• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mn guys. Registration? what plates on your deuce?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apparently the dopes in St. Paul don't know what they are doing. They had my a3 plated with 1 ton plates, no they're telling me to surrender them, wrong plates. What plates will I get? This is not a commercial vehicle or venture, do they give you some other plate I don't know about or do they put commercial plates? Doesn't that open us up to dot ect?

dittle

I believe they are "Y" plates for that classification of vehicle. My deuce has collector plates on it but those will soon be going away for different reasons.

Hoefler

I have my A3's titled Commercial-Y plate. If you dont use truck for hire, no inspect. I have them plated at less than 26K-cant remeber but think its more like 15K or so.
Have an M923 5-ton titled as Farm Vehicle. If you license as farm its very inexpensive, limited to 150 miles from home but can cross state line. You could license as a RV-inexpensive but need to have a camper on it with toilet and other RV stuff.
I use the DMV in White Bear lake-the gals there know what they are doing and are easy to work with. There must be several MV's in the area-they know exactly how to do it.
Pete

Attachments

HASSON1911

that's gonna come back and bite you eventually.
Thats what i thought to so i made sure everyone knew what the truck was and what it could do. Ins. says the numbers all match and theres nothing on the truck that says it isn't a chevy or other brand. and DMV says it meets their weight standards and collector plate standard. So as far as it seems i should be safe....Right?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I guess if the insurance company says ok..... I'd still be worried about that should you get in a major accident, then the insurance investigators show up to find it isn't a chevy. did you buy that with a title that said Chevy? Whoever titled it committed fraud. What weight did it get registered for? Wierd situation.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have my A3's titled Commercial-Y plate. If you dont use truck for hire, no inspect. I have them plated at less than 26K-cant remeber but think its more like 15K or so.
Have an M923 5-ton titled as Farm Vehicle. If you license as farm its very inexpensive, limited to 150 miles from home but can cross state line. You could license as a RV-inexpensive but need to have a camper on it with toilet and other RV stuff.
I use the DMV in White Bear lake-the gals there know what they are doing and are easy to work with. There must be several MV's in the area-they know exactly how to do it.
Pete
I got the plates exchanged, good to go now till feb next year. The Y plates they gave me are noncommercial 21,000# sticker(registered for 19,200). Happy for that cause I could already see getting stopped and harassed with commercial plates not being a commercial enterprise. All good. Ironic though I couldn't keep the "support our troop plates" for my military truck!

I assume even though I have non commercial plates I still have to stop at scales?

We need to work on our legislators to get MV rules like Texas, they don't even have to run plates AFAIK.

BTW Pete, is there a "farm" definition to get farm plates? I have 5 acres( hobby farm?) would that suffice?

Last edited:

Hoefler

I went out to my shop and checked my A3-I have a G plate on it.
On the farm plate deal-I have read the MN regulations. It makes no mention of what a "farm" is. It talks about hauling fertilizer and farm stuff, but it also speaks to logging ops.
I too have 5 acres-do lots of tree cutting (oak wilt). I haul tree parts, brush etc. I also haul corn to feed deer in my yard. Each year we raise-or at least try to raise ducks and turkeys. I say try, because it seems the fox around here enjoy our birds more than me!
I am planning on purchasing a plot of land and actually do hobby farming.
You are close by-I keep my trucks in Centerville. Perhaps when the weather gets better we could have a little get together. Seems there are several MV owners in the area.
Pete

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm hoping. Got a few fellows on here within truckin distance, be interesting to see us all converge on a place to eat and shoot the %^&t. Two Pete's already.
Think if I get a 5 ton, I'll try the farm route. Just keep a bale of hay for the ducks and chickens in it, though if it's a wrecker that might not fly with an observant servant of the law.... ;)
Regards, Bob

Hoefler

Bob,
I was thinking on the bale of hay and feed route for my big truck. I do have a big cage with chicken wire on it-could keep that in the back.
The 5 ton has a nice transmission and power steering but rides like-well just like a truck. She bucks and kicks like a bronco. I prefer the ride in my A3. An A3 with good properly inflated tires and ATF in the transmission is the best all around in my opinion. Mine performs well on fuel as well.
The 5 tons are thirsty buggers. Perhaps I could kill two birds with one stone an place a dead tractor in the bed of the 5 ton-make the ride better and keep the LOE's at bay.
RePete

HASSON1911

Well I guess if the insurance company says ok..... I'd still be worried about that should you get in a major accident, then the insurance investigators show up to find it isn't a chevy. did you buy that with a title that said Chevy? Whoever titled it committed fraud. What weight did it get registered for? Wierd situation.
yep, thats how i bought it with the title saying it was a chevy, but the weight is correct at 13,000lbs.

Munk

I have my m35a2 with farm plates at 26,000. I also have my 109a3 at personal collectors plates. The only problems i have had is with the the farm plate being in the back window.

tcruwithme

I just saw this thread. I have a 1985 M35A2C that has collector plates on it. I brought a picture of the truck and a few pictures of the data plates into the DMV and they suggested collector plates for the one-time registration. My title says the make is "AMGR" and the model/body is "TK". Tax base on the title is "000000" and the code is "99." They took the numeric part off the data plate for the VIN. Odometer says "N/REQD."

I have insurance through State Farm that runs $128.90 every six months. On my insurance policy, they have the vehicle description listed as "1985 AM General M35A2" and they took the entire serial number off the data plate for the VIN (alpha characters and numeric characters). State Farm's policy also states "How is this vehicle normally used?" The answer is "Limited use antique/classic."

Hoefler

Hey Wolf,
I am in the process of registering my M923A2 as a collector vehicle in MN. I just got a letter from the State asking me to write a letter stating its intended use.
One time plates and fee.
Nice.
Pete

tcruwithme

Sweet! That's one less thing to worry about.

By the way, if any of the Minnesota MV owners want to meet for lunch or drinks sometime, I am game. I'm only a couple years into owning my truck, and I just got a trailer this year. It would be nice to meet other members in person.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2nd the collector plate. I just plated my tractor for collector, I read an article somewhere that if it's not used as general transportation(as in driving to work everyday) you're good to go. I plane on plating all mine collector as their registrations come up for renewal. I drive one of my vehicles(alternate) per weekend so that's definitely not general transportation. I agree would be pretty cool for us to get together before the snow starts flying again.

I had a couple plated farm, because then my wife could drive it legally AFAIK.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks