• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mods: photo dropouts..?

tamangel

Mods, I was searching for old threads on fire trucks on the forums and noticed that the older posts seemed not to include their photo attachments anymore. Is there a length of time photos w/in posts stay up for viewing and then drop off the server? The posts themselves (narrative) seem to remain but photos eventually disappear...

Mike

mangus580

I suspect you are looking at posts that predate the Great Crash of 2005..... Anything prior to September 1, 2005 will not have any photos attached, unless the author went back and reuploaded it.

tamangel

Do you guys regularly(automatic program) back the all the data in the forums up? Would hate to lose alot of info due to another unforseen crash..

Mike

mangus580

RAW said:
Why don't you allow IMG tags for posting pics?
Couple reasons (and this is mentioned someplace I think)

1. People cant keep their images in a reasonable size

2. They usually load too slow

3. Some people visit from places that block the common Photo sites, and this encourages posters to upload their own

4. If the 'linked' site goes down, there is now a 'dead' spot in the post.... This keeps images alive forever

Make sense?

RAW

mangus580 said:
Make sense?
I figured it was something like that.
It does make sense.

I'm just so used to linking to my Smugmug galleries.
It's very convenient (cuz I upload ALL of my pics there and they resize them) for me.

Ah, well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks