• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

model year differences?

Biggles

are there any differences in the model years of the CUCV's? I've only ever seen M1009's in 84, 85 and 86 models. Are these the only years they were made? are they any different besides being made a year or two apart? I searched and didn't find anything.

Crash_AF

There are differences in the front hubs and driveshafts used, but overall they are all 1984 Chevy's. The Mil contract required them to be the same for parts interchangeability purposes and the model year upgrades were not applied to the later trucks. There were some late contract 87 trucks and some early contract late 83 trucks, but that's it.

There are some CUCV IIs that were procured in the early 90s, but there wasn't a big 50k plus contract for them like the original CUCV series. There are also some LSSVs floating around that are late model Silverados, but again, they were a limited purchase.

Later,
Joe

dieselpony

Some more differences between years:

- Motor oil withdrawel
- Frame reinforcement (at least on the right frame near the exhaust manifold)

Don't know for sure if this were true modifications.

Walter

Biggles

thanks. I didn't think there were any major differences. now what are these 6 cylinder ones? they aren't called an M1009 they are something else but they look just like an M1009

ida34

There are no 6 cylinder cucvs. Their might be a contract blazer that is not an M series vehicle but I do not think any full size blazers from that era ever came with a 6 cylinder.

Crash_AF

Some more differences between years:

- Motor oil withdrawel
- Frame reinforcement (at least on the right frame near the exhaust manifold)

Don't know for sure if this were true modifications.

Walter
The oil sampling valve is on all of the trucks that I've seen but I don't know if it was a mid-contract change or was added while in service through a MWO. That was done so that the Army could extend the oil change intervals through testing.

The frame reinforcement is supposed to be on both sides and was a mid-contract change beginning March 1985 due to flexing/damage to vehicles while sling lifting by the front and rear clevises during loading operations. All CUCVs were supposed to get a retrofit to add those but some slipped through the cracks and didn't. (Ref: TM 55-2320-289-14 Sec 2-6)

Later,
Joe

dieselpony

The oil sampling valve is on all of the trucks that I've seen but I don't know if it was a mid-contract change or was added while in service through a MWO. That was done so that the Army could extend the oil change intervals through testing.

The frame reinforcement is supposed to be on both sides and was a mid-contract change beginning March 1985 due to flexing/damage to vehicles while sling lifting by the front and rear clevises during loading operations. All CUCVs were supposed to get a retrofit to add those but some slipped through the cracks and didn't. (Ref: TM 55-2320-289-14 Sec 2-6)

Later,
Joe
Thanks for the clarification! I hoped so much that somebody would chime in on this subject! :jumpin:

I bought my M1008 in Sep 1997 from a surpuls dealer here in germany. Maybe the truck left GL way before the modifications took place.

Another one:
I remember the voltmeter gauge. There are at least 2 different models.

Walter

Biggles

there's some of what appears to me to be M1009's on GL that are called something else and say 6 cylinder engine. I don't know if I'm allowed to link to it or anything so I'll leave it at that.

2deuce

Did the seat bases get an upgrade in the later models or were they replacements for bases that went bad? It also seems engine HP ratings changed on the sticker on the air cleaner, whether there were any actual mods I haven't heard of any.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks