• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More help needed for M551

Iyaayas184

Thank you to all who helped me last year on the Sheridan at the Kansas Museum of Military History! Now that it is getting warm I am back working on reinstalling all the intenal components that had been stripped out. I think I have located almost everything but the driver's instrument and switch panel. I would like to kow if anyone has an electronic version of the TM's for a Sheridan? I am primarily needing electrical and those dealing with rigging the driver's controls.

Also, in genral do tanlks tend to leak when they are rained on. I can't seem to stop water from getting inside of the M551. Might just need to throw some RTV on the top of the gaskets to seal them better.

Thanks,

Bob:-D

Wild Horse Hans

The only idea I have is contacting the 82nd ABN PR people. They should still have some M551s in inventory as they are the only tank that can fit in a C130 for LAPES drops.
It has been a 20 years since I was there so I may be wrong and they are all gone now, but I would bet they still have some manuals around for them.
Wish I could offer more help.
Hans

ETA: The M551s always leaked some. Used to say we were getting out to dry off in rainstorms. Seemed that no matter where you sat in one, water would run down the back of your neck. I was talking to a soldier the other day who drives the new version of the old V100 and he said they leak like mad.

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M551's are gone out of the Army system for YEARS now.. Even the NTC doesnt use them anymore.. But the bone yard they had for them was pretty impressive.
PM me, I might be able to help you. What TM#'s are you looking for?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The 82nd has not had 551's for years (since the late 90's I think). The last ones to use them were the folks at NTC but like Mark said, they're even gone from there.

I know there are some at Anniston AL but doubt they will be able to help much on repair parts.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can get pics and measurements I doubt parts though. Got pics of your resto?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Also, in genral do tanlks tend to leak when they are rained on. I can't seem to stop water from getting inside of the M551. Might just need to throw some RTV on the top of the gaskets to seal them better.

Thanks,

All tanks leak, that's why since the 50's they have a tarp in their BII. The M1's are not as bad as the M60s and they were a lot better than the M511.
Bob, what part of Kansas are you in?? I am up here in DeSoto. Dave2cents

I would like to kow if anyone has an electronic version of the TM's for a Sheridan? I am primarily needing electrical and those dealing with rigging the driver's controls.

Thanks,

Hi Bob,
If you are unable to find electronic versions of the TM's, there's a guy on eBay who has several M551 TM's reasonably priced: eBay Store - Manuals and Stuff: Category 9, Category 1, Category 11 As I'm currently working on a M551 photo project, I recently bought a Operator's Manual from him for reference and was completely happy with the transaction.

Best regards,

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's your addy, I have a bunch of pdf manuals for that vehicle. I'll make a copy and drop in the mail this week.
Jason

PS: Any Dragoon 300 parts, aka, M113 and 5 ton cargo truck parts you want to trade or sale.