• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

more room behind wheel m35a2 help?

Mayor Joe

I'm having the same 'fitting' problem. I was also wondering about the suggestion of 'raising' the steering and couldn't really see what was done in the photos. Can you provide more clarification PLEASE.

I've moved the seat back and installing a smaller wheel, but I'd like to raise the wheel also.

Thanks.

Mayor Joe
1971 M35A2 (in memory of SSGT Paul Blust - 5A-3387AA - Aug 44 to March 45)

JCKnife

I'm 6'7" and it's cramped but doable. I wouldn't want to vacation in it but that was never the plan anyway. Might check out the M800 wheel as was suggested, though--my steering wheel is cracked anyway and could use replacing.

Mayor Joe

Making room in the M35a2

I'm working on the same problem. I need A LOT of room. So far, I've taken a box seat and modified the seat back - angling it to 90 degrees - this allowed me to move it back another 4 inches. It's still comfortable. We're also raising it 1-1/2" inches. Next step is we're going to shorten the steering column about 4 inches which should be all I need. Last option is a smaller wheel, but I'm having a tough time finding one.
Photos attached of the modified seat. Let me know if you need more info or hear of any other options.

Attachments

Divemaster920

Banned
Hummm......Have you checked to see if the "boys" are going to have a new friend when exiting the truck? With the E-Brake engaged. You may have to raise it a tad bit more.

saddamsnightmare

January 17th, 2010.

I guess that the M35's weren't originally designed to have Mongo drive them, it seems like a lot of work to get room behind the wheel. Wouldn't it be easier to shed a few pounds...? Most of us are not 20 year old GI's and I'll bet few modern GI's are the size they were in the 1940's when the trucks were designed. Maybe you need to get Memphis to craft you a cab and a half for the deuce, but then you're gonna loose bed length... You really wouldn't like trying to get into an S404.114 Unimog, the cab's tighter yet then the deuce and a heck of a climb up the tires to get in and a heck of a jump to get out.

Just a thought,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:p

Pawnshop

I'm working on the same problem. I need A LOT of room. So far, I've taken a box seat and modified the seat back - angling it to 90 degrees - this allowed me to move it back another 4 inches. It's still comfortable. We're also raising it 1-1/2" inches. Next step is we're going to shorten the steering column about 4 inches which should be all I need. Last option is a smaller wheel, but I'm having a tough time finding one.
Photos attached of the modified seat. Let me know if you need more info or hear of any other options.

That's pretty much what I did, but by removing the entire seat back and leaning against the back of the cab I got a few more inches of clearance.

I love the idea that simply loosing weight will solve all cab clearance problems... I need shorter legs, smaller boots and a new hip that has more than the 70% of movement that my stock unit has.

saddamsnightmare

January 17th, 2010.

Gents:

Now that I've got your attention.

Perhaps a poor choice of words in the allusion, but historically speaking, most of us alive in America today are physically larger then either the Civil War or WWII generations. These trucks were designed based on physical stature of the average American for which
the data was available, and that states the Average American GI ran about 5'8-5'10" tall and about 138 lbs (in WWII). How many of us now fit those parameters? The M35 was designed in 1948-1949 and in its cab dimensions reflects about the same size as a civillian truck of comparable size of that era.
I cannot imagine a 6'10" man being comfortable in a deuce cab on either side, due to the combination of front to back length and cab height. I would take this opportunity to ask Mr. bracebldr, if you perhaps are 6'10" tall, how many modern mid size cars and trucks, or full size cars and trucks, do you find comfortable on a long drive today? I;m about 6'2" and 214 lbs, built like a working blacksmith, which is to say large through the shoulders, yet I find few, if any modern vehicles I can ride in comfortably due to cab height, length and "A" pillar angles, and some vehicles I just won't assay because I know I won't be able to get out easily.....

If yu want to try a tight cab, Sir, I suggest attempting to drive either a Unimog S404.114 or a USMC M422A1 Mighty Mite (the long one). I've owned both, and I would posit that you would not like either one based on the limitations of the design as referred to the drivers seat position and layout. Neither of these vehicles permit much adjustment of the situation, the Unimog can have its cab altered as to length, the wheelbase on the M422A1 does not admit of it, yet both were designed for common American and European GI's at the time they were manufactured. I am just pointing out the realities of the design, the intent was not to insult those who find these limitations troubling....

With that, I render an apology to those who were inadvertently offended,

I remain,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Pawnshop

No offense taken by me! I have the triple whammy of being tall, round and somewhat handicapped. When I tried to get behind the wheel of my Deuce for the first time I nearly cried:cry: I got my body behind the wheel but could NOT get my feet on the pedals. There are not many MVs I can drive without alteration, and some not at all, that just means I have to "improvise, adapt and overcome"

The last time I tried to sit in the driver's seat of a Corvette I had to run the seat all the way to the rear, and down, and still had to take the T top off to clear my head! I had to open the door to work the clutch in a Suzuki Samurai and a Ford Ranger (not enough room between the door and steering wheel to put my knee, couldn't fully engage the clutch). I drove a '62 VW Type 1 for 10 years with no troubles and have ridden fine in the passenger seat of a Triumph TR6, so not EVERY small car is designed for small people.

Last edited:

Jinx

Another option for us tall folks is to cut away the firewall/floor and relocate the pedals further away. There is plenty of empty space under the cab. :-D

GreenDoc

Not that it will help you fit in your rig any better, but keep in mind that anyone UNDER 60" (5'-0"), or OVER 80" tall (6'-6") could only enlist with a Medical HEIGHT WAIVER!!:-(
...& in my experience ( as a Corpsman with the Marines) it RARELY happens.

Your problem is precisely the reason they have Height (& weight) limits.

chgofiveo

I have purchased a M818 and plan to cut the cab behind the drivers door and move the back wall of the cab back six to eight inches and install filler panels with supports. Then reposition the seat and modify/relocate the spare tire and utility box. I may also replace the fifth wheel with a modified cargo box. (Dont forget about the 52" tires and HEMTT wheels) Im also 6'4 260 and dont fit my M35A2 so well.

Anyone else try this?
Any comments or suggestions for this mod?

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

January 18th, 2010.

CHGOFIVEO:

Sounds like a solution that should work for you. It been done by others creating a cab and a half or double cabin cab. The real pain would seem to be lenthening the soft top side rails or the hard top roof, given that the dimensions are determined by the stock design.
You cab roof makes is gonna love making up that new canvas or vinyl top, but dope us a photo when you are done. It might also behoove you to find an air seat out to a rebuilt HEMTT, might as well go for comfort while you are at it.
If you are a golfer, stretch the cab a little more and put a bag door in behind the passengers seat, I've seen that on a couple of 1920/1930 Cadillac and Packard roadsters, for the man with money who likes to golf (think Thurston Howell III here folks!):razz:.
Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks