• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

modifying the transfercase shifter

jesusgatos

Keeping all the transfer case linkage well lubed helps make the shifting smoother.

If I bob my spare deuce I am going to experiment with using an electric solinoid to go from LO to High.....mabe make it as smooth as shifting a big rig.
WM, Why not go with an air cylinder? That way you could add a high/low switch on the stick just like the big rigs. Should be as simple as attaching a air cylinder directly to the shift rod and running air lines to your switch on the shifter.

:idea: Now you've got me to thinking. I may try this mod on my truck. I already have an air shifter for my dump control.
Better have a 220 volt cause it's going to need a lot of ass.
DOH!!!! Air is prob the way to go.
I hate to put this question here since it should probably go in the modification side but has anyone that is basically a full-time or mostly full-time heavy deuce driver done a modification to the transfer case lever to make it more easily reached for shifting in the suggested method here in this thread (and -10 TM)?
The design of the shift lever for the transfer case is not for full time shifting because it is not lubricated and the the bolts simply slide through the lever. There are no lubrication points or bushings in these areas which translates to low use items.
This shift lever alteration would require a modification to the bench seat or removal and installation of another driver's seat to make room for an extention handle or reshaping.
Side note; Due to a severly floppy transfer case shift lever on my truck, I did drill mine out about .020 and press in bronze bushings. I next installed close tolerance, shouldered bolts with the appropriate nuts.
No more "floppy" lever but I digress and detract from this thread.
Perhaps e-mail me your answers.
Thanks,
jimm1009 here on s.s. e-mail; jimm1009@yahoo.com
Let's just start a new thread instead, so we can continue this discussion where everyone can contribute and learn.

tm america

hmm double air shift transfer case sounds good . The only thing i think could be a problem is if somehow you hit the switch at highway speeds on accident . this could lead to big issues .but other than that i really like the idea. You could also build a bell crank next to the trans shifter then run the transfer case shifter up right next to it . that would make it easier to shift and still be able to put it in neutral .

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A air shifter would be super simple. I'd do it myself but I have too many irons in the fire at the moment.

All you need is to pick up a big truck high/low air shifter at any NAPA. See what the range of movement is in the t-case shift rod from high to low. Go on ebay and buy and air cylinder about a 1.5" dia and that has enough travel (air cylinders can be had new super cheap on ebay). Mount the air shifter on the stick and fab brackets to attach the cylinder to the t-case shift rod. Run air lines and you should be ready to go.

The only down side to this setup is you will loose neutral in the t-case but that shouldn't be a problem unless you are towing the truck. If you need neutral (like I do running a t-case PTO) you can get self centering cylinders and you'd also need a different shifter on the stick. When I get time I'm going to fab one up.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Speeking of modifieing , I am asuming the fire dept did this but some one cut a hole in the floor and added another shifter to the t case i am asuming it is to engage and disengage the t case am i correct?

Attachments

jesusgatos

A air shifter would be super simple. I'd do it myself but I have too many irons in the fire at the moment.

All you need is to pick up a big truck high/low air shifter at any NAPA. See what the range of movement is in the t-case shift rod from high to low. Go on ebay and buy and air cylinder about a 1.5" dia and that has enough travel (air cylinders can be had new super cheap on ebay). Mount the air shifter on the stick and fab brackets to attach the cylinder to the t-case shift rod. Run air lines and you should be ready to go.

The only down side to this setup is you will loose neutral in the t-case but that shouldn't be a problem unless you are towing the truck. If you need neutral (like I do running a t-case PTO) you can get self centering cylinders and you'd also need a different shifter on the stick. When I get time I'm going to fab one up.
I'm going to do it. I've got a T-case PTO too, so I'll need a 3-position switch. If you guys can help me select the best parts to use, I can design the brackets to mount everything. I think I'd like to mount the switch on the shifter. Would the switches you're talking about work well mounted like that?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pic one is a air switch to use if you just want high and low (no neutral), Fuller PN A-3546. It mounts on the trans shifter stick.

Pic two is a switch that may work if you need the neutral position, Fuller PN A-4487. I say may because it is three position but I'm unsure of what position activates which ports. Do a google search for these numbers or for Fuller transmission valves and it should yield lots of results. What you are looking for is one position sends pressure to one line, the middle position should exhaust all lines going to the air cylinder (with a spring centered cylinder this will give you neutral), and the third position should send pressure to the other line going to the cylinder.

Check out Pneumatic Valves and Pneumatic Actuators - Air Valves and Systems for Industrial Automation by Numatics for cylinder options. You need a spring centered cylinder if you want a neutral position.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks