• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More Starting Issues 1985 M1009

myolddiesel

Hey Guys,

Long time since I've been on here. Basically my truck sat for a while but due to a someone wrecking my wife's car its become my daily again.
Its started up fine and I drove it around for a few days when one day while I was driving heard a "zap" from the starter relay. (it has the doghead mod and it was not secured properly:( ) It still drove fine but when I tried to start it up all I got was a 'click' from the relay. I replaced it checked all the connections and this time I heard a louder 'click' seemingly from the starter it self?. Now all I get is the 'click' from the relay. Any thoughts on what I may have shorted out this is my daily, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

cucvrus

Sounds like the starter checked out and gave up. I would remove the starter and have it rebuilt at a reputable shop. Is it a direct drive or a gear reduction?

myolddiesel

I have no Idea how would I check? And would you maybe know of anyone in the Jackson, Toms River area of NJ that would do it?

and would it be cheaper then buying one off ebay/amazon for $100 ? Thanks!

cucvrus

Look at the starter does it look like an ordinary GM starter or does it appear different. 140-936-140-936-new-osgr-starter-for-delco-28mt-12v-10t-cw-328MT.jpgThis is a 28 MT gear reduction starter. 336-1847Direct Drive.jpgThis is a direct drive starter. Which one do you have?

Last edited:

cucvrus

And as far as how much it cost to rebuild. I just drop it off and pay the bill when I pick it up. I never bothered buying any starters or alternators off line. If I have issues I like to deal with the guy face to face. But $100. starter sounds inexpensive enough. I wouldn't sell any of my rebuilt starters or alternators for $100. But remember this also. You MUST have good batteries. Not just 2 12 volt batteries. 2 12 volt batteries that are load tested and able to pass the load test within the parameters of the original CCA of the battery being tested. So if you have 850 CCA batteries and they hold 12 volts but have 500CCA they are eating the starter alive every time you start it. Starters hate low amperage.

LT67

Hey Guys,

Long time since I've been on here. Basically my truck sat for a while but due to a someone wrecking my wife's car its become my daily again.
Its started up fine and I drove it around for a few days when one day while I was driving heard a "zap" from the starter relay. (it has the doghead mod and it was not secured properly:( ) It still drove fine but when I tried to start it up all I got was a 'click' from the relay. I replaced it checked all the connections and this time I heard a louder 'click' seemingly from the starter it self?. Now all I get is the 'click' from the relay. Any thoughts on what I may have shorted out this is my daily, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sounds like the starter checked out and gave up. I would remove the starter and have it rebuilt at a reputable shop. Is it a direct drive or a gear reduction?
What cucvrus said... sounds like your starter took a dump on you. I recently had the same issue. Wound up getting the starter rebuilt and now it turns that 6.2 over real fast.

** since you're going to have the starter off, get brand new AC Delco starter bolts and nothing else. Hardened aftermarket bolts will break inside the block. The mechanic didn't use AC Delco bolts and my freshly rebuilt starter snapped a new bolt in 5 days.

AC Delco 6.2 starter bolt part #15544950

Last edited:

cucvrus

They are interchangeable yes. It will require a differnt starter support bracket or cutting and drilling the direct drive bracket. But it is easy to do or buy a new gear reduction bracket. GM part
23502557. I hope that helps. Make sure that bracket is in place and may as well put new starter bolts on also. A reputable starter shop will have the bracket and the good starter bolts. Keep in mind the starter bolts are Metric M10 x 1.5 thread. Also the 3/8" x 16 standard bolts will fit and get tight to a point but not truly tight. Also the bolt going into the block for the support bracket is M12 x 1.25. Don't jam a 5/16" in the hole. Good Luck I hope it all works out for you. .http://leidyrepair.com/ This is the company I use for all my electrical repairs and rebuilds. Good people to deal with fast and honest. They also sell gauges and make new battery cables for CUCV's. Good Luck. I hope you are up and running soon. Can someone fix the color?