• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

more m35a3 than 5,484

goodguyzy

this is taken from Erik's military surplus:

Note on M35A3 VIN numbers (serial numbers)
All trucks known so far have a VIN in the format 50xxxx where the last 4 digits were apparently numbered in sequence as the trucks were built. The VIN is stamped in the frame and on the dash data plate. Research so far indicates 5,484 M35A3's were built; so the last truck made would have a VIN of 505484. The first truck should be VIN 500001.

observed from GL:2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation

notice the SN/505486

goodguyzy

maybe it could be, but also saw another sn/505485. so I'm thinking that was correct. maybe a SS member won the trucks and can verify. BTW those trucks are going pretty cheap around 3K without winch. I'm jealous

goodguyzy

even at 6k plus i think that that is a good deal as next or so year, in my uniformed opinion, they will be at 10K. i will keep an eye out on S/N to see how high they go.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A3's go into the 5500 range. Erik's site is wrong. Can't believe I just asked this yesterday too.:cookoo:

mktopside

Banned
But didn't someone say that not all of them were built by AM General?

IIRC some were converted at some national guard depot somewhere, and that's what accounts for the odd differences between some. I dunno, I'm just parroting what I read.

lonegunman

They sold a lot of high number trucks at that auction, all from Ellsworth. They had 5452, 5468,5472, 5476 and 5477 as well as 5486 and 0050.

They averaged close to $7250.00 per truck with buyers commission and tax. They had a winch truck go for only $5762 but it had replaced gages and was listed as "does not run".

If AM General only made 5484 trucks and they know exactly how many they made, we should not be able to find trucks with higher serial numbers.

Last edited:

rwoods

Good luck getting AM General to confirm anything. I can't get them to reply to any of my inquiries to confirm that 500001 is the first production truck so I doubt they'll confirm how many they built. The local paper there didn't even have an article about the trucks beyond articles relating to winning the contract, a renewal of the contract and the end of the contract. I wouldn't be surprised if AM General built some that didn't go to Uncle Sam as they are still marketing classes on repair and maintenace of the M35A3. Ron

militarysteel

driving the a3 down the road is like night and day to a a2, that automatic is great. CTIS, big tires, Dual Brake circuits, Electric wipers, Great millage, padding and muffler, you can have a normal conversation in one while going down the road!

goodguyzy

yes they are nice, im new to the A3 world, one problem im having is with the low air buzzer. does it have a buzzer or just the light? maybe my light bulb is just burned out

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this is taken from Erik's military surplus:

Note on M35A3 VIN numbers (serial numbers)
All trucks known so far have a VIN in the format 50xxxx where the last 4 digits were apparently numbered in sequence as the trucks were built. The VIN is stamped in the frame and on the dash data plate. Research so far indicates 5,484 M35A3's were built; so the last truck made would have a VIN of 505484. The first truck should be VIN 500001.

observed from GL:2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation

notice the SN/505486
I have found the next to the last one, M35A3 #505483

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks