• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More M880 Questions?

closedknuckle

Thanks for all the great info, and I have a few more questions. Have any of you seen an M880 with a Kilometer speedometer? I recently picked up another M880, and, wow, the speedometer is im Kilometres per Hour, and mphs is little on the inside. Odometer is also in Kilometers. Did any of these get built for the Canadian military like they did with m37s, and the dodges with the fargo bodies?

N1265

Yes, some of these trucks were delivered to the Canadian military. however I have not seen an M880 with a kilometre speedo so I cant say for sure if the trucks sent up north were any different than ours......

Elwenil

It's entirely possible that a Canadian civilian instrument panel was swapped in at some point. Dodge/Fargo trucks have been sold in Canada forever.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No M880's were sold to Canada (M880 is a US designation)
The Canadian Army did have 1976 model W200's with 4 speed manual transmissions.
US Gov't replacement speedos had both MPH and KPH yet the odometer was in miles.

N1265

Does it still have the data plate on the dash ? does it say US Property on the bottom ?

Maybe the truck is a clone made up by a previous owner........

closedknuckle

hi n1265,
Yes it has the data plate and it says U.S. Property on it. And I checked the odometer against mile markers on the highway and it is 1.5 between mile markers?

N1265

look for a warranty sticker to the right of the data plate, these are a lot of hassel to reproduce and if the truck is a clone it probably would not have one.

If a warranty sticker is there ( or if you are otherwise 100% sure it is a M880 ) then Elwenil is probably correct in saying the instriment panel was probably replaced.

Here is a picture of the sticker I am talking about.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The KM speedo was available so trucks in the european theatre could be retrofitted so soldiers could follow speed limits posted in KM/hr.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The KM speedo was available so trucks in the european theatre could be retrofitted so soldiers could follow speed limits posted in KM/hr.
That is conceivable, but the mph/kph speedo superceded the mph only one, and when the supply of MPH only ones ran out dual scale one were used.
US units were large MPH and small inner kph with miles on the odometer.
There could be a millions reasons for why it was changed

N1265

Did we even bother to ship these trucks back to the U.S. from Europe ? or even the CUCVs for that matter ?

Just wondering........

malcolmh887

m880 front wheel bearing

i have a 1979 m887, i am looking for front wheel bearings. it has a dana44, with one straight bearing on each side. any thoughts. thank you ........mac