• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"More space behind the steering wheel - move the steering column bracket higher"

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"More space behind the steering wheel - move the steering column bracket higher"

This advice has come up a few times in different threads. I decided to investigate whether this really works.

Description of the setup:

- the steering column attaches to the steering box without a U-joint. While the angle of the steering column is determined by the mounting angle of the steering box, there is a bit of "flex" or "give" in the arrangement that allows the steering wheel to sit a bit higher or a bit lower.

- The steering column is designed to be part of the frame assembly of the truck - after opening the bracket on the dash, the cab can be lifted off the truck with the steering column left in place. The dash has a cutout for the steering column that allows that to happen.

IMG_20170830_171331.jpg

How do you gain extra height?

- in order to gain some added height, it is necessary to move the steering column upwards in the dash cutout. This is only possible by taking all 5 bolts out of the steering column bracket and the dash, moving the column upwards and holding it there while marking new mounting holes for the bracket.

My big caveat is this: Before you attempt this, take the time to verify whether IN YOUR TRUCK there is any room left to move the column higher. Inspect the cutout and run your finger up the steering column from behind. Is there a sizeable gap between the top of the cutout and the column? If you have less than maybe 3/4 of an inch, I suggest you do not bother.

IMG_20170830_171647.jpg
If the upper margin of the bracket sits that close to the data plate, you likely have no room left to lift the column.

Why check before?

- taking the five bolts out (7/16, nut and large washer on the back) is a PITA; dash reinforcements are in the way everywhere. The lowest two bolts are the easiest. Unlock the instrument panel and move it away, so you can get your hand and arm inside. This is a must to get to the top bolt. I used a 3/8 long extension without a ratchet to grab the nut and also, with nut and washer taped to the socket, to put the assembly back together.

- Once you have the bolts out, take the 9/16 bolt out that clamps the column to the bracket so you can move the bracket on the steering column.

- Push the column as high as it will go (without undue force) or until it hits the top of the dash cutout. Slide the bracket in place and mark the location of the new top hole.

- Drill new top hole and put bolt, washer, nut in place. Have fun doing that.

- make sure bracket is level and drill new bolt holes in the other 4 locations, using the bracket holes as a guide.

- Put the other 4 bolts in place. For the left upper bolt you may want to use an offset box wrench (the one that has a bent neck), put the nut in, tape the washer on top and slide the whole shebang behind the hole while you peek with a flashlight from the front. Put the bolt in through the washer into the nut in the box wrench and hope it catches. Drop it, swear, repeat.

After all this is done, you "may" have gained an extra inch, maybe more if your bracket was mounted really low. Maybe. You might also need a couple of band aids.

In my truck, I gained nothing. I should have thoroughly inspected the assembly before even loosening the first bolt. This writeup is mainly so I can say it was not a total waste of time!

Last edited:

TGP (IL)

Sounds like a good plan, but I would be cautious about putting the column in a bind
And stressing it to the point where the jacket(tube) or shaft can fail.

Ideally when you fasten the column to the dash you do so with it being "neutral"

I have seen a few columns/shafts broken from being out of alignment on other vehicles
With the same type set up.
Tom

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since there is no other bracket that holds the steering column, "neutal" is actually not that easy to determine. When you unlock the bottom clip of the bracket, the steering column is only supported by the steering box - quite the long lever! I would therefore assume that moving the column a tad higher merely removes the effect of the column's weight. There is so little room to lift it, that I do not think stress is a big issue. If one were to extend the cutout - that could be a problem!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks