• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Momentary switch question

Maggie86M1008

Hey guys - I just bought a 86 M1008 cucv. It has a glow plug manual momentary switch installed. How long should I hold it to heat the glow plugs and how long do I wait to push it again if I need to use it more than once? Thanks Maggie

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard Maggie, The first thing I would do is test all of the glow plugs. If they are not all working then you can end up getting a cascade effect and burning them all out. Everything is probably allright, but it is simple enough to do and well worth it for peace of mind. Just take your ohm meter and after removing the lead from the plug, measure from the tab to the block. Check in the CUCV stickies for the correct value for your glow plugs. Don't do what I did the first time and forget to put the lead back on the glow plug. You can probably find the time to push the button in the stickies if no one responds soon to your question.

MarcusOReallyus

Welcome, Maggie. :beer:

I just checked. It's not in the stickies or the Wiki. :(

We'll just have to hope that someone who uses the manual setup chimes in here. I seem to remember 10 seconds on, but don't quote me on that. Meanwhile, I like firefox's advice on checking the GPs. Can't hurt to make sure they are all good.

Do you know if you have a bypassed resistor?

Maggie86M1008

I've been reading on this forum about different conversions and I read about bypassing the resistor and pulling off the 12 volt busbar to the glow plug solenoid. Had my dad help me this morning and it appears that has been done. I will have my dad help me check the glow plugs to see if they're all ok. The car dealer that i got the truck from didn't know how long to hold the manual momentary glow plug switch. Hopefully someone on here can help me with that. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys - I really appreciate it.

Maggie86M1008

Thank you very much for all the info - I reviewed the articles and saw that you recommend 12 seconds. Now if I hold for 12 seconds, start my truck and it dies- do I need to wait a certain interval before pressing the switch again and do I hold for another 12 seconds?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, and only if needed.

dependable

You don't have to wait between tries if your batteries are in the condition they should be in. Also, 12 seconds is on the short side if it is very cold out.

If it is much below 20F, and you do not have a block heater, a couple of tries is normal. The main point being not to crank the starter too long. Where you are, if you don't have a block heater, I'd recommend one.

Maggie86M1008

Thanks again everyone!! I'm putting in a block heater and I want to permanently mount a 12 volt tinder so I can plug them in when needed. Not sure yet on how to do the 12 volt tinder on 2 batteries - but I have that question on another thread.

MarcusOReallyus

Thanks again everyone!! I'm putting in a block heater and I want to permanently mount a 12 volt tinder so I can plug them in when needed. Not sure yet on how to do the 12 volt tinder on 2 batteries - but I have that question on another thread.

One on each battery, straight to the battery terminals. Just as if you are connecting it to an ordinary truck. Nothing fancy. No cross connections. No connections to ground. Stick to the battery terminals. No problem.

I keep a couple on my truck when it's sitting for a while. I haven't gotten around to making permanent connections yet, so they are attached with clamps directly to the battery terminals. Both BatteryMinders plugged into the same power strip. Works fine.

:beer:

*Yes, electrical gurus, I know there are other ways, but this is straightforward and easy to understand. It's bulletproof, even without a lot of electrical knowledge.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Others have used a 24v Charger/Maintainer and plugged into the NATO slave port.
It’s already wired and ready to go.

8madjack

Others have used a 24v Charger/Maintainer and plugged into the NATO slave port.
It’s already wired and ready to go.
Yup, this is how I do it. Got a noco genius charger and found a slave plug off of ebay. Spliced the nato plug into the extra wiring harness that comes with the charger . My 5 ton sits a lot, But the batteries are good and it always starts right up using this set up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks