• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MKT/103 trailer brakes locked up

MitchG

I was bringing my MKT home last night from an event I had cooked at and when I got home the brakes had apparently locked up on the trailer. The event was only a couple of miles from home so It didn't get pulled far but the brake drum were really hot!! I crawled under the trailer and released the air from the holding tank and it seems to have released the brakes. At least I could push the tire and rock the trailer back and forth. I had a few questions and was wondering if anyone could help me out or have any useful suggestions. For background the air lines are hooked up correctly (ie service to drivers side emergency to pass side), air pressure good, ebrakes were off, no problems on the trip out.
A couple of observations/ideas that I had, the ebrake handles were pretty stiff when I released them to head out but when I got home and everything was hot they were much freer. It seems to me the problem may be on the air side since releasing the reserve air seemed to free everything up.

1. Any ideas on where to start on troubleshooting?
2. Would there be any problem in putting a couple of ounces of say Marvel Mystery oil or some other lube in the service air line and cycling the brakes to lube up the diaphragm in the brake system?
3. Do you think the problem is in the air side as I guessed above or do you think it could be the ebrakes not releasing?
4. Would the ebrakes not releasing make the drums that hot?
5. I would guess a breakdown and bearing repack should be in the immediate future since they were really hot?

Sorry for the novel here but I thought I would try and give as much info as I could to get the best responses. Thanks in advance for all your help guys.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the level of brake fluid in the MC, should be DOT 5
No problem with putting in some air lube oil in the lines

Check the relay valve, they go bad and then they start to lock up, not release, etc. Any good tbig rig shop should have them.

Read my old post, that has more info.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/20000-m105a2-brakes-now-fixed.html

M105, M149, and MKT brake systems are all basically the same.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks