• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moderators~ Time for a Generator only forum!?

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would offer my services as well. Will take some training and patience. This site is the only ones where you can find the information and members experience to help with troubleshooting. Most valuable. Don't believe me,search some obscure military equipment designation and see which website is going to show up. I believe if it existed that someone on this site has discussed it or will do so when they run across it. (Disclaimer: no classified info though). I was drawn to gen sets because I enjoy tinkering and I feel as though we should repurpose as much of this equipment as possible. Taxpayers (i.e. us) paid good money for this equipment and it was built to last.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a moderator's only forum for discussions away from prying eyes.

Do we want to have all the models have their own forums/sub-forums and then further segregate them by running/non-running and tan or green or camo and then tan camo or forest green or Vietnam Era green ad infinitum?

If you would better results when looking for something it starts with the members themselves. Give a meaningful title to your thread AND make sure that everything is spelled correctly. Deuce, not douche, duece, duce or dooce. Generator, NOT generater or genrater or genrator.

That would go a long ways towards solving a separate forum problem.....

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a moderator's only forum for discussions away from prying eyes.

Do we want to have all the models have their own forums/sub-forums and then further segregate them by running/non-running and tan or green or camo and then tan camo or forest green or Vietnam Era green ad infinitum?

If you would better results when looking for something it starts with the members themselves. Give a meaningful title to your thread AND make sure that everything is spelled correctly. Deuce, not douche, duece, duce or dooce. Generator, NOT generater or genrater or genrator.

That would go a long ways towards solving a separate forum problem.....
I think breaking it out as generators, then if you were feeling froggy... 1st Gen MEP, 2nd Gen TQG, 3Rd Gen AMMPs (which would be pretty empty as of now). But I think just having all the generators under one roof would go a long way to start (because we aren't all seasoned pros when first coming to this forum).

Guyfang

Staff member
If you're asking for votes, I think Main Heading, Generators, with sub headings of DOD Gen sets, (from MEP-002 through MEP-007) and then TQG's and then AMMPS, with a catch all of "Old Stuff". And we do have some traffic with "Old Stuff".

Fancy would also have PU sets, (Power Units) and PP sets, (Power Plants) And maybe "Generator Related".

Is it possible to go back and rename threads that might be misspelled/misnamed? I am a incredibly bad speller, (thank you Lord, for Spell Check!) and we could maybe improve that small problem.

Just another view of things

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're asking for votes, I think Main Heading, Generators, with sub headings of DOD Gen sets, (from MEP-002 through MEP-007) and then TQG's and then AMMPS, with a catch all of "Old Stuff". And we do have some traffic with "Old Stuff".

Fancy would also have PU sets, (Power Units) and PP sets, (Power Plants) And maybe "Generator Related".

Is it possible to go back and rename threads that might be misspelled/misnamed? I am a incredibly bad speller, (thank you Lord, for Spell Check!) and we could maybe improve that small problem.

Just another view of things

Yes, it is very possible to go back and change titles to more appropriate ones and correct spelling. Just look at the 1,200 or so I went back to correct all the Deuce misspellings in thread titles. I can't imagine trying to cull generators/generaters out of the fourm and then move them all..........

(Yes, I spelled forum wrong on porpoise.)

Get it?

(Yes, purpose is wrong too.)

Make my point yet?

Guyfang

Staff member
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I get it.

It's hard for me to imagine not correcting a word spelled wrong. It's just so easy when it's got a funny red line under it. I am dyslexic and fight hard to at least appear educated when I write something. But then it's a sore spot with me.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I try to correct every single thread title with a typo that I see. I say try.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start with "Generators".

That alone would help a lot.

If it's determined that sub-forums are needed, then great.

You have to start somewhere.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's wrong with "auxiliary equipment"?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like I wrote before;

Its totally saturated with genset threads.
Makes it extremely difficult to sort through.

Why so much resistance to this idea?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Because of the havoc it causes. Links to threads being invalidated, rights issues on the forum to be added, the mountain of work to make something that on the outside seems simple. I'm considering it, but for it to happen will require someone to help in the matter. (Who knows forums, specifically vB, and preferably someoe knowledge in gensets)

I know you think I'm being negative. But it's all the things you don't see that makes me leery of the proposal.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do it just like the trailer forum.

Look how many different trailers there are.
They are all covered under one forum title.

GenSets/Generators or whatever you want to title it will work just fine for all of them.

Seems like there's more than enough threads to justify its own forum.
Some folks agree.

Help to do this has been offered.

Lots of resistance from moderators for some reason.

Thats my take anyway......

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because of the havoc it causes. Links to threads being invalidated, rights issues on the forum to be added, the mountain of work to make something that on the outside seems simple. I'm considering it, but for it to happen will require someone to help in the matter. (Who knows forums, specifically vB, and preferably someoe knowledge in gensets)

I know you think I'm being negative. But it's all the things you don't see that makes me leery of the proposal.
Its not my website.
Do as you wish
I know I don't see the big picture. Never claimed too. Haven't a clue as to the specifics on such an idea.

I really don't think your being negative.

I just thought it would help others

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We've also had this come up under the 5 ton section. People want the M939's broken out from the M809's, and the M39's, exc. That's what seems to happen for all the sections.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My observation is that probably 95% of the threads(in the last 12 months) in the auxiliary equipment forum are about and titled gensets(nomenclature).

Right now, there is only one thread in the 20 most recent threads that is NOT a generator thread. It is about a kitchen trailer. I don't see that as interfering with finding genset threads/info.

Why would the title of the forum change anything, or help at all?

I just don't see why this would make any difference.

Last edited:

dav5

It isn't a problem for the genset guys. It is a problem for everyone else who has to wade through genset stuff to find whatever interests them other than gensets.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like learning to search efficiently would solve the problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks