32/68 differential provides full time, all wheel drive, and proportions approximately 32 percent of the torque to the front axle and 68 percent of the torque to the two rear axles. The differential has an operator controlled, air actuated, drive line lock mechanism, which consists of a sliding lockout collar that locks the differential housing to the output shaft. The differential drive line lock mechanism provides increased mobility in adverse operating conditions.

Transfer Case
lubricant OEIHDO

View attachment 913037
This is great, thank you. Does it say anything anywhere about requiring non detergent? I assume it might want it because of the clutch pack. I just want to confirm this before I special order more oil. Thanks a bunch

airdrillpitcrew

Table 23. Transfer Case.
Item Specification
lock

Oil Type OE/HD040

Transfer Case
lubricant OEIHDO

View attachment 913037
Since it appears you have the real info, any tips or info on servicing the planatery's?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks