• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MKT to Food Sanitation Trailer

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started on converting a stripped out MKT into a Field Sanitation Trailer. One I got has all three ladders, with handrails, an old icebox, all 12 canopy support poles, eight guard rails (horizontal railings), two standouts for wet weather and one long side wall section. It's a two digit serial number MKT-85, with the 12 vent roof. Most of the roof screens are pretty groady, but I have replacements so that will not be a problem. First order of business is to get the floor clear of all the braces for the old cabinets and cleaned up.

Then I will start fabricating mock-ups for the sink base to determine it's exact position. That will determine how the drain table is attached. I've also got to build a frame for the 35 gallon water tank, a base for the M-59 range, the drying racks and the grease trap, and make storage areas for the ladders, poles and handrails. The canvas and screens will be carried in the sinks to simplify their storage (and so I don't forget them).

I'm scrounging up tan vinyl covers, roof canopies, screens and walls (got most of that in that GL lot at Warner-Robins three years ago). I have the sinks, the range, the drain table, the water tank, an inverter, the four MBU's, the Rube Goldberg grease trap and have a source for the drying racks - just gotta go get them.

The layout of the trailer, going counter-clockwise from the passenger side rear, is: Food scraping station in the corner with a plastic trash can (minimize particles of food in the wash water), then the three sinks (wash, rinse and sterilize) and the drain table to finish off that side. Front driver side will start off with the drying racks - large pots will go on the very top to best utilize space. This will take up most of the room on that side. At the very back an M-59 range will be placed facing the rear. it's sole purpose will be to heat large pots of water for coffee, tea and hot chocolate. That frees the two ranges in the MKT up for actual cooking duties.

Attached are pictures of what I'm starting with, more will be added as progress is made.

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good lighting will really help the cleaning effort, esp. after the evening meal. BTW, I have a replacement for the cheese wheel. I'm going to try to get all the parts fabricated out of aluminum to keep weight down - this one should be at least 1000 pounds lighter than the MKT. And, yes they will be butt to butt, just like we had Adam's MKT in 2011. Not having to go down to the ground (and bring stuff back up all the time) should make our lives a bit easier.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tigger,

I'll have to recruit at least one more driver. Should have the rolling bunkhouse (S-280 on the M-36) ready by then also, so they'll have a place to bed down.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
any way we could pipe into the drain next to the MKT to get rid of the gray water from the sinks! just a thought!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We are evaluating several options concerning keeping the area around the MKT from becoming a mud hole.

The folks at Durhamtown go out of their way to make us feel welcome and try to address problems we have....I'm sure we'll come up with a creative way to solve this problem.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put the stove and the sinks on it today, then decided it ought to have the roof canopies. So the top was lowered, roof canopies installed, roof raised back up, canopy poles installed and two pieces of the tan wall sections put in place. Guess I'll put the screens in next, just so they are off the bedroom floor. BTW, I'm looking for some more tan wall sections, one short and two intermediate - will put something in the classifieds.

Now I need to find a local fabricator/welder to make the stands for the stove and sinks out of aluminum, relocate one of the side rails and get it all in final position. Got the rest of the steps laid out in my mind, but need to make progress before finalizing them.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WM,

I plan on having a full set of screens and walls for both trailers on hand, so we can put up what is needed. If I can get two full sets of the standout struts we could have the walls out for air circulation in rainy weather and the screens hanging straight down to reduce the insect population inside - best of both worlds!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, I can do the aluminum welding for free, if you can get the material.

Looks great, I will try to get over and give you a hand with it if you need me to.

M1031CMT

Looking good. Gives me second thoughts about bringing our parts MKT to scrap last year. Though we did get $1,200 just in aluminum.

Make sure you keep us up to date with lots of pictures!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks