• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MORE CUCV Alternator Questions

AZDeuce

Now before you beat me up for adding yet another alternator thread, be advised I spent over 7 hours searching the arcivies, and I learned a LOT!!

I have always feared electric systems as I don't know an amp from a ohm, or a volt. However since I was able to download the alternator rebuild manual, and read some of the excellent posts on this topic, Barrmans especially, while I still don't know an amp from a volt. I'm quite sure now that I can rebuild my alternator.

But I still have some questions.

I see several different 27-SI rebuild kits, some say for 80-100 AMPS another one just said 100AMPS

So my question is does it matter which one?

Also as to the isolated ground, I read where that is nothing more than some kind of fiber washer. Can these be reused?

If not where can I obtain new/replaceent ones?

I do not currently have an multi-meter, but that will be my next acquisition. Having read Barrmans post, I might be able to fix my alternator with just a DIODE TRIO replacement.

However my thought is that since I got the alternator tore down, I might as well rebuild/replace everything while I have it open.

Then to take that one step further, I might as well rebuild the other one, as that way I know I have two new alternators. At least tht's my current plan.

So does my plan sound reasonable?

Which rebuild kit do I need?

And what about the isolating washers?

THANKS!

JAsher45

the fiber wahers can be found at any chain hardware store (lowes home Depot) be in the fastner section in the speciality bins. i will check some part# for thew rest and see what i come up with.[thumbzup]

JAsher45

all parts needed you can get off rockauto.com.... i took the part numbers from the TM and looked for them on there and they pop up most of them are good AC Delco numbers

Barrman

The fiber washer is all that makes the military 27Si alternator isolated ground. There is also the extra ground lug on the back of the military alternators. That make sense? If you are starting with a known isolated ground alternator, just put everything back in the way you took it apart.

The big silver finned thing inside the alternator is called the rectifier. That is what sets the amp rating. Get the for sure 100 amp one, replace all the inerds of your currently bad one. Then test each part removed to see which single piece you need to buy that will make all your old parts a rebuild kit all over again.

If your alternator has not been apart in a long time, go ahead and put the bearings in that come with the kit. If they have less than 50K miles on them, don't worry yourself about replacing it. Same with the brushes. If they are have more than half left compared to the new set in the kit. You can leave them in and expect many years of use.

This is the kit I bought:

https://www.aspwholesale.com/repair-kit-dr-27si.html

It was $47 and change to my door in about 3 days.

Somebody just posted this source the last day or so:
http://store.alternatorparts.com/delco-remy-type-27si-series-alternator-repair-kit.aspx
No exactly the same, but almost half price. Missing the rectifier and composit brush unit, but if you just want to freshen one up, it will probably work. 1/2 price and about half the parts int he kit. I have not used this kit.

Things more clear or muddy now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Crash_AF

Sounds like a good plan... Let me give you a simplistic little lesson on electricity that will help you with the amps/volts/ohms thing:

Think of electricity as water, and your battery as a reservoir of water.
Voltage is the equivalent of pressure
Amperage is the equivalent of rate of flow
Ohms are the resistance to flow

So if you're dealing with water, the water is coming out of the reservoir at 12PSI and is flowing 5 Gallons Per Minute(GPM)
In electrical terms, the circuit would be 12 Volts and drawing 5 Amps.
In an electrical circuit, these are all related... if you increase the voltage, you decrease the amperage required to do the same work and vice versa.

So as an example, let's say a starter motor draws 50 Amps to crank a 12V truck. Now in our CUCVs, everything else the same, our 24V starter motor draws 25 Amps.

Thus ends our simple lesson in electricity... Did that help?

Later,
Joe

AZDeuce

Thanks for the responses. To all of you YES.....that helped! I wondered about reusing the fiber washers so that's ok if they're not damaged....cool, I'm saving money already!

And now I know 100 amps, and which kit to buy.

As to the electricity vrs water analogy that was perfect as I work for a major city water dept, I got it now.

After downloading the Delco manual, I'm pretty sure even I can rebuild an alternator, so I'm going to take a stab at it myself, instead of paying good money to have somebody else do what I should be able to do myself.

And I liked the hint to save and check the old parts so I can have a spare rebuild kit sitting on the shelf.....GOOD idea!

Somday maybe I'll share my story about my bout with cancer, but the long story short is God healed me 100%, and I learned life is short as well as fragile, and NOW I enjoy these little challenges in life, and want to try to learn and fix things myself, as opposed to just throwing money at them, and letting other people take care of me.

These days I enjoy "manning up!"

THANKS!

rnd-motorsports

as stated the kit from spring hill auto is the cheapest you will find I buy from them alot very nice peaple to deal with and ship fast the rectifyer and diod treo and regulater are the main fail parts the rest bearings and such are wear out parts look at it as you take it apart you will do great they are fairly easy!!!! the only thing the shops do dif is cleaning and they reuse most of the old parts just clean then to look new.

TedO

WHAT "tool" do people use to hold the brushes in the retracted position while putting both halves of the alternator back together? I am thnking to stick a thin wire through the holes.

MarcusOReallyus

A paper clip works for me.

Yes....

I think they already come pinned in the brush holder.

And yes. If you lose one, it's good to know a paperclip works just fine.

A good place to get the rebuild kits for our alternators is ASPWholesale. They are a sponsor here. They also sell a hardware kit that has all the little doohickeys that like to get lost.

Good folks to deal with. Good prices.

One of our members here is also selling the parts and kits, but I don't remember who it is. I think he beats ASP's price by a bit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks