• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modern multifuel redesign?

Stalwart

The LDS465-2 easily made over 200 hp. but they took away the mulit-fuel capacity, probably to keep EGT's under control.

Flat Black

a 12 valve B Series Cummins will run on **** near anything except probably gasoline... no idea how to make a diesel run on gas

I might be cautious about running on straight ATF or straight waste motor oil, etc for obvious reasons, but the motor would probably burn it...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
no idea how to make a diesel run on gas
Years ago I drove a deuce to a remote site in Germany.....the only fuel I could find was at an air strip....110 Octane Aviation gas.

We have all seen the warnings on the data plate on deuces.....DO NOT USE AVIATION GRADE FUEL

There was an old crew chief at the base and I explained my delima (needed to get back to Frankfurt...no diesel fuel).

He went into the hanger and brought back three 10 gallon cans of 30 weight motor oil....we poured them in the tank of the deuce and he topped it off with AVGAS.

Instant diesel fuel......didn't have a bit of trouble back to the rear.

That is why the multi was designed......so an army could scrounge fuel if normal supplies got interrupted.

JasonS

The LDS465-2 easily made over 200 hp. but they took away the mulit-fuel capacity, probably to keep EGT's under control.
Continental demonstrated 250HP and 550ftlb and believed that 300HP was possible with full multifuel capabilities.

four-thirteen

no idea how to make a diesel run on gas
Cetane number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cetane number is the compression-ignition equivalent of the octane number for a spark ignition engine. It is a measure of how well the fuel will ignite as it is injected it the hot compressed air in the cylinder.

In general, the higher the octane number for a fuel, the lower the cetane number. AV gas is great for high compression spark ignition engines, but really bad at spontaneously burning in a compression ignition engine.

The only reason you really need a "multifuel" rating is to burn fuel with a low cetane number, where methanol, ethanol, AV gas and other fuel specifically manufactured to do exactly the opposite of what a compression ignition engine wants. Most diesels will burn copaiba tree sap tapped right out of the tree in brazil, no need for a high compression multifuel motor, just a fuel system that wont corrode when the water in the sap sits in it.

JasonS

Jason, do you know what they did to the engine to achieve these results ? Can It still be done on a LDT-465 1D engine ?
Continental only mentioned the capability in one of their publications; no indication of what it took to achieve those numbers. The highest horsepower currently offered for the Hercules D5000 (aka ~multifuel) is 228 HP as shown here: http://www.herculesengine.com/d4800.htm. Hercules may be able to give you some indication of a practical limit. You could also ask tractor pullers what it takes to make more horsepower and apply some of those techniques to your truck. They have forums similar to SS.

Heath_h49008

Last edited:

iatractor

I like the idea of an intercooler. Might be able to increase horsepower by 10%? The idea of a computer tweeking the fuel is a double edge sword. Yes it might make it more efficient in horsepower per btu, but on the other end of the spectrum you added a component that can become a reliability factor. My other thought would be to increase the stoke&bore while decreasing the rpm. For those who were around Minneapolis-Moline tractors, those engines were slow turning and put out a tremendous amount of torque. Personally I think it is had to take a good, reliable, and time tested engine and make it better.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. And considering what Hyundai has achieved so far (worlds biggest shipbuilder), that project sound's promising, at least...

G.

ATPTac

This thread is interesting... I'd be curious if any of the major large engine companies were to actually be contracted to develop a modern, reliable, and performing multifuel engine, what they could come up with. Engineering has come a LONG way since the original multifuel's were designed. I'm definitely interested to see what happens with the engine Hyundai is developing.

Heath_h49008

Given the priorities of modern engine manufacturers, the only "multifuel" capability they would be concerned with would be diesel/gasoline/CNG. But we might be able to use such flexibility to burn waste oils, or whatever cheap fuel source is available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks