• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mod's to my M1028

This thread is all about mods Ive done to my M1028 over the years and currently and hopefully a accurate timeline of those mods from memory...

Bought the truck in about 1995
Truck came with engine and transmission / NP208 in the bed a marine corp basketcase I suppose..
With my 0.0 experience with the 6.2 engine I sold off the 6.2 to a local migrant farm worker that wanted to power a water pump, Had the T400 rebuilt, Knew the np208 was a pos so looked for a NP205 Bought one from a guy that picked up two spares at the sierra DRMO auctioneer was a crackup Ill check the form97 for his name it escapes me at the moment..

Bought a rebuilt 454. w 4bolt main 7/16 rods Forged pistons etc stuffed all of the above into the M1028 and then to the auto electric shop in sparks.

Pulled the rear bumper and installed a renuel rear bent plate bumper and attached a class 3 receiver hitch behind that.

Fast forward to 2003 and I perfected a 14 bolt rear differental disc brake conversion. using all 1 ton dana 60 dually rotors caliper brackets and a spacer I designed.

A while after that I mounted a direct mount muncie hyd pump on a chelsea PTO for the NP205 and mfg a adapter to mount a charlynn hyd motor to a Braden 12K LB worm gear winch on the mill and lathe.

most recently Im gathering parts for a transmission and tranfer case swap from the T400 / Figure 8 pattern NP205 to a NV4500 / Round style 32 splined (all 3 shafts) NP205
Also swapping the automatic trans steering column for a manual steering column and the automatic brake pedal and frame came out on goes a pedals setup from a 1985 Chevy with a SM465 manual transmission..( btw to do this a spacer is needed when a pedal is taken from a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck as the pin is smaller that connects to the eye on the hydroboost pushrod) I made the spacer out of stainless..

At the moment Im wating for a part to come in that will allow me to fit a NP200 parking brake to my brand new 1993 Dodge NP205 transfer case and bought a pair of twin stick shift shafts and am in process of installing them.

Ive also made several modifications to the parts Ive purchased from Advanced Adapters.

Pics to follow but I will say posting IMG links from my photobucket album would be much easier as my fast speed is already used up for the month and I cant use the photo utility associated with this forum. Ive had the same album for more than 10 years and unless they go away my album aint gonna leave either..

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks