• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MKT-99 Vin? Help!

rwbrown72

OK guys... I need help. GL says I'm not sending in the right vin information. Here are some photos of all the numbers and data plates I can find on the MKT. If I'm missing one somewhere, would someone please tell me where to look. I just spent all morning under it with a flashlight and found nothing. I am wondering if the vin is either in one of these and I just don't know what I'm looking at or it is on the frame and painted over. Help if you can! Thanks.

Russell B.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What number have you been sending to GL?

rwbrown72

What number have you been sending to GL?
THe first number I sent it was the DTID number: W52HTK00900002A. I got it off the GL paperwork. I guess they mislabeled it as the vin. Anyway, I just don't want to rock the boat and send in the wrong number again. It looks like the Vehicle Identification number is 65. I cut off the other part in the picture. That is what is throwing me for a loop. It can't be 65. That is why I keep thinking I'm missing the boat on this.

RB

:oops:

Crazyguypa

I'm certainly no expert, but shouldn't it be the serial number in your first pic?

LC

That looks like the right number to me. The odd thing with your trailer is you have a identification number for the field kitchen portion (LME-0122) and an identification number for the M103-A3 trailer frame (65). This is probably where GL is getting their error from. They can only put one number down for the vin. I would go with the LME-0122, and if they have a problem send them the pictures of the plates.

Frank

rwbrown72

That looks like the right number to me. The odd thing with your trailer is you have a identification number for the field kitchen portion (LME-0122) and an identification number for the M103-A3 trailer frame (65). This is probably where GL is getting their error from. They can only put one number down for the vin. I would go with the LME-0122, and if they have a problem send them the pictures of the plates.

Frank
Yep... I think you are right. I'm going to go with that. We shall see what happens.

RB

papercu

I thought a LEO had to verify the numbers before you sent it back? What did they say?
If you use the number on the dataplates they are not going to be in any DMV database but if you are ever checked on the road you don't want two numbers on the vehicle.
The VINs today are 17-character, and do not use the letters I (i), O (o), or Q. Wayne

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
motor vehicle VIN's are 17 digits. This is a trailer, made some years ago, so the rules are not quite the same. Here in SC, the county (property) tax people get the first shot and when the VIN they put on your tax receipt matches the SF-97, the highway dept just calls over a supervisor to put in the over-ride code for 'less than 17 digits'.

papercu

This is a trailer, made some years ago, so the rules are not quite the same.
These are newer DMV folks, made to follow their rules and if you don't get too far out of their comfort zone things tend to have a happier outcome.
The LEO still has to verify the G/L form before it is returned to them and THEN you get the SF 97 which then you show the DMV. Right?
Ga doesn't care about older vehicles/ trailers. Small trailer if no VIN just tell them, they give you a small tag and you rivet it to the frame and you are on the way. Wayne

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
From a military perspective it is the LME...(whatever you number was) number. That is how the military tracks these trailers. The question comes up fairly often outside of this forum. Get this question about a dozen times a year.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to the records... In the Army, units are lucky to get the SAMMS disk with the maintaincece info when a piece of equipment gets transferred from one unit to another. I have yet to see a piece of Army equipment go out the door from GL with anything more that a outdated 2404/5988E stuffed in the glove box.

The Air Force does a much better job at transferring records though. My USAF M35A2C came with a whole 1 inch thick packet of records, everything from the build order to AMG to the email saying it had met it's 18 year service life commitment and to send it to DRMO. Everything inbetween such as inspections, parts requests, unit to unit transfers are all there. The funniest thing is a memo that authorizes $3.50 cents to to be spent to make up a chock holder out of some metal stock at the airbase's metal fabrication shop. Heck, I even have the Bill Of Lading from the truck that brought it from AMG to it's first unit..

rwbrown72

From a military perspective it is the LME...(whatever you number was) number. That is how the military tracks these trailers. The question comes up fairly often outside of this forum. Get this question about a dozen times a year.
Ok...I sent the email back with lme0122 as the request for the vin number. I'll let you guys know what GL says and then what the people's republic of illinois say. Gotta love Illinois.... The state where our governors make our license plate!

jasonjc

The Air Force does a much better job at transferring records though. My USAF M35A2C came with a whole 1 inch thick packet of records, everything from the build order to AMG to the email saying it had met it's 18 year service life commitment and to send it to DRMO. Everything inbetween such as inspections, parts requests, unit to unit transfers are all there. The funniest thing is a memo that authorizes $3.50 cents to to be spent to make up a chock holder out of some metal stock at the airbase's metal fabrication shop. Heck, I even have the Bill Of Lading from the truck that brought it from AMG to it's first unit..

Thats funny my air force M35A2C came with NOTHING they even removed all the data plates and painted over any and all marking on the truck. Even the safty wranings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks