• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MK48 with short wheelbase MK14

Hoefler

I have an MK48 with both a MK14 trailer and a MK18 loader (currently coupled to FPU. I was moving the MK14 trailer this past weekend and noticed the front frame detail. It got me thinking.
The front of the 14 trailer frame has a cast iron adapter bolted inside the frame rails. This adapter mates to back of FPU. I was thinking that I could simply cut several feet of the front of the 14 frame rails and relocate the adapter several feet back (closer to rear axels). The net result would be a short wheelbase MK48/14 truck. This set up would work better on tight trails and would maybe make it better in off road capabilities.
Question, given the truck articulates, how might the rate of articulation affect the front steering? It seems that it would not make a real difference (off road). This may make the big girl more off road capable.
Thoughts?
Pete

Attachments

tcody

Pete,
The old rule of thumb for a truck/trailer was to measure the distance from the articulation point to the center of the tandem and multiply by two. I think this would underestimate the MK48 turning radius due to the limitation the hydraulic articulation system places on the maximum angle you can achieve - although FWIW I may not be thinking about this correctly. I am sure there is a way to calculate the change in turning radius in this system, but a practical method would be to attach an old trailer that you can change the axle location easily and get a rough measure the tread pattern/turning radius in the dirt. An old boat trailer would give a rough idea. Another change that would be interesting is to reengineer the location of the linkage and add a second front steer axle. Option 3 would be to eliminate the fourth axle and make the truck into a 6x6. Seems to me MAZ or one of the Russian truck manufacturers made such a truck with two front steer and a single rear axle - kind of strange, but ....????? A final idea would be to engineer a flip up fourth axle such as on a lowboy. That would be an interesting challenge to work out the geometry to allow it to flip up and still maintain a way to drive the axle. I am not sure what kind of nose plow you would have with heavy braking or the changes in the ABS or handling for that matter. With some of those LVS trailers going for pennies it would be something that wouldn't set you back too much to play around with and it looks like you have a lot of space there to do some testing! Keep us posted - it is an interesting idea you have.
Cheers,
Cody

Hoefler

Cody,
Thanks for your response. I was thinking on those Russian trials trucks-really like them.
I think I will drive the truck in fresh dirt-measure the radius and see how the rear tracks. I can then take this and axel centerline measurements and lay them out on paper with Autocad.
Pictures if I do it!
Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks