• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More random multifuel thoughts: Alcohol?

idM1028

Just had another random thought about the multifuel engines in the deuce and halves: Has anybody ever set one of these up to be say, E85 capable or even run on it on a straight mixture of alcohol/ethanal or any sort of ***anol? I mean, they're supposed to be MULTIFUEL engines right? Now before this thread breaks down, yes I understand that E85 and what-not doesn't deliver the same fuel efficiency as straight gasoline or diesel and it is corrosive and will eat parts in your fuel system, I'm just curious.

By the way, E10 or water/methanol injection doesn't count!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Absolutely no lubricity in gas, E85, methanol, etc. If you put straight fuel like the afore mentioned in a multi, it will have the same end result as if it was put in a regular diesel, fuel system component damage from lack of lube, (provided it runs long enough to do damage), and base engine damage, a high compression engine designed to use compression as the ignition source tend to make pieces start eroding and falling off like piston crowns, injector tips, valve seats and such. Look on the data plate that tells what fuels are acceptable. It states no av gas. E85 is like av gas, higher octane and VERY dry. I've run a boat load of different mixes of fuel but I don't think I'd try ethanol or av gas even if it were free.

Flyingvan911

E85 is also bad for older rubber gaskets , seals, etc. The alcohol destroys the rubber. That's another thing different in flex-fuel vehicles. I think a deuce burning E85 would start to spring some leaks.

JasonS

There is a study onine which examined using ethanol in the LDT; I recall the results weren't good. IMHO, using "alternative" fuels is like dumpster diving for a half-eaten donut.

flyxpl

Old gaskets would not like it . Also the alcohol may not light correctly/ at the right time without a spark because of the higher octane rating , that is why they do not recommend the use of AV gas in the multi fuel . Race cars on alcohol take much more alcohol to make the same amount of power when the car is on gasoline , so if it would work instead of getting 6-8 mpg you may get 4mpg .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks