• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modern Russian Army in the photos.

GoldComet6

Some of these Russian videos are top-ranked product; I mean they are FUN to watch:

- Cinematography, Soundtrack, Pacing

The whole works.

I'm not much for the ICBM product. The minute ONE of those puppies is launched, by anyone, anywhere; we're probably all of us saying good-bye. So what's the point!?
Yes - they really know how to promote their equipment.

I'm sure you're right on that one.

Another Ahab

More on the Su-34 Fullback! Hope you enjoy these as well.

This one is quite good. Nice air to air and cockpit scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEm3FQnTL7U
At the very end of that video there's shot of the forward wheel landing gear:

- And there's this funky-looking "louver" kind of hardware behind the wheel.

Does anybody know if there's a special function to that thing?

GoldComet6

At the very end of that video there's shot of the forward wheel landing gear:

- And there's this funky-looking "louver" kind of hardware behind the wheel.

Does anybody know if there's a special function to that thing?
The Russians design their aircraft so they can operate on rough air strips. I believe they add that to protect the fuselage from debris and prevent anything from entering the intakes.

It is a fairly common feature on their aircraft with side intakes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

You will probably like this one then. These are pretty amazing.

Kamaz 63986 MRAP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8itt05NDbM
You're right about that; i sure DID like it. Thanks for the post, GoldComet. That choral music at the beginning had me ready to sign Russian enlistment papers!

Three observations:

- the automatic transmission was marked in Roman alphabet, instead of Cyrillic (P R N D). That struck me as curious (I think that was in the video around 1:30 +/-)

- wonder if those auto-closing doors (driver and passenger) have a halting feature to obstructions? Hate to get a foot caught in those hydraulics. Like OUCH.

- not sure that's real swift to sit behind the ballistic glass while it's being tested (but maybe it's a Russian thing, and the guy was late for work or something, who knows?)

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uhmmmm, how much do you think that weighs???? I could see that gettin "MEGA" stuck and requiring a T-90 to get it out! LOL

Quick search? OVER 26Ton!! Holy Moly that is a heavy troop transport!

Last edited:

GoldComet6

Here is another series you might like, it shows Russian T-72 tanks being rebuilt. There are subtitles in English and the announcer is speaking in English so you can follow along.

You get to see the plant and follow along with two guys that work there - both are trying to get the one full time opening. There are scenes that you can skip and just see the inside the plant. You'll see inside the T-72s while the wiring is being installed or the main gun being removed or the guy that bead blasts the hull. These tanks are being rebuilt along the lines of our M1 Abrams and put back into service in the Russian Army. Although the T-90 is their best MBT now, the upgraded T-72s are still used in Russia and around the world. When or if the T-14 Armata MBT enters service the remaining T-72s may be scrapped or exported. You can ignore the any propaganda in these....

From the videos main site....the story line.
"Two factory workers, Kirill and Vladimir, compete for a job in the prestigious tank workshop of Uralvagonzavod, the largest tank producer in the world. They are both lucky enough to be offered work placements there, although only one permanent place is up for grabs. Kirill is a novice and is relying on beginner’s luck to see him through. Vladimir, on the other hand, has been at the factory for three years and is hoping that his experience will count in his favour. A promotion would be especially important for him as his wife is expecting their first baby, and a move to the tank workshop would mean they could afford to buy their own home. Rooting for Kirill is his girlfriend Alena and Lera, her daughter from a previous relationship. But who will win through in the end?

While Kirill and Vladimir’s careers are just taking off, it may be the end of the line for one veteran tank, which arrives at the factory with the name ‘Vasya’ painted on its turret. This T-72 battle tank is sent to Uralvagonzavod to be repaired, together with a message from its regiment pleading for the only tank in their regiment which has been in combat to be given a new lease of life. However, it remains to be seen whether the damage to ‘Vasya’ can really be repaired… "

Here are the episodes I have found, so if I find the others I'll post them to.

Tanks Born in Russia - episode 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2yy-yRVuSU

Tanks Born in Russia - episode 2

See post below....

Tanks born in Russia - Episode 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erGWrPYFTYE

Tanks Born in Russia episode 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft1f2MXkCDk

Last edited:

GoldComet6

Here is episode 2 - it doesn't want to show up above.

Here you see them pull out the 125mm smooth bore cannon and the shell rack is shown. Hadn't see that part before...pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsqIG1CvQg

Here is episode 11... They aren't in order as best as I can find so far.

The main point is getting to see a glimpse of the T-72 rebuilding process and not of the story line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akhrsLL6lkc

Last edited:

GoldComet6

I'm not a fan at all of television, but the show sure beats the Kardashians my daughters are always watching

Plus there's Hockey; what's not to like!! That was a beautiful rink, but cheesecake cheerleaders at a hockey game, that's kind of goofy.
Yeah some of it is a bit of a soap opera, so I just skip those parts.

Seeing the tank plant and how they are rebuilt is interesting. You get some close ups of inside & outside and get shown what it takes to rebuild them.

For example, watching how they paint them is very different - just paint them in the shop. No separate paint both or air filtration system at all. That would never get by the EPA!

Last edited:

Another Ahab

For example, watching how they paint them is very different - just paint them in the shop. No separate paint both or air filtration system at all. That would never get by the EPA!
That's part of the fun about the Russians, they ARE different.

I think once Trump gets elected that he's planning to annex Russia as the 51st State (he'll probably make Putin the running-mate for his second term):

- The bad news (for the Russians), is that all those tanks will have to be painted by EPA standards

- The good news (for us), is opera for everybody, AND the price of vodka will go way down in the States!

Last edited:

GoldComet6

I couldn't catch whether he said (17) or (70) when he talked about the spare rounds carried on-board. Did you catch that?
He isn't very clear is he, but based on what I heard he said:

22 rds in the carousel (for the auto-loader)
17 rds in storage compartments inside the turret
2 rds in the external storage compartments (probably in the turret bucket on the back)
41 in total

I checked my old Janes Main Battle Tanks book to verify the total number he mentions and it matches the number of rounds carried internally (39). Jane's says rounds are split out as follows: 12 APFSDS (armor piercing fin stabilized discarding sabot), 21 HE (high explosive) and 6 HEAT (high explosive - anti -tank).

For what it is worth, the number above (39) matches the wiki page that refers to a T-72 manual as it's source.

Last edited:

GoldComet6

This video is supposed to be Russian aircraft taking off and landing from their airbase in Syria, while conducting combat operations there.

I cannot verify that, but I am posting it because it is a good quality video that shows Su-24, Su-34, Su-30, Su-25. If you choose to watch fullscreen on youtube, here is the full title: Syria: Russian fighter jets target militant infrastructure in latest airstrikes.

From the video page.
A range of Russian military aircraft were seen taking off and landing at the Hmeymim Air Base in Latakia, Thursday, as the Russian Air Force continues its anti-terror operation against the so-called Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) and other militant organisations in Syria. Posted October 29, 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6WbAIUkcZg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks