• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More CTIS questions...

spankybear

I am wondering if there is anybody with a setup/software to connect to the main unit (box) here in Washington. I would like to try and see if there is a way to "reset" the 5 solid light issue. I have an idea that a fault code is set in memory and stopping the unit for working. I am also thinking that if this fault code is "reset" these units will work again. But I do not know and I want to try. I can not believe all these units are toast.

If there is nobody in Washington state is there a way for me to get the software and set up myself. I think it would be awesome if there was a way to fix these units.

coachgeo

I am wondering if there is anybody with a setup/software to connect to the main unit (box) here in Washington. I would like to try and see if there is a way to "reset" the 5 solid light issue. I have an idea that a fault code is set in memory and stopping the unit for working. I am also thinking that if this fault code is "reset" these units will work again. But I do not know and I want to try. I can not believe all these units are toast.

If there is nobody in Washington state is there a way for me to get the software and set up myself. I think it would be awesome if there was a way to fix these units.
get the numbers off the stickers on it; and report back... then someone in here who has the software can even tell you if it is of the type that is even programmable. that way you can make sure your not barking up a wrong tree as soon as possible. Is your truck an A1 or A0?

spankybear

I have an A0 truck so no diagnostics connector (well only for the WTECII) There is a way to fab up a "y" cable to be able to plug in the CTIS into a computer. I started looking at this about 2 years ago but something more shinny came along and I forgot most of what I was doing back then. I believe I have a box that can be "programed" but I'll have to get the number when I get a chance.

As for the "Y" cable I started to get the parts to make one.

Also the boxes can have 9 different variables of vehicles depending how the pins are configured. I think that the ones used on the M939 (or what ever it is) can also be used on the LMTV. I believe it's just the programing and pin configuration. I want to play with these and see.

spankybear

If my thinking is correct and the fact there can be 9 configurations... how cool would it be to have a switch to change programs... People with high speed gears could possibly have the stock program and a highway program. But I need some tool to test my theory to see of this would work or not. Along with fixing some dead units... I would think this would be very cool and useful.

ETA: Or I have no clue and just barking up the wrong tree... but I haven't convinced myself I am at the wrong tree yet.

Ronmar

The only people I can think of with that capability In the NW are the folks at Grigsby Trucking down near Bend OR...

I am thinking that 5solids is probably more a hardware fault. Something has to turn those 5 lights on And I am thinking the software when initially powered on runs some form of BITE Or POST routine and talks to all its parts. The lights may default to all on untill the self Check completes the process and turns the lights off. There might be some that a software reflash might get working again, but I am thinking there are many which will not... You may be able to alter parameters and configure the units With the correct software and interface, but a whole software reflash/reset might be something only the manufacturer can accomplish. I have not heard of anyone being able to do that...

Good Luck, I think I will stick with my user controlled version:)

In2Fords

I'm not really familiar with the system but it just seems as if a relay board, like a ip i/o board could do it then a simple IFTTT program could handle it?
I saw the arduino thread and that seems interesting but with a i/o board it could be set up with Bluetooth, something like a megasquirt system?

Ronmar

I'm not really familiar with the system but it just seems as if a relay board, like a ip i/o board could do it then a simple IFTTT program could handle it?
I saw the arduino thread and that seems interesting but with a i/o board it could be set up with Bluetooth, something like a megasquirt system?
Yea, there are lots of ways to fry this fish...

spankybear

I can program ctis. You can send it to me I can see what it does. Usually 5 lights is over voltage bricked from dead batts jump starting. That kills wtec3 tcms also. Which I can program too.
I think that this is a power fault. But I do not think my in fried. I could be wrong but if the engineers did their jobs the unit should take some abuse on the power side. I would think this would be common place on a automotive application.

The diagnostic manual says not to disconnect the connector with the ignition on or it could set a power fault. It, however don't sat anything about the 5 solid light issue (well I didn't see it if its in the manual) I find this strange as it seems to be a common issue.

Have you ever hooked up a CTIS ECU to the computer with 5 lights? If the thing will not talk to the computer then this is all moot. I have some things I would like to try but need the test hardware. If nothing else I will take you up on your offer.

I have found the software I just need to find the cable/interface and finish making my "Y" cable.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
First gen controllers do not have the capability of communication. There is a second gen green one and the black ones are usually 3rd gen. I use an a1 truck to program them I can plug into the trucks diagnostic port to do it. Ones with 5 solid lights are usually fried from jump starting like I explained above. I have only had a few like that. I think they were earlier controllers to begin with so they may not have been able to comm anyways. But I have not been able to get one with the 5 solid lights to do anything. The controllers have stored faults all the time I can clear them. The program does have a firmware function but I spoke with a Dana engineer he said there are no firmware updates or upgrades. They would only change firmware when fitting controllers to a different than intended vehicle.

spankybear

First gen controllers do not have the capability of communication. There is a second gen green one and the black ones are usually 3rd gen. I use an a1 truck to program them I can plug into the trucks diagnostic port to do it. Ones with 5 solid lights are usually fried from jump starting like I explained above. I have only had a few like that. I think they were earlier controllers to begin with so they may not have been able to comm anyways. But I have not been able to get one with the 5 solid lights to do anything. The controllers have stored faults all the time I can clear them. The program does have a firmware function but I spoke with a Dana engineer he said there are no firmware updates or upgrades. They would only change firmware when fitting controllers to a different than intended vehicle.
Do you know the number off the older controller?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think most of the green ones have the same part number. I have not found a way to differentiate between first and second gen other than plugging in and seeing if they communicate

spankybear

Guess you could look at the date code. I believe that the 5 digit code if first 2 digits are year and they last 3 are the days in the year.

AllenF

So... not to derail this very interesting thread but... if the earlier units are toast due to jump starting the truck/ over voltage issues, would it not be possible to protect it with a fuse some how? Seems a no brainer to me.

Also that Dana/Spicer sent them out vulnerable early on does not surprise me either, as to them Uncle Sam has deep pockets and is more than willing to pick up the tab.aua

Ronmar

So... not to derail this very interesting thread but... if the earlier units are toast due to jump starting the truck/ over voltage issues, would it not be possible to protect it with a fuse some how? Seems a no brainer to me.

Also that Dana/Spicer sent them out vulnerable early on does not surprise me either, as to them Uncle Sam has deep pockets and is more than willing to pick up the tab.aua
Fuses protect from over current, not over voltage. It would require a voltage limiting circuit that is fast enough to limit the voltage before damage is done...

coachgeo

Fuses protect from over current, not over voltage. It would require a voltage limiting circuit that is fast enough to limit the voltage before damage is done...
so it sounds like to protect your ctis controller rather it be OEM or those building electrically powered (Adrino for example) ctis controller replacements; you should power it only after engine starts. Example use the circuit from oil pressure switch on engine that also excites the alternator... orr something similar.

which opens up the question.... which wire in the ctis loom would you run to a solenoid or??? to protect your OEM ctis

Ronmar

so it sounds like to protect your ctis controller rather it be OEM or those building electrically powered (Adrino for example) ctis controller replacements; you should power it only after engine starts. Example use the circuit from oil pressure switch on engine that also excites the alternator... orr something similar.

which opens up the question.... which wire in the ctis loom would you run to a solenoid or??? to protect your OEM ctis
H and M on the A0 M1078 or M1079. I believe other models supply different power at different pins which I think may be used to tell the controller what vehicle it is Installed in and may alter its operation for that vehicle type...
4A044086-C839-4402-94FF-F2B895BB0A64.jpeg4A044086-C839-4402-94FF-F2B895BB0A64.jpeg the vehicle it is installed in...

A simple mod might be to shift the CTIS power to the output of K11 which feeds alternator excitation to bring the alt online after oil pressure is achieved...

Plasa

F and H are 24V and ground pins on the M1078 A0 plug...
R, B and C the pins that go to the PCU / solenoids...
J.b anc c the pressure transmitter on the PCU
T and L the wet tank pressure sensor.

Christian

spankybear

H and M on the A0 M1078 or M1079. I believe other models supply different power at different pins which I think may be used to tell the controller what vehicle it is Installed in and may alter its operation for that vehicle type...
View attachment 807100View attachment 807100 the vehicle it is installed in...

A simple mod might be to shift the CTIS power to the output of K11 which feeds alternator excitation to bring the alt online after oil pressure is achieved...
H and F are the power in. M sets the configuration of the ECU. The ECU has the ability to have 9 different configurations.

Does anyone have the schematic of the later trucks?

spankybear

I got all of the connectors to start to make the programing cord adapter harness thingy . Technical term... Now just need to do the wiring

20200815145927_IMG_2607.JPG20200815145925_IMG_2606.JPG20200821181505_IMG_2626.JPG20200821181447_IMG_2625.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks