• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modified lunette hitch/draw bar on M101

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, incredible the difference. Well, I guess look at the springs for one. The 101 has a 1” thick stack of springs. The 105 ... Its been a while since I have seen one, but I know they must out weight the springs on the 101 by 5 times.

My 101 shed about 65 lbs off the tongue today. Jeez! That whole contraption is heavy! I’m going with a simple receiver and channel for a pintle hitch. Looks like something out of Star Wars.

183269FD-D87A-444F-982A-E4277924086C.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, incredible the difference. Well, I guess look at the springs for one. The 101 has a 1” thick stack of springs. The 105 ... Its been a while since I have seen one, but I know they must out weight the springs on the 101 by 5 times.

My 101 shed about 65 lbs off the tongue today. Jeez! That whole contraption is heavy! I’m going with a simple receiver and channel for a pintle hitch. Looks like something out of Star Wars.

View attachment 724033
What are you doing for brakes?

Are you keeping those parts or??
I’m interested in them if you don’t need them.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your garage/barn/shipping crates must look like mine.

“When did I buy that?”

Its like Christmas every day!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I needed the trailer to haul materials to the ranch for a remodel on the house. So, I had to build a hitch since I removed the original hitch.

I removed it it because I like the trailers to run level. (Edit: And the brakes didn’t work) With 37’s on them, they don’t run anywhere close to level, even with the appropriate tires, it doesn’t run level, so I pulled the original hitch assembly and built my own.

I used a 2.5” receiver hitch, which is a little over 3”x3” wide to accommodate a 2.5” receiver hitch. It fits nicely between the two pieces of bare channel left after the hitch and nose gear has been removed. I cut a piece of 1/4” plate and welded it on top of the receiver, and to the channel.

Then cut a piece of 2.5x2.5 x .250 sq tube to go in the receiver. Cut a hole for the pin, then welded on the channel that the lunett bolts to. Shot it all with primer put some temporary lights on it and headed to Home Depot!

346375E0-0474-421E-BF6B-62E68C616E74.jpg.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loaded with material. These trailers are work horses! FYI, one reason I removed the factory surge brake system is because the brake lines were cut on this trailer. It appeared as though the problem could be with the drums themselves or it could be with the actual surge system on the tongue. The parking brakes were cut too. So, I just removed it. I converted an 1101 to electric brakes, I’m going to look into that option with the 101’s too.

475C8ED8-B5D0-41B1-93F4-B68F7F77CC75.jpg

Top view
36E9125C-6158-4C26-9500-F2802C7F60AC.jpg
Before paint
9774E509-BAF3-4F1C-A048-C8C9E38BED58.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CC6FA3D6-D291-4953-9BD4-DD8D12FAB49A.jpg

Looks like we bought from the same batch of trailers.
Same Unit

Amazing trailers for sure.
I love the surge brakes.
Restored brake systems on both of my M101A2’s.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha! That’s interesting. I’ll need to look at my others. I got all 4 out of RRAD. I painted one so I have no idea what unit unless I look at the paperwork and photos.

Beautiful calm 30 degree NW Texas spring morning. Turkeys gobbling. Coyotes howling. Work happening.

8F9BE009-C6F7-4F9D-8600-341A0B3E1580.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m still kicking myself for not buying more.

Both of mine were from same unit.
Both from RRAD

Mine didn’t even blink with 2 tons of gravel in it.
Workhorses for sure!

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I needed the trailer to haul materials to the ranch for a remodel on the house. So, I had to build a hitch since I removed the original hitch.

I removed it it because I like the trailers to run level. (Edit: And the brakes didn’t work) With 37’s on them, they don’t run anywhere close to level, even with the appropriate tires, it doesn’t run level, so I pulled the original hitch assembly and built my own.

I used a 2.5” receiver hitch, which is a little over 3”x3” wide to accommodate a 2.5” receiver hitch. It fits nicely between the two pieces of bare channel left after the hitch and nose gear has been removed. I cut a piece of 1/4” plate and welded it on top of the receiver, and to the channel.

Then cut a piece of 2.5x2.5 x .250 sq tube to go in the receiver. Cut a hole for the pin, then welded on the channel that the lunett bolts to. Shot it all with primer put some temporary lights on it and headed to Home Depot!

View attachment 724174.
Doesn't the lunette ring want to fold up or down while braking with a load?

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, it has two bolts that hold it sturdy inside the channel. They are rated for 12,000 lbs. pulling and a 1200 lb tongue weight. similar models are rated for up to 30k lbs I believe. I’d have to double check that 30k number but I think it’s accurate.

Is that the area of concern? Both the pintle and Lunete are very sturdy systems.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a very similar change on my 1101. Took two 1/4” plates, about 12” wide I believe and bolted them through the existing holes and using the original bolts to secure them, then welded the plates to a 2.5” (3”+ in width) receiver hitch. To the bottom of the tongue.

I have not yet yet removed the working 1101 brake reservoir from the top of the trailer tongue yet. All of the parts worked, I wanted one with electric brakes, which I now have and one with surge. Etrailer sells the hubs to convert to electric brakes, so I made the plunge.

I wanted it to tow level. And it wasn’t even close. I considered a few alterations with the existing surge system that would work, but it was more than wanted to attempt right now. This system drops the lunete low enough that it will pull the 1101 level, which makes the trailer look a lot better than before.

You can only lift your pintle up so high (safely) before it hits your tailgate. This drops it well below the level of a stock 1101 lunette ring. Plus, you can pull it and take it with you and lock out the receiver and make it “more” theft proof.

8886A7A5-78F8-4D77-BF34-58AF69E9C079.jpg

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, I replaced the stock caster, which had lost a lot of its bearings. It was bolted to the bottom of a flat foot. I’m not sure if this is normal for an 1101?? I put it in the chop saw and cut the foot off, and ordered a caster from etrailer that went over the tube. Just drill a hole in the tube, 1” or so from the bottom for the pin to go in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks