• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More electric problems.

Matt Kahle

Okay I started working on the m1009 recently. I have quite a few electrical problems especially with the charging system again. For now I'm going to ask about this ground wire I found on the terminal boards. From what I have seen on the alternator wire diagram it's a "suppressor". I was cleaning the wire ends on the terminals and I found the crossing wire from pos to neg that was melted. I wanted to just make a new one, but it seems under all the electrical tape I found some orange little tap. My thoughts were maybe its a good idea I ask before replacing it with something that won't work. So could some one tell me what this "suppressor" is?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do not need it, leave it off(do not replace it with anything).

A suppressor is an electronic noise controlling device used when you have sensitive electronic communications equipment(on or near the vehicle).

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's simply a capacitor.(filter)

As installed, it's a load(same as a lightbulb), and must have one side connected to ground to function.

Last edited:

Matt Kahle

I see okay. Here's another question about the gen lights. What makes them come on during start then after your started up they shut off? I use to have them both working a few years ago, but now gen two doesn't even light up and gen one stays lite the whole time the truck is running.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are controlled by the voltage regulator(internal part of the alternator).

Have you rebuilt your alternators ever?

MarcusOReallyus

What was it for? It doesn't make any sense to me why they would ground the positive board.
It's not grounded. A capacitor blocks direct current, but passes alternating current. If you have any AC induced into your system from the alternator (which produces AC), that capacitor will ground the AC (to get rid of it) and block the DC.

If you ever get a nasty alternator whine in your radio, connecting a capacitor from ground to the radio hot lead is a standard way to solve the problem. The Army did it with the CUCV to keep alternator whine out of the vehicles communications.

Matt Kahle

I don't have a radio in the truck at the moment but, I will add one someday then I will fix that ground. As for the altnators I rebuilt them a few years ago but, screwed up gen2 I replaced the voltage regulator 2 times (one with a new one and the seconded time with the old one)

MarcusOReallyus

I don't have a radio in the truck at the moment but, I will add one someday then I will fix that ground.

It's not a ground. Put a ground wire there and you'll have smoke. It needs to be a capacitor, and it needs to be connected correctly.

If you have a problem on a music radio, best place for a cap is right at the radio.

As for that part, as doghead said, just delete it. Not really needed.

Matt Kahle

Yeah I will just put a band pass filter on the radio.
Ah I did something cool today I just added the passenger side radio rack.

Getting pass radio stuff, and back to electronic parts.
I have been shopping on aspwholesale for alternator parts.
I was looking at all the voltage regulators which one do I need?
The resistor is that 40 ohms?

As for the gen 2 relay how would I know if it's shot.
What signs would I see if it were.

The gen 2 diode how can I tell if that's shot?
If I can tell what is the part number for that?

http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?page=3&act=viewCat&searchStr=+Delco+27SI&Submit=Go

dependable

You could just buy the re build kit from them. But if you know you have a 27SI type 100, you should be able to find the parts. Most of the regulators on the page you linked are for type 200, so, you probably want the D101HD.

Test diodes with continuity tester on multimeter. Should only pass current one way.

Dieselnatalie

I have to have a giggle at the mention of suppressors; back in the 'days of the magic wood' with old cars and motorbikes, you would see curtains being pulled back and fists shaken when some badly suppressed splutterbug passed down a street,
ruining radio reception with fizzes and crackles, and filling telly screens with snow and radar-like lines.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks