• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

modifying a M116a3

maxtor

Has anyone removed the original bed and replaced it with something like a m1101 bed? Even a pickup bed would be useful on the m116a3 if it would fit.

John Galt

Good luck getting an 1101/2 tub of the frame :)

Even if you did, the tub is a foot shorter than the 101 frame.

I have been looking at 116a3 chassis for a while and would really like to put a service bed on it.

Landbarger

maxtor - A pickup bed would be an oddity, for sure. Do you have an M116A3 chassis that you're looking to put to use or do you just not like the flat bed + fenders that come on the M116A3 originally?

Seems like it might be easiest to build your own sidewalls for it if what you want to do is increase its utility. If you're going for looks instead of utility it might be cheaper to trade up to an M1101/2. Of course, as a fellow SS member, I suggest you just buy one of each...

maxtor

Thanks for the responses. I have two m116a3's and one m1101. One of the m116a3's I welded stake pockets on it and built a box four foot by eight foot, and use it for hauling firewood, and it works great. The other one, I modified the bed so that the wheel wells are narrowed and shortened, and put 28 inch tires on it. My original intent was to put containers strapped down, that would hold fuel, water, camping gear, etc. to pull behind our Jeep. I am now thinking that a box of some type would be better. Something along the lines of a pickup bed with a camper shell on it. To keep the dust and rain out, if we decided to go camping, and use it to sleep in.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the responses. I have two m116a3's and one m1101. One of the m116a3's I welded stake pockets on it and built a box four foot by eight foot, and use it for hauling firewood, and it works great. The other one, I modified the bed so that the wheel wells are narrowed and shortened, and put 28 inch tires on it. My original intent was to put containers strapped down, that would hold fuel, water, camping gear, etc. to pull behind our Jeep. I am now thinking that a box of some type would be better. Something along the lines of a pickup bed with a camper shell on it. To keep the dust and rain out, if we decided to go camping, and use it to sleep in.
Let me try to brave the rain in the AM and get pics of my project. Basically it's an M116A3 and a steel topper. I plan to bridge the distance between the steel topper and the trailer bed with lumber. Should be an interesting and low buck project.