• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MK48 wheels

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They will

The hemtt wreckers and mk48 share hub bearings and seals are the same Inside 594a and outer 580. And they use the same hub 2cf281. Brake shoes 97110 and drums 2cf280 are the same. Lug studs are the only thing different They are the same 16.5x7 shoes
They don't fit...

So I tried this out a few weeks back, and Hemtt rims do not fit on the Mk48, not even close. Major interference with the valve stem, you'd have to grind a significant amount of material off the drums, to cluster-**** it on there. Decided it's better to just deal with finding 21'' tires when the time comes.

You can however put MK48 wheels on a Hemtt no problem. Dunno why you would, but its possible.

IMG_9455.JPG

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Then its apparently the stud jssye
They don't fit...

So I tried this out a few weeks back, and Hemtt rims do not fit on the Mk48, not even close. Major interference with the valve stem, you'd have to grind a significant amount of material off the drums, to cluster-**** it on there. Decided it's better to just deal with finding 21'' tires when the time comes.

You can however put MK48 wheels on a Hemtt no problem. Dunno why you would, but its possible.

View attachment 806605
Some pics of what was hitting would have been appreciated since the part numbers for the
M984 wreckers and MKs are the same except studs so the drum shouldn't hit. Compared to the regular HEMTT which uses a different drum. Mk uses 1-1/8" hemtt uses 3/4" budd studs

Will put one the MK48 bogie to see what is going on. Maybe a spacer due to the interior offset. I bet they will work on the RBU

Last edited:
Reactions: HDN

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was a pretty big interference between the valve stem / drum. Had the proper valve stems on the wheels as well, for a Hemtt.

Agree they'd work on the RBU if the drums are smaller. Considered that, but the problem becomes a difference in overall diameter between the tires on the FPU / RBU. 16r20's are noticeably taller.

If the part numbers are the same, maybe the Hemtt wreckers had an updated version? They're newer trucks, right? Something with a relief for the valve stem could have been cast into the drum? Dunno, just a guess. MK drums are round all the way 'round.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MK drums are round all the way 'round.
LOL... all drums, actually! (sorry couldn't resist... :giggle:)

It was a pretty big interference between the valve stem / drum.
Curious to know, where exactly...? (could you place an arrow in this drawing, below?

1595458271740.png

(I've had a similar case once and was able to solve it by putting a different valve, closer to the wheel center disc. But that was only on two wheels, not 8 )

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice blueprint.

Arrow shows where you first contact the drum, the brass hexagonal boss for the valve stem is quite thick here. Tried fluffing that down a bit with the grinder. Still no luck.

The drums have a taper on them from casting, so the interference grows worse as you slide the rim further onto the hub. Would say with my efforts, the rim was still at least an inch away from meeting the face of the drum. It also looked like accessing the valve stem would have been a PITA.

1595458271740.png

Ryan31783

Thread revival warning… what do you think about plugging the OEM valve stem hole and re-drill/machine something for a 24 bolt HMMWV wheel valve stem on the outside of the face of a HEMTT wheel? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks