• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More Rear Axle Seal Questions

randygk

Should be enough

Are you giving it enough air?

The little 1/4 inch industrial fittings, and 1/4 inch ID hoses are not big enough to feed the 3/4 inch guns with the air volume they need. If you must use fittings, use the 1/2 inch Auto style fittings, and a 3/8 inch ID hose.

-Chuck
I started using about 100 ft of hose - 3/8 and 1/2 inch id. So pulled the hub (doing wheel bearings anyway) with wheel to the shop and used 15 ft of 1/4 hose with no improvement. The manual says the wrench uses 7 cfm @ 90 psi, and Milton says their 1/4 inch couplers are good for about 40 cfm. I have an older better quality 1/2 inch impact gun and the sound it makes has more authority. I guess you get what you pay for. I understand Harbor Frt has a "Earthquake" brand gun, but now I'm a little hesitant.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the 3/4" Earthquake and it is a real beast. I did start out with 1/4" air fittings and did not get good performance. When with a 1/2" hose and 3/8" air fittings and it works great.

stumps

The standard 1/4 inch air fittings are 1/8 inch ID, and won't pass enough air to run a 3/4 inch or 1 inch impact wrench with any authority. The smallest fitting that works is the 1/4 inch ID Auto style fittings. They are 1/2 inch OD.

1/2 inch ID hose is preferred. But I get by ok with 3/8 inch ID hose. Best would be to dedicate the hose to the impact wrench, and screw it directly to the wrench.

-Chuck

RAYZER

And yet another way too remove a wheel set with hub attached is to do it like the Egyptians would have done it , get some sced 40 1/2" pvc pipe and cut 6 pcs about 3' long and a price of 3/4" x 2'6" x 2'6" plywood. You get the picture, that 350 lb wheel set will roll straight out with little effort!

RAYZER

I bought a 1" industrial impact from harbour freight, this baby should do the job! and gives me a good excuse to buy a buy a big compressor!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run the 1/4 inch "high flo" fittings on everything. It took a 1 inch HF gun with 1/2 hose and 3/8 fittings to get the lugs loose after the tire shop over tightened them, but now they come off fine with my 1/2 inch Craftsman gun and truck air - just like before I took it to the tire shop.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/59049-lugs-overtightened.html

Last edited:

stumps

Just so everyone knows what we're talking about. On the left is the high flow "Auto" style, on the right is the more common, and unsuitable for a 3/4" gun, industrial type.

-Chuck

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks