• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mobil 1 in a HMMWV

BradIXXI

Hope everyone is safe and happy.
I use Mobil 1 Oil in all my vehicles and I just acquired a 2004 HMMWV M1097A2 non-turbo 6.5L with 4L80E transmission.
I would like to use Mobil 1 in my Humvee and looking for suggestions and recommendations.

Attachments

McSpeed

I am a big mobile one guy too - but in my humvee I put the diesel oil in. Just regular mineral oil. Can't remember the brand...but did do an a/c delco filter

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 2 that jump to mind are the Shell Rotella or the Delo 400, Probably the most used diesel oils. but there many to choose from.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
What is OEM oil that is good enough for that engine, is is much cheaper?
If you want it to last forever it must be running as if She was designed to be used.
What is design manufacturer OEM lube oil?

BradIXXI

What is OEM oil that is good enough for that engine, is is much cheaper?
If you want it to last forever it must be running as if She was designed to be used.
What is design manufacturer OEM lube oil?
The question has nothing to do with cost of the Oil.
I use Mobil 1 on all my other vehicles and would like to use it, if possible, in my Humvee.
Thank you for your input.

MattNC

I use the shell rotella 15w-40 on the hmmwv and all other diesel tractors I have. I have heard some of the lighter full synthetics leak more from hmmwv's but that is info received second hand.

Ajax MD

@BradIXXI-

The Diesel Mobil 1 you have selected is fine. Other Mobil 1 oils are not for use with diesel engines.

There ARE diesel and gasoline classifications of oil as described by the API (American Petroleum Institue). When selecting an engine oil, look on the bottle for a "C" or an "S." The "C" stands for "Compression ignition" and is suitable for diesel engines. The "S" refers to "Spark Ignition" and is NOT suitable for diesel engines. Premature main bearing wear will occur and you'll be left with an expensive paperweight in about 2 years' time.

A note about synthetics-

Depending on the age and wear on the engine, switching to synthetics can reveal leaks on worn seals due to the smaller molecule size and easier flow of synthetic oils. The Lubrication Order (at least for older HMMWVs) called for HDO 30 oil, which is straight-up, dead dinosaur oil. Not even multi-viscosity. Don't be surprised if you eventually develop slow leaks. The synthetic doesn't damage the seals, it just causes worn seals to leak more readily.

There is some discussion on the web that synthetics lack certain solvents that conventional oils have, which causes older style seals made of plain rubber to shrink and leak. I can't confirm this, but it seems to be mostly myth.

My personal preferences-

Any new vehicle that I buy, is always kept on a strict regimen of synthetic (preferably Mobil 1) and good quality filters.
Older hobby vehicles that I own as well as my diesel-auxiliary sailboat get Shell Rotella T4.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ajax MD, you sound like me. Although I'm no professional mechanic, this is also what I do, as per my mechanic and rally-car building buddies.

An older Diesel stays on Rotella on my watch. I'm not saying Mobil 1 Diesel is bad. I'm just saying I stick with what I know.

If you're worried about $, go Rotella. If your engine is a brand new rebuild, you can go either way.

Wire Fox

You sound like someone that'd appreciate a reference from directly in the military... I've located a reference in a HMMWV "Quick Reference Guide" comprised of Army communications and PS Magazine articles pertaining to the HMMWV. Basically, this specific reference is going to tell you that 15W40 is the authorized and preferred replacement for the original OE30 oil called for in the HMMWV LO. When doing that, as stated by others here, you want a 15W40 oil that carries the appropriate compression engine rating, which is that C-mark. This website discusses the ratings in detail: https://www.api.org/products-and-se...ations/oil-categories#tab-diesel-c-categories

Here goes that military communication:

MODEL:
All TACOM-Managed Diesel Engine Powered Ground Vehicles and Equipment
SUBJECT:
Lubricating Oil Update
POC:
Mr. Steve Weisenhaus, AMSTA-IM-MTA, DSN 786-6950, Commercial (810) 574-xxxx
xxxxx @cc.tacom.army.mil
COMMENTS:
The following is provided for field information only:
A. MILITARY SPECIFICATION (MIL-L-2104) OILS:
  1. The military specification governing lubricating oils is MIL-L-2104, Lubricating Oil, Internal Combustion Engine, Combat/Tactical Service. The specification covers viscosity grades 10, 30, 40 and multi-viscosity 15W40 weight oils. In Apr 83, MIL-L-2104 was revised. In the revision, 50 weight oil was deleted and multi-viscosity 15W40 was added. OE/HDO-15/40 is the military symbol for the SAE 15W40 Grade under MIL-L-2104.15W40 is packaged in either a 1 quart, 5 gallon, or 55 gallon container, each with a different NSN.
  2. These oils (MIL-L-2104) can be used in internal combustion engines, power steering units, hydraulic systems, transmissions, and gearbox units. However, you should check the applicable vehicle/equipment lubrication order if you are unsure about proper grade or type of lubrication.
  3. With certain exceptions, which are detailed in paragraph 5, 15W40 oils can be used in place of 10, 30 and 40 weight oils where ambient temperatures are expected to exceed 5 degrees Fahrenheit (- 15 degrees Celsius). When used, 15W40 oils must not be mixed with single grade lubricating oils. This ensures the lubrication and protective properties will not be diluted. Complete oil change is required when converting to 15W40 oil. Arctic grade oil (OEA) is still required in areas where expected ambient temperature is lower than 5 degrees Fahrenheit.
  4. Straight weight oils such as 10, 30, and 40 weight oils are still valid for individual applications and may be used where appropriate. Changing from straight weight oils to 15W40 is not required, however, under certain climatic conditions use of 15W40 may reduce or eliminate the need for seasonal oil changes.
  5. Multiviscosity 15W40 oil should not be used in the following vehicle components or situations:
    1. Abrams Tank - X1100 Transmission
    2. JD 410 Loader Backhoe Transmission
    3. Equipment covered by a manufacturer's warranty specifying other lubricating oils.
    4. Hydraulic systems requiring use of MIL-H-6083 or MIL-H-46170 Hydraulic Fluids.
    5. The M88 Improved Recovery Vehicle (IRV) transmission.
  6. Since straight weight oils should not be mixed with multi-viscosity oils, we recommend that those vehicle components with multi-grade oil be identified. The following are suggested methods for identifying vehicles using multi-viscosity oils:
    1. Use red wire tag, NSN 8135-00-952-0672, and mark the tag with a statement such as "use 15W40 oil only" and secure the tag in the oil dipstick.
    2. Use the Equipment Identification Card, record a statement such as "use 15W40 oil only" between the NSN AOAP sample lines.
    3. Use DD Form 1970 Motor Equipment Utilization, and record in the oil block a statement such as "use 15W40 oil only."
    4. In the remarks block of DD Form 314, Preventive Maintenance Schedule, record a statement such as "Change oil with 15W40."
    5. In the remarks block of DA Form 2408-20, oil analysis log, record a
      statement such as "oil changed with 15W40."
B. COMMERCIAL HEAVY DUTY OIL (CHDO):
  1. CHDO is authorized as an alternative to MIL-L-2104 for use in all tactical wheeled vehicle engines only. Combat (tracked) vehicle applications, all tactical (wheeled) vehicle non-engine applications, and special purpose equipment (such as material handling, construction, construction support, trailer/tanker pony auxiliary engine) applications are not authorized to use the CHDO. Users should continue to use lubricants identified in the appropriate lubrication orders for all equipment, except for the use of CHDO in tactical wheeled vehicle engines.
  2. We encourage maintenance managers and supply personnel to order CHDO products over MIL-L-2104 whenever possible. CHDO
    costs less than MIL-L-2104 and is delivered directly from the vendor in CONUS. When you order in pallet sized quantities, you
    should receive your shipment in less than 15 days. Direct vendor delivery is not available for OCONUS customers. All OCONUS
    requirements will be filled from depot stocks.
  3. The following is a complete list of authorized available CHDO
    products:

GRADE
UNIT OF ISSUE
NSN
15W40BX (12 1 QT)9150-01-351-9019
15W40CO (5 GAL)9150-01-352-2962
15W40DR (55 GAL)9150-01-351-9018
3OWBX (12 1 QT)9150-01-351-9016
3OWCO (5 GAL)9150-01-352-8090
3OWDR (55 GAL)9150-01-351-9015
4OWDR (55 GAL)9150-01-352-8091

PUBLICATIONS AFFECTED:
All tactical vehicle lubrication orders will be updated to include both CHDO and MIL-L-2104 oil during their next scheduled change/revision.

LEVEL OF MAINTENANCE:
Operator and Unit

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks