• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mog update...STEEL?

Mogger

so steel how is your mog doing???? i am almost done with the mog i am keeping and about to sell my other one. part of me will be glad to see it go. know anyone that ones one??? all it needs is it brakes cleaned.

hom many miles do you have on your mog?? i have one with 32k and one with 7k.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Mogger,
I have been working on my 404 every evening after work. It's the only thing that keeps me sane. I am working on the mounts that will hold my 416 pritsche bed on my 404 ex-funkwagen truck. When the bed is in final position, the only mount that lines up is the rear x-member. The front is about 7" behind mine and the middle is about 1" behind and 1" inboard. I made new mounts for the front using the original frame bracket and some 3/8 x 4" flat bar. I welded up an L-shaped bracket for each side. One end bolts to the old frame mount, the other uses the bolts for the batt box on one side and the gas tank on the other. I'll post some photos soon so you can see what I am blathering about. I am working on the middle mounts now. They have been a lot more tricky. I have had to cut them way down and weld some new mouting tabs to the bottom. I almost have the left one done. Just needs final welds and a hole drilled. Hopefully I'll get it done tonight along with the right one. As soon as the bed is solid, I'll go about giving it a coat of POR-15 and replacing the plywood. A couple more months and she'll be ready for anything. The running gear is in great shape. Mostly just a cosmetic resto. Mine has about 16k on it. From the rebuild tags it looks like it was redone in 1983. Don't know if they reset the odo when they do that.

I don't know anyone in the LA area that wants a Mog. Have you put it on the Unimog Exchange. That works well for a lot of folks.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I made a run to a little town West of Charlotte, NC this past weekend. I met a great guy named Richard Greene who has a 404 Rock Mog. He sold me a pair of used fenders from his 404 so I can replace the crunched one on mine and have a spare left one. He's a heckofa guy with a cool Mog. Hopefully he'll join up and post some pics of his Mog. I'll post a few pics of my adventure in the Mog Gallery this week. I hope to have the bed completely mounted this weekend. Progress!!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Another progress update for you guys. I have been working a lot recently getting the Mog ready for the Rally. Here is what I have accomplished recently:

• *finished bed mounts *rebuilt fuel pump *replaced valve cover breather hose *got hazzard lights working *removed all cooling system hoses for replacement *almost have radiator out for refurb

More work will be done tonight, but I have at least 4 or 5 whole days worth of projects to get done before the 15th of July. Wish me luck. [:)]

Elwenil

Chris, how's it running now? I know when we dropped it off we had a little trouble getting her fired back up. Did it just need a little tinkering, or was it just unfamiliarity with the 'Mog, or a little of both? Just curious...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Lanty, it's running great now. It was just some issues with the carb and fuel pump. Now that I have them rebuilt she's purring like a kitten. I got the radiator out last night and took it to the shop this AM to have a mount brazed and have it dipped. The lower 1/4 or the fins were plugged with mud and sand so I'm sure it will run cooler afterwards. Also, some of the lower hoses were bulging and cut so out they came. New ones will go in tonight. Good thing it is a low pressure system or one of the bad ones may have ruptured by now. Only left to do to the engine is tune the carb and adjust the valves. I will tackle the brake line, shoe adjustment, and bleeding next. Then, I have to redo the bed plywood. That's going to cost me over $250 in treated plywood alone!!! Fun truck though. Can't wait to put her thru her paces in Haspin.

Elwenil

Yeah, my cousin fell in love with GR's Volvo when we were at his place to pick up the 'Mog. That thing has unreal ground clearance and the Michelins look right at home on it. I'd kill to have one, but I'll settle for a nice Deuce when I find one. Nice to have you here, GR.

TiredIronGRB

Thanks, there are some things on the dash I would like to know what it means. Most of the still shots are here at my farm.

We just had a big 4th party and fireworks, we had over 5000 people here it was crazy. 25 minutes of extreme fireworks.

George

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi George,
I'll put a Volvo forum up for you.

There are lots of new Mog pics HERE

I need to upload a bunch more soon. I have been too busy getting it ready for Haspin to put them online.

I finished up the cooling system rehab this weekend, rebuilt/tuned the carb, checked oil levels in all portals and diffs, and took it for a test run. This weekend coming I'll be tearing out and replacing the plywood bed floor so I can mount all of the boxes under the bed again that hold important stuff like tire chains, tail-lights, extra fuel, fire extenguisher, etc...

The engine is purring nicely. Just needs the valves adjusted and the thermo spring replaced on the heat stack.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Holy cow, sweet trailer GRB!! I need one of those! I have actually been thinking about a goose-neck trailer with a hidden hitch in my Dodge. What size is yours George? Also, you mean April of 2006 right?

1ton

If you are going to be using the trailer much i would go with the gooseneck. They distrubute the weight over your axle so you don't sag so much. [thumbzup] Also i have problems with bumperpulls lifting the tow rig into the air while unloading. I have seen the dmax with the bottom of the tire 18in off the ground while unloading a bobcat (JD250).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks