• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More electrical ghosts - M1009

Whit

Well what I am experiencing with my 1984 M1009 is a series of issues, which I now think may be interrelated, and I wonder if I might not think out loud here what a proposed solution is before committing.

1) My washer pump and windshield wipers come on and stay on at the same time - do not operate independently (this is the subject of a post I placed on this board a couple days ago). The only reason I am restating it here is because of a possible link to other issues.

2) My headlights are stuck on hi-beam (won't dim). When I pull on the dimmer switch handle thingie (technical term, right?) on the steering column, I don't feel a that good old reassuring click: its just kind springy.

3) The turn signals work on the outside (for the world to see) but a) Do not show up on the instrument panel, and b) the turn signal switch that comes off the steering column does not automatically restore to the "off" position once I have turned a corner and straightened the vehicle out.

All of these problems may indeed have individual solutions, but I'm thinking they also have at least one single thing in common: the dimmer switch/turn-signal/windshield washer-wiper switch that protrudes from the steering column. The little voice in my ear says "replace that and be done", the other voice says "fool, there are no easy solutions!"

Sooooo.... before I do anything with this (as it has the feel of a potentially big project for a guy with my limitations), I'd sure appreciate some comments....

Thanks in advance and warmly,

Whit

grayw0lf

They sound to me like independent problems, but who knows. These things are electrical nightmares.

Cleaning the thru-firewall main wiring harness connection is a good idea on all these trucks & is never a bad place to start (though probably not the problem here). #1 & #2 could be related. I think #3 will be something on the cluster.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like was stated in your other thread, it is time to disasemble your steering colulm and clean/replace the turnsignal cam, switch and control arm.

With the "thingie" not snapping into place and just springy, that is a good indication it is time for a rebuild/cleaning.

While you are at it remove the instrument cluster and clean/repair it. It has been documented in many threads.

These truck are 25+ years old and have been exposed to very harsh environments.

They WILL and DO require alot of maintenance and upkeep.

I wouldn't have it any other way!!!! :driver::driver::driver:

While

mistaken1

The little voice in my ear says "replace that and be done", the other voice says "fool, there are no easy solutions!"

Sooooo.... before I do anything with this (as it has the feel of a potentially big project for a guy with my limitations), I'd sure appreciate some comments....

Thanks in advance and warmly,

Whit
Sounds like a good starting point to me.

Whit

Well, I went in after the electrical system with a vengance:
1) Cleaned all contacts with both electrical contact cleaner spray and point file where I could
2) Lubed up the cam arrangement on the windshield wiper/washer motor - it now works!
3) Replaced all lightbulbs in the dash - we got lights where I had not seen them before, such as trafficator blinker lights.
4) Cleaned out the fusebox and replaced all fuses - at least half of them were the wrong size per the TM, now all correct.

NEW PROBLEM: when I go to put my headlights on it keeps blowing the fuse after a few seconds. The headlights go out...the dash lights. Arrgh! What next? This thing is like the many headed hydra, lop off one head and seven more appear! (well sorta)

Any suggestions kindly appreciated!

Thanks,

Whit

Capt.Marion

I'd start checking your ground connections. There is one behind the gauge cluster that grounds the cluster electronics, and I'd also pay a visit to the headlight grounds. As for the latter, someone posted a thread recently about the whereabouts of the grounds for the headlights.

davidkroberts

dont get upset...... right now i have one dash light, a non working battery meter. a tire out of alignment, and a leaking input seal in the transmission......... so far everything is normal i just picked it up a few days ago.......aua

as for the headlight dimmer when you take the two bolts out that drop the sterring column you should see a rod at about the 9 o'clock position on the shaft that goes into a film casister sized white plastic switch. when the turn signal lever is pulled back you should hear and feel an audible click as the rod activates that switch

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks