• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MKT newbie, volunteer for KP, boston area

jpg

I'd like to learn all I can about operating an MKT. If anyone has plans to use one anywhere near Boston, I volunteer for KP. I'm no chef, but I can fetch and carry and clean and lift large objects.

Are there any MKTs anywhere near Boston? (Within a few hundred miles?) I'd like to see one, even if it's not in use.

My son wrestles, and at tournaments we parents have to feed as many as 10 high-school wrestling teams and their entourages. These tournaments can last 14 hours, so we go through a lot of food. We've been doing this for years, and we have the process working pretty smoothly, with lots of volunteers. People cook at home and we use lots of sterno warmers and crock pots. An MKT would allow us to massively upgrade our menu.

I'm monitoring GL, but I'm also open to other sources if anyone has recommendations. Or perhaps an MKT owner in the area might be interested in helping us feed hordes of wrestlers...

Thanks in advance for any info, leads, advice, etc.,
-jpg

exbrown

Welcome to the group.

There are several people on here that are very knowledgable about MKTs.

I bought two for the same reason. My son's ROTC and wrestling team.

At the moment, I do not have mine at home, but I plan on using them a lot.

Good luck.

m109guy

MKT's are TONS of work. Cooking at home and re-heating the food is very different than making it in fresh in person. There is also a lot of work setting up the MKT to get it ready to cook, breaking it down afterwards and keeping the unit clean. You also have to haul all your gear with you (usually a deuce with the back full of food and other gear).

If you plan on using the MKT to simply cook the food to be eaten afterwards, that is one thing. But if you plan on cooking and serving out the MKT, it is something very different.

We got back from a show this weekend where we cooked for all the re-enactors, staff and people showing off the military vehicles. All the food was served hot right out of the MKT. We spent 3/4 of our time at the show either preparing the MKT for cooking (pre-cooking some things, pulling out food, chopping vegetables, etc, etc). So we barely had time to do anything else at the show which is somewhat disappointing. The people cooking for the general public had an much easier time as they only cooked hot-dogs and hamburgers and were using a few regular BBQ's.

We still haven't had the time to re-open the MKT to rip it apart and clean it out properly so that it is ready for the next show. To be safe, you can't just wipe down things with a rag and call it a day. Dirt/dust get in there from people walking in/out of the unit, as well as from transport (the tarps will keep out most of the dust, but a good amount can still make it inside). You have to open up everything and clean it properly so that you won't have any problems. Once back from a show we open the MKT up and go through it with a hot-water (steam) pressure washer to get into all the nooks and crannies. Takes about 3-4 hours to wash everything (including all the utensils, pots, pans, etc), then put it all back inside and close it up. We also generally cover all the sensitive things like the cooking plate, big pots and the deep fryer (yeah we installed a deep fryer) with plastic to make sure dust doesn't get on it in transport to the next show.

MKT's are great pieces of equipment, and can be a lot of fun, but expect a lot of work! ;)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second that, and I don't even own one. But I have seen all the effort that it takes to set up the trailer, cook for 40-70 people at Haspin rally, clean all the dishes and equipment (mostly after every meal, but certainly once a day), and pack everything up when the rally is all over. Cabell Garbee set his up past two years. Looks like a great thing to have, but MAN it must be a lot of work for him to own it and maintain it properly.

WPNS421

Yes as M109 Guy states it is alot of work but well worth the effort. You see alot of happy people eating something hot and good.We recently purchased prepared meals from MRE Depot, these are large trays of food capable of feeding 18 people. The combo packs contain the main meal(chicken, beef pork etc) you have 1 x pack of rice or potatoes and 2 trays of dessert. Cost about $34 per combo set. The food is quite good and keeps on the shelf for years. These packs are heated by placing them in boiling water for 30 minutes, then open and serve. This is the simplist way to feed a large group.
We have done 2 large events this summer and we will be having our next event in 2 weeks, feeding breakfast to 100 veterans and their family, later this summer a corn roast to raise funds to send the children of servicemen serving oversea to a summer camp. We have 2 MKTs fully equipped and are presently using one. One of the biggest expenses on an MKT is stocking all the expendables i.e. salt pepper spices, plates etc, this summer we have paid everything. We bought our MKT to cook in. If you get a MKT don't be afraid to use it and most important don't be afraid to charge for what you make, you have expenses. Enjoy

Last edited:

jpg

Thanks folks.

I'll try to make the beginning of the rally, but I have to be home for my son's football games, so I'll miss the end.

I appreciate there's a lot of work involved in feeding 1000 people 3 meals and snacks over 14 hours. We do that work now, using lots of well-organized volunteers. I'm thinking an MKT would allow us to improve our menu. I was hoping the difference between cleaning one MKT vs a cleaning dozen home kitchens would be about a wash. ;^) I imagined pressure-washing the MKT before and after, running all utensils/pots/pans through a dishwasher, and storing them in a dustproof container.

Thanks for the MRE Depot lead. I spent a decade working DoD logistics, analyzing requirements and capabilities for consumables including rations. I've met the food scientists who create the recipies for B Rations, MREs, etc. I think the tray packs would work very well for our purposes.

I understand the cash-flow issues. We spend a lot of money on materials now.

The way we operate now, we organize about 100 parents to each prepare some food, and spend some time serving and/or cleaning. The cooking and cleaning happens in 50 different kitchens, and each family buys their own ingredients. With an MKT, we would move to a much more communal cooking model.

I know it's a lot of work to cook and serve 3 meals and snacks for 1000 people over 14 hours, especially with no on-site cooking facilities. I know an MKT would allow us to improve our offerings. Are you guys saying an MKT would be more work than the 50-kitchen approach we use now?

Thanks,
-jpg

m109guy

I know it's a lot of work to cook and serve 3 meals and snacks for 1000 people over 14 hours, especially with no on-site cooking facilities. I know an MKT would allow us to improve our offerings. Are you guys saying an MKT would be more work than the 50-kitchen approach we use now?
Yes, most likely.

You are currently doing one or two little things in 50 kitchens, using 100 people.

Now you will be doing 100 little things in ONE kitchen (MKT) with 4 people doing it. You cannot have 20 people working in the MKT. You can only have a max of 4 people working in there. Plus there is only one cooking plate, two small ovens (compared to the larger home kitchen oven), and one small bit of counter space.

And once those people are finished cooking in their 50 kitchens, they have what, a couple bowls and a pan or two to clean? They throw it all in the dishwasher and leave.

When you are on site, you also don't have access to the dishwasher nor running water (unless you bring water with you). So you will likely have to bring everything back home dirty, open it all back up and clean it again. How many people do you think will will show up to help you clean everything after helping you bring all the equipment, help setup the MKT, cook for 1000 people, put everything away, pack up the MKT, bring it back home, then upwrap it, clean it up, repack it up again for next time? Not too many people. Maybe the first time, but once they see the amount of work needed, they won't want to do it again. No one every wants to help up do all that. They might want to help us setup the MKT, but nothing else.

The burners (MBU's) run on diesel fuel as well. Who is going to pay for the fuel to run them? Takes 15 gallons just to fill up the 6 burners.

There is another thing too you must consider, who is going to put out the cash to buy the MKT? If you are going to buy it yourself, then that is a lot of money you are putting on the line. Equipment degrades over time and needs replacement, you also have to expect repairs. That can cost a lot of money.

If you are going to buy it as a group, you have to make sure that everyone knows how things work, who is going to do what work when (and what happens if they don't want to bother helping anymore), who pays for maintenance, what if someone no longer wants to be part of the group, etc, etc.

You also have to be able to haul the MKT. You cannot haul it with a pickup truck. You need a deuce to safely haul the trailer. Do you have one available? Who will pay the fuel to run the deuce?

Then there is also the problem of insurance. Who is going to pay insurance on the trailer while it is on the road, as well as when it is setup? What happens if someone burns themself while cooking, or slips off the steps and hurts themself? You might be all friends and have a great time now, but even good friends sue each other some times when things go bad.

Be careful too operating an MKT in some areas, as certain places require a heath certificate to operate a mobile food stand.

I am not saying all these things to try and stop you from getting an MKT. But most people don't don't realize the hundreds of little things needed to get it up and running and keep it going. I would hate for you to spend thousands of dollars on a unit, getting it properly kitted out, then finding out that it doesn't work for you.

Good luck on your possible purchase!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Having been on the MKT crew with Mike and others at the last GA rally I can second a lot of the above as far as the work involved in setting up and breaking down.
We seemed to be able to coodinate pretty good when we were actually cooking inside the MKT.
Some of it was trial and error but we had some good assistance from volunteers who helped prep the food we were cooking.
We did manage to serve some good meals at reasonable prices and nobody suffered any gastric distress as a result.
This year we hope to have hot water capability without heating it on the stove...Mike also has some portable sinks we are going to try out.
If you can make it to the GA Rally in Oct. we will put you to work.

WPNS421

Having been on the MKT crew with Mike and others at the last GA rally I can second a lot of the above as far as the work involved in setting up and breaking down.
We seemed to be able to coodinate pretty good when we were actually cooking inside the MKT.
Some of it was trial and error but we had some good assistance from volunteers who helped prep the food we were cooking.
We did manage to serve some good meals at reasonable prices and nobody suffered any gastric distress as a result.
This year we hope to have hot water capability without heating it on the stove...Mike also has some portable sinks we are going to try out.
If you can make it to the GA Rally in Oct. we will put you to work.
For the hot water you should get your hands on an immersion heater, it will heat the water quite well and surprisingly fast. I would be curious to know exactly how many people actually use their MKTs to cook. We do and I know Mike and you do, would be a good thread to start.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Having lost a lot of body hair to immersion heaters I will pass......I have a diesel fired water heater that goes to a portable shower unit.....if we can trick someone into bringing a 5-10KW genny to the rally we will have an endless supply of hot water for cleaning and washing.

rwbrown72

If you go to the Gerogia Rally, please read up on skinning and butchering possum and armadillo. Remember, everything tastes better Deep Fried.... :grd:

WPNS421

If you get your hot water heater set up could you send me some pictures. I would really like to see this setup. We finally got a good size generator working, up north big generators are hard to come by. Thanks

Hi I run an MKT85 in the UK and use it for feeding our group for our 11 day stint at Beltring.
We Cook a full English breakfast every day and in the evenings we will have a Roast(not one of those funny American Ones:)) Chilli, Curry, Schintzle, Steaks to name just a few things. We only cook for about 20-40 but enjoy doing it and yes its bloody hard work.
I,m helped and help my German counter part as we take it in turns to cook and its great to cook different food styles on the MKT.
As others have said cleaning is a pain but easier now as we have just got a few of the American inflatable shower units which comes with a jet wash attachment so we just hose the whole unit down.(those showers are great and run off a slave socket a diesel jerry can and a water supply)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...those showers are great and run off a slave socket a diesel jerry can and a water supply
Could you get me a picture of the fuel connection at the hot water heater? I have 2 of these units but can't find the jerry can to heater line so need to try and fabricate something. Since the connector at the heater is a bit odd I can't even start without seeing one.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reading with much interest... great info--- great thread! But aside from the setup/take-down aspect, could it be any more hard work than a commercial kitchen? I wonder because I once worked at a Hilton in Florida and was asigned the outside grill located poolside, just a thongs throw from the white sandy beaches of the Gulf of Mexico. LORD---- I just loved that job! Did all my own prep indoors and hauled it out the pool area myself, grilling chicken, ribs, burgers, dogs, kabobs ala shrimp/beef/chicken, and served cole slaw/potato salad setups--- a lot of prep work no doubt--- but you couldn't beat the veiw, the free "mistake cocktails" from the waitresses, the friendly sunburned tourists, and what a blast!:beer:
Anyway, enjoying the thread and looking forward to getting my MKT setup--- cheers!:-D

Could you get me a picture of the fuel connection at the hot water heater? I have 2 of these units but can't find the jerry can to heater line so need to try and fabricate something. Since the connector at the heater is a bit odd I can't even start without seeing one.
When I'm up the farm I'll snap a couple of pictures for you of the pipe connectors.
Should be there in the next couple of days

jpg

what happened to the guy in Boston. Did you ever get an MKT?
I'm the guy near Boston. Family commitments prevented me from attending the October rally, so I've still never seen an MKT in person. No I never got one, though it's still on my wish list.

JPG,
If you don't have any plans for April 27, 28, 29, you could attend the MTA Show and Swap Meet at the Sussex Co. Fairgrounds. Show is located about 70 miles from NYC in beautiful Sussex County. We will have 3 MKT's setup and we will be cooking meals all 3 days, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We could always use the help and you would be able to see the MKT at work. If interested PM me and I can give you directions to the show. Thanks.

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks