• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More glow plug questions

msoumas

I've got a new set of 070 plugs in my truck but it's looking like they're not getting power. I need to get a new multimeter to confirm that, but I'm about 90% certain of it at this point. I'm planning on doing the manual glow plug switch fix (simple version with blue wire to switch). In the meanwhile though, it looks like the truck might have to be moved a couple times before I can do anything to it. My question is... is there a single spot I can "jump" to manually feed power to the plugs to get it started?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the safest way to "jump" the GPs, would be to simply use a jumper wire from a good clean ground, to the terminal on the GP relay with the Light Blue wire. This will only work if you have voltage to the GP relay and your relay is good.

Or, If you were to apply power directly to the Output side of the relay, from the positive terminal (front battery), that would work also. It will definitely cause a large arc and possibly cause some damage to the terminal. It will be a HIGH Amp connection. You will need to uses a fairly large gauge wire(8 or 6 ga). This would be the only way to "jump" power directly to the GPs without using any other components in the system. (I don't recommend you do it this way.)

I have sent you a PM before asking you to follow the rules and include your State, in your location info. You have not responded. Are you having trouble with PMs?

msoumas

Well, the safest way to "jump" the GPs, would be to simply use a jumper wire from a good clean ground, to the terminal on the GP relay with the Light Blue wire. This will only work if you have voltage to the GP relay and your relay is good.

Or, If you were to apply power directly to the Output side of the relay, from the positive terminal (front battery), that would work also. It will definitely cause a large arc and possibly cause some damage to the terminal. It will be a HIGH Amp connection. You will need to uses a fairly large gauge wire(8 or 6 ga). This would be the only way to "jump" power directly to the GPs without using any other components in the system. (I don't recommend you do it this way.)

I have sent you a PM before asking you to follow the rules and include your State, in your location info. You have not responded. Are you having trouble with PMs?

So if the controller is the problem, the safer method won't do anything? What I'm getting is the Wait light turning on, staying on a little longer than usual (usually shuts off before the "clunk", now shuts off after), and apparently no power to the plugs.

I just checked, and it doesn't look like I've gotten any PM's from you. Last PM I have is from May, if that helps. Thanks for the heads up though, I'll add my state to the location.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jumping the small stud (light blue wire) to ground will bypass the controller card. Doing it this way only will only require a good relay and power to the relay and good glowplugs.

Last edited:

msoumas

Well, it looks like I've finally got an answer, thanks to a long overdue new multimeter. I've got voltage on the orange relay lead with the key in "off" position, so I'll be buying a new relay tomorrow.

Monroe V.F.D. 514

I wired up the new relay, and it took a half a second of cranking to fire up. [thumbzup]
Sweet it might be a week or so before i can find out if this is my problem also, as i cant make purchases for the fire department im just the truck maintenance guy but thanks for the info.
Edit: sorry for the newbie question but could you give me the part number of the relay you got?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet it might be a week or so before i can find out if this is my problem also, as i cant make purchases for the fire department im just the truck maintenance guy but thanks for the info.
Edit: sorry for the newbie question but could you give me the part number of the relay you got?
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.

Make sure you visit the CUCV FAQ Article (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum. All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are list and many other helpful bits of information.
Download the manuals for reference. Also the wiring diagrams are in the appendix.

Also checkout the FAQ Thread for CUCV's stickey. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.

Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Warthog

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks