• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MKT-85 Recovery (Ft Meade)

Crazyguypa

Well, I've been looking for awhile and was able to score a MKT-85 (#2430) out of Ft Meade. Picked it up Tuesday 12/2 with the help of my brother who came in from NJ. Trip was uneventful (thank goodness). Brought some tools and spare tires just incase Murphy happened to show up.

Two hours later we arrived at my house and began the setup process, to see what was there, what was missing and what needed repaired. I had the manual printed out and we began the process.

The manual says it takes 4 people, 30 mins to set up. That would be true if it wasn't your first time, you in fact had 4 people who knew what to do and it wasn't 35 degrees outside (man I hate the cold weather). We weren't in a hurry at all and in fact went up pretty quick with only the two of us.

I didn't go down and preview the trailer, but from the pics I could see that the M-59 ovens were missing, however it had 8 mbu100 burners (only 6 are needed).
Once we had everything open this is what I found:
The bad
- no M-59 ovens
- griddle missing (now I have to find one or have one made)
- all utensils are gone
- no extinguisher (not a big deal I have plenty in the garage)
- no drop lights (not a big deal, lights are cheap)
- one of the grommets torn out on the canopy
- no jerry cans (need to find the new style for the power fueling adapters)
- no insulated food containers
- no insulated beverage dispensers
- no folding tables
- couple of minor metal pieces that need to be replaced, but nothing major.

The good
- 8 MBU100 burners (only 6 are needed, and they all power up - did not light them off though)
- all three ladders and handrails were there
- all the screens were there in new condition
- foul weather skirts were all there in new condition
- new tent repair kit (some minor repairs needed, so this will come in handy)
- (2) power converters - and original one and an updated V3 version
- second large ice chest (you can never have too much beer when you go camping)
- (2) new in the package burner maintenance kits
- (2) new power fueling can adapters

Overall the trailer is in pretty good condition, a little more than I wanted to pay, but you gotta jump on things when they come up. Hopefully, I can get the missing pieces and have it up and running in a short time. Depending on how things go, I may even bring it down to Aberdeen in the spring.

Anyone know where to get a replacement griddle for the MKT? Anyone that has a MKT, got any good pictures and dimensions of the griddle so I can have one made? What are they made out of? Stainless steel or plate steel?

and just so I don't get hit with not having any pics..... here's a few from the other day.

Attachments

Crazyguypa

anyone have any clue what these are for? I could not find them anywhere in the manual, I think they are just extra pieces, but for what I have no idea...

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
They are for a fly that goes out over the ends of the trailer we often had barrels of hot water with an emersion heater going in it containing cans of what ever the cooks wanted us to take hot like a ughhh lunch bucket lazzagna(LBL) I can not eat another one of those after the MRE ban in September 1990 as I sat in the Saudia Arabian desert getting meal after meal of lunch buckets. I think I remeber those flys fitting into the body somewhere but my mind was a haze after my nth LBL

/Nice catch always a good trailer to have

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David is correct that those poles are mounted straight out from the sides to hold the solid wall sections 'out' from the floor during rainy weather, thus keeping the inside a tad drier. If you need some M-59 ovens, I picked up five at Eglin back in October. They were complete with all utensils, pots and even M-2 burners. And last month I picked up over 1000 pounds of roof canopies, side walls and screens (all in tan, not green) at Warner-Robins. I'll get the dimensions on the griddle and post them here for reference.

Crazyguypa

That's funny. My wife's girlfriends call it "Frank's Soup Kitchen". I'll have to have a sign made and hang it up on the ladder entrances.

Gotta get some lights and speakers mounted up. It won't be original, but it will be very nice to have.

Nonotagain

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I Just Picked up a mkt-90 and have searched online for a owners manual. But havnt had any luck. Can anyone help me find???
Welcome to the site and welcome to the MKT club! Go to this thread and follow the instructions: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/56288-mkt-thumb-drive-contents.html. Mike will provide you with more material on the MKT than you can read in a month. He is the SS MKT Guru.

I plan to take mine to the Steel Soldiers Rally in College Station in March if I can acquire a Travel Wrap before then and will also have it at Muster at Camp Mabry in April.

In case you're not a member, the Lonestar MVPA meets at Camp Mabry the 3rd Wed of the month (this Wed) and you're more than welcome to drop by.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark,
Looks like we will have a couple of travel covers next month. I'll contact you via e-mail with the details once they are in hand.

And just for general edification, the manuals for all the MKT's are the same - TM 10-7360-206-13 and -23P. They cover from the MKT-75 through the MKT-I (MKT-99 Improved).

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mike. I had to take mine down to get it inspected for the license plate and even going less than 30mph without the travel cover caused the walkway cover to flap and tear. There's no way I can take it out of town at this point.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks