• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Model DJEAM & Model DJBMA diesel engines

hogpatch

I deal in military surplus. I need help identifying the generators (or any other applications) that used the Model DJEAM & Model DJBMA diesel engines.
I recently purchased a lot with 9 new crankshafts for these engines. Anyone out there with knowledge on these engines applications?
Would greatly appreciate any help.

rustystud

I deal in military surplus. I need help identifying the generators (or any other applications) that used the Model DJEAM & Model DJBMA diesel engines.
I recently purchased a lot with 9 new crankshafts for these engines. Anyone out there with knowledge on these engines applications?
Would greatly appreciate any help.
There all "ONAN" engines. They will fit the MEP-002A and MEP-003A engines. The problem with having all those cranks is no one rebuilds their ONAN engines as it is cheaper to just buy another used generator ! Now the MEP-002A and MEP-003A generators are being phased out by the release of the newer MEP-802's and MEP-803's and the even newer MEP-831 series with the alternator instead of a generator. Less fuel and less noise. I myself own two MEP-002A units and one MEP-003A , and I want to buy a newer MEP-831 (3KW) unit. After using these older generators for years I found out I don't need all that KW for my home. I've learned to use less in an outage and thus use less fuel. In fact I haven't used my MEP-003A in years. I still start it up though. All this to say you might have problems selling your crankshafts.

Last edited:

hogpatch

Thanks Rustystud, I think those engines were also used in boats (civilian), maybe I'll have some luck that direction. I would still like to know the MEP- that had these engines.
They were used on carrier, ammunition, tracked, M992 & the M88A1 medium recovery vehicle.

rustystud

and now the new MEP1030 with the Kubota engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr1ayc6_xeo
I'm not sure but hasn't the military gone to only using "Inverter alternator" generating units ? That means all the older style generators will soon be on the market. My old buddy was telling me this just a while back. Since the military depends on computers so much they wanted better generators providing cleaner power. Of course he could have just been feeding me some BS but I believe he was telling the truth.

I love those three cylinder Kubota engines ! They last for years !

Last edited: